Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Disabling Daylight running lights

Views : 23916

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2010, 12:43   #31
stevo48
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton_jd View Post
I agree. DRL's also detract from a car's natural design. I spent time neatening up the front of my S40, and to always have headlights on makes it less noticable.
So you turn off a safety feature because it (in your opinion) spoils the look of your car...................................unbelievable !!!
So in the event of someone pulling out from a junction into your path causing a collision, the police might ask due to you owning a Volvo, "did you have your drl's switched on".............imo to switch off your drl's shows a blatant disregard for your own and other road users safety, it has been proven over many years and in many countries that drl's reduce accidents, why do you think motorcyclists have to have their headlamps switched on at all times, it is to make them more visible to other road users, by the same principle that is why having drl's displayed will become law in 2011.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 12:48   #32
stevo48
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlerider View Post
I'm confused - I thought the original poster asked for information about disabling the running lights - not whether or not he should do so.

This safety idea seems to me to be another example of modern society's greed, "I have my lights on so everyone can see me - therefore I'm safer." What happens when everyone has running lights? Easy: familiarity breeds contempt - they become normal and no-one takes any notice any more. All we end-up achieving is another huge waste of energy. Now you really would think someone like Volvo would have had the wit to realise this, wouldn't you?

There's an easier way to avoid accidents - drive responsibly and pay attention! How many of us, honestly, do?

Agreed, but how many times in winter conditions have you gone to pull out of a junction only to realise there is a dark coloured car approaching that you nearly didn't see because it didn't have lights turned on, I know it has happened to me on a number of occasions and its not just down to me not concentrating it is fact that in adverse or dull conditions darker cars against a dark /dull sky are difficult to see and if you can see them it can also be difficult to determine whether or not the car is moving.

I have to dissagree with your other statement regarding society and greed, and familiarity breeds contempt????
If I am walking or otherwise and i see a car with its headlamps on I do not step out /pull out in front of it because I have no wish to cause an accident or injury to myself or anyone else and i dont think for one minute that people are going to "take no notice" as has already been said it is a tried and proven safety feature tested over many many years.

Last edited by stevo48; Mar 13th, 2010 at 12:56.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 22:23   #33
Clan
Experienced Member

I fully agree , and dont forget volvo introdced day running lights 34 years ago , and only now has the rest of the world caught up .. Volvo introduced rear fog lights too at the same time , it took nearly 10 years before the rest of the world caught on .. I was there at the beginning and have seen in practice many many times over those 34 years and 600,000 + miles out on the open road in many different volvos and also driving "other " cars .the benefits of day running lights .
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 15:55   #34
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

I remember 5 or so years ago, Arriva announced that all buses would run with their headlights on. I wondered at the time what the point of this was, but I was only 15 so didnt realise!
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 17:37   #35
Derek S40

I acquired my S40 2 months ago and the DRL was already off. The manual shows how to turn it off and on.

After reading this thread I have decided that when my wife gets back with my car this evening I am going to turn them back on, at least until the summer - then I'll decide if I should keep them on or turn them back off again.
Derek S40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 18:17   #36
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo48 View Post
So you turn off a safety feature because it (in your opinion) spoils the look of your car...................................unbelievable !!!
So in the event of someone pulling out from a junction into your path causing a collision, the police might ask due to you owning a Volvo, "did you have your drl's switched on".............imo to switch off your drl's shows a blatant disregard for your own and other road users safety, it has been proven over many years and in many countries that drl's reduce accidents, why do you think motorcyclists have to have their headlamps switched on at all times, it is to make them more visible to other road users, by the same principle that is why having drl's displayed will become law in 2011.
Are you joking me? Why should I have to have put my headlights on because OTHER people don't look before they pull out?

Shall I spray the car with glow in the dark paint with a flashing neon sign above it stating "CAR COMING".???

Fricking look before you pull out. If visibility is bad or its dark, Put your headlamps on.

Jesus this is simple stuff.

Last edited by fenton_jd; Feb 11th, 2011 at 18:21.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fenton_jd For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 18:17   #37
Clan
Experienced Member

You must have the old S40 then because you cant do it like that on the new ( 2005 and later ) S40/V50 ...
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 18:27   #38
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton_jd View Post
Are you joking me? Why should I have to have my headlights on because OTHER people don't look before they pull out?

Shall I spray the car with glow in the dark paint with a flashing neon sign above it stating "CAR COMING".???

Fricking look before you pull out. If visibility is bad or its dark. Put your headlamps on.

Jesus this is simple stuff.
you are young you havent seen it all yet , unfortunatly a lot of drivers arent as intelligent as you and i , they dont look properly and pull out in front of you , when they wouldnt if there were day running lights on to attract his eye when he was looking left and right ... ( 40 years driving experience over 500000 + miles , no accidents and saved at least 8 to 10 cars for sure from pulling out directly in front of me and certain to have caused a serious accident , saved because of day running lights , you can see these people sat there , their wheels rotate a few degrees as they have decided to pull out and stop as they notice you .
Thats always a good tip when approaching a junction with a car stopped waiting , watch their front wheels as you get closer , its much easier to spot a wheel start rotating than to see the car move forward ..
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 18:41   #39
Ragamuffin
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Thats always a good tip when approaching a junction with a car stopped waiting , watch their front wheels as you get closer , its much easier to spot a wheel start rotating than to see the car move forward ..
I thought it was just me that did this!
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 18:44   #40
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo48 View Post
why do you think motorcyclists have to have their headlamps switched on at all times

Erm, they dont! Although most choose to switch them on. Myself included, most of the time. But at least on my bike I have the choice.
GMad is offline   Reply With Quote