Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heater blowing cold air

Views : 4736

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2006, 16:59   #1
tez
tez

Default Heater blowing cold air

Hi All - me new to this although had a 740 GLE for ten years now - brill car!
BUT as it was a bit chilly this morn I put the heater on but it blew cold even after a half hour journey. Cannot see any water leaks anywhere - have topped up the expansion bottle. Could this just be the thermostat stuck? Cannot see any signs of leaks anywhere.
tez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 18:03   #2
James A
VOC Member

Maybe, but it could very well be an air lock. Have you replaced the coolant recently?
2014-Date: 1992 940SE Turbo automatic estate 'Wentworth' - The Wentworth
James A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 18:10   #3
charlotte001

replace all the coolant turning the blower to full and hot leave it running as you replace the coolant. Check the thermostat for operation and replace as necessary.

Charlotte
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 18:12   #4
alsner
In Volvo limbo

Hi, just a thought but remove the plastic cover from underneath the steering column and look for the heater valve next to the clutch pedal, move the heat control and see if the cable is connected properly. If the arm goes down then that is the valve opening as it should if it doesn't move check the cable attachment.

See pic on this thread

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=22070

Ali
I will return to the fold when the time is right.

It's Just a Ride
Bill Hicks
alsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 20:03   #5
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Is it the heater?

A friend of mine had a similar problem but he did not know where the fresh air vents in the footwells were, and his were open - he'd just bought the car!
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 23:19   #6
Rich 264
Pinball Wizard

Had same problem a while back. I tried flushing the heater matrix (disconnected pipes from back of engine where they enter bulkhead, stuck hosepipe on) but that didn't work. Replaced thermostat, original was 92degree but GSF supplied 88degree, eventually got a 92degree but didn't make much difference. Viscous fan was "wooshing" all the time, indicating the coupling had failed and was no longer slipping when it should: i replaced this and not only did the car warm up a lot quicker but it saved a lot on fuel and released a lot of power.
I had already checked the water valve in the foot well, it was working but also slightly wet, water loss was not significant but i thought it could be letting in air bubbles and air locking so i replaced this. Made a slight difference but not much. I also replaced the expansion bottle cap, as these are important for keeping the coolant at correct pressure, and at 20yrs old i think it must have been shot. When i fitted the new one i had water leaks everywhere for the first few trips!
Eventually i spent best part of an afternoon high pressure flushing, back flushing, flushing and back flushing, and you guessed it, flushing again!
Hey Presto!!
I've had roasting hot air for the last 12mths, just as hot as any 240! I have never found the 740 heat/ventilation system to be a patch on the 240, but it's red hot and it does the trick. When i finish work at 2am and the cars iced up thats important!
Rich
Rich 264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 22:23   #7
Chris1Roll

Mine was the same, a four hour drive to london and back in March, and my hands were almost frozen to the wheel.

Tried bleeding it, worked a little bit till i switched it off again, then I was back to cold again.

So i disconnected both the hoses and backflushed it for about half an hour with a hosepipe, loads of lovely gunky stuff came out. Result! Lovely and toasty!
Chris1Roll is offline   Reply With Quote