Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Soot filter full

Views : 41089

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2017, 15:21   #1
Mikesmith181

Default Soot filter full

Afternoon guys. Was just driving my car and the soot filter full just popped up on the info display, I've just had a look on google but can't find much on them, can anyone help me with where they are located and if it needs to be replaced or just cleaned out? It's a 62 plate XC60 2l D4 5 cylinder Diesel engine.
Thanks in advance.
Mikesmith181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 17:19   #2
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Hello Mike,

Me again.

Soot filter full is normally associated with small local journeys where the soot doesn't get regenerated in the DPF, because it never gets hot enough, or, you have an air leak that means to much rich fuel is going in the engine and causing sooty deposits.

Normally, the best way to get it to Regen is to take the car on a decent drive on a motorway. Give it about 30-40 mins of a decent 70 on the motorway in 5th preferably, not 6th (get the engine to push soot out if you will) and it should regenerate. If its doesn't, then you have an air leak or other associated issue. The diesel engines with DOPF like a decent run once a month to keep soot levels down.

Did you ever get to the bottom of your car stuttering ? Maybe this is one in the same issue ?

Last edited by colinbos; Mar 7th, 2017 at 17:27.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 20:18   #3
Mikesmith181

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinbos View Post
Hello Mike,

Me again.

Soot filter full is normally associated with small local journeys where the soot doesn't get regenerated in the DPF, because it never gets hot enough, or, you have an air leak that means to much rich fuel is going in the engine and causing sooty deposits.

Normally, the best way to get it to Regen is to take the car on a decent drive on a motorway. Give it about 30-40 mins of a decent 70 on the motorway in 5th preferably, not 6th (get the engine to push soot out if you will) and it should regenerate. If its doesn't, then you have an air leak or other associated issue. The diesel engines with DOPF like a decent run once a month to keep soot levels down.

Did you ever get to the bottom of your car stuttering ? Maybe this is one in the same issue ?
Hi Colin, yes it was broken wires to the air flow meter, massive headache!
The car has had a forced regen with the snap on OBD II, that was about 5 months ago. Is there an actual filter that can be cleaned or replaced?
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 20:47   #4
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Good to hear you sorted the hesitation, even if it was a pain !

The DPF is a filter you don't want to have to replace. They are circa £1000. Its a large part of the exhaust thats is designed to stop harmful deposits going into the atmosphere, hence it captures the soot, and burns it off.

You need to look at why its getting full.

Are your journeys mostly small local journeys, where your car isn't getting hot enough to cause the car to regain, or long enough for it to take place ?

I would suggest you need to give the car a blast once a month for a good 45 mins on a motorway, rather than a forced regen anyway.

For now, a decent run as suggested will get rid of the soot build up, so long as you don't have any other issues such as an intake air leak or on the intercooler.

Any other noises or symptoms on the car ?
The Following User Says Thank You to colinbos For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 09:23   #5
Mikesmith181

So my car has lost all power now, and the engine system service light has come up in the info display, no engine management light tho, I'll try to post the fault codes at some point today. Car won't go over 80, but it's got no pull at all, almost as if it's not got a turbo I guess, and sounds like it has a bit of a misfire, just sounds weird for a 5 cylinder.
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 10:42   #6
skippyfox
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesmith181 View Post
So my car has lost all power now, and the engine system service light has come up in the info display, no engine management light tho, I'll try to post the fault codes at some point today. Car won't go over 80, but it's got no pull at all, almost as if it's not got a turbo I guess, and sounds like it has a bit of a misfire, just sounds weird for a 5 cylinder.
sounds like the car has gone into limp mode. I had very similar symptoms with my xc90 not very long after picking up from the dealer. Turns out the previous owner did about 15 miles a day on the yummy mummy school run. Ended up having a forced re gen and a sensor on the exhaust system replaced, luckily under warranty. Hope you get sorted, happy motoring.
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 11:25   #7
tt82
Forum Support Team

Did you resolve the Soot Filter Full message? What are your answers to Colin's questions?

It's could be different things, but I'll guess either your DPF is full after not regenerating properly or there is a faulty DPF pressure sensor.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 15:55   #8
Mikesmith181

These are the fault codes guys, I reset them and they came straight back on, and wouldn't reset again, drove the car on a local by pass and no power and restricted to 80 :-/
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 19:29   #9
Whippy
Premier Member

Hi, probably best to get a forced regen done first then check that the sensors up and downstream of the DPF are within operating parameters. Good luck.

David.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 19:46   #10
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

As Whippy says.

You can't do a regen by driving now, as its in limp mode.

Do a forced regen as it stands, and then reset the codes.

Use Vida to test the operation of the DPF sensors (I don't know how, but I'm sure it will be logical if you look in VIDA)