Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'Driver Door Open' permanent warning

Views : 23715

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2009, 20:11   #1
nask0

Exclamation 'Driver Door Open' permanent warning

The 'driver door open' message is on all the time, and believe me I know how to close a door. Very irritating and not only. The interior lights won't go off because the car thinks that the door is still open, they eventually go off after a while, but they recently drained my battery (new battery it is) I guess because I don't drive my car a lot lately (I live 5 min from work) so the battery doesn't have the time to recharge. Is that an easy fix or do I need to replace the door latch, or a sensor, or a fuse??? If I have to replace the latch after all, do I have to remove the door panel as well or is it a straight forward job?
nask0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 08:53   #2
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

This may help:

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/doorremove.php

You may also find you can get things working again by squirting some release fluid deep into the latch mechanism and working the door catch back and forth while the external door handle is held in the open postion.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 10:16   #3
nask0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
This may help:

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/doorremove.php

You may also find you can get things working again by squirting some release fluid deep into the latch mechanism and working the door catch back and forth while the external door handle is held in the open postion.
Will GT85 lubricant be good enough? I bought it from Halfords to lubricate the chain of my bycicle.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 11:13   #4
nask0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nask0 View Post
Will GT85 lubricant be good enough? I bought it from Halfords to lubricate the chain of my bycicle.
Just tried with the lubricant. It didn't work unfortunately. Is there any sensor that I can replace instead of replacing the whole latch?
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 15:38   #5
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

There is a micro switch built into the door lock.
I think some people have replaced the switch itself using 'standard' micro swiches from places like Maplin or Radio Spares.
However this is not easy and the parts can't be obtained form a Volvo dealer, so you will either have to search the web for parts details or take your existing one apart to identify the correct part.

I'd try the fluid again, some patience is required to hit the right spot.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 18:47   #6
nask0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
There is a micro switch built into the door lock.
I think some people have replaced the switch itself using 'standard' micro swiches from places like Maplin or Radio Spares.
However this is not easy and the parts can't be obtained form a Volvo dealer, so you will either have to search the web for parts details or take your existing one apart to identify the correct part.

I'd try the fluid again, some patience is required to hit the right spot.
I'll probably go for the latch. I just checked on Ebay and East Coast Auto Salvage are selling a latch for '02 S60. Will it be compatible with my 54 S60?
Does the switch come as part of the latch? Thanx
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 01:21   #7
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I had the same problem with the passenger door on my V70 & traced it to the microswitch that is built into the central locking unit. It's a pig to get the unit apart & not something I would recommend. I gave up in the end & I'm normally pretty good as fixing most things.

The main dealers wanted about £140 for a new one, so in the end I tracked down a brand new one via ebay for about £30. Be wary of buying one from a scrap yard as it is likely to be just as worn as your current one. If you want a free, quick-fix solution, you can short out the microswitch by connecting two wires together in the loom above the speaker. The downside is that the courtesy light won't work & that will affect the alarm too.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 09:47   #8
nask0

I want to go for the latch as well. Unfortunately as you said dealers sell it for over £140, money I don't want to spend on this since I recently did the Volvo Service and spent over £400. The used '02 S60 latch is the only one I could find on Ebay, if you have any suggestions where to find a new one at a good price please let me know, it will be highly appreciated. I have noticed three consequencies of this microswitch failure: 1.The red triangle warning is flashing all the time (irritating but in no way affecting the car performance); 2.The interior lights stay on at dark (car still thinks that the door is open even after lock; I used to turn off the roof lights manually, but the two above the legs on each side could not be turned off manually so they eventually drained my battery after a while since I drive only short distances lately; I disconnected those as a temporary solution so currently nothing stays ON to drain the battery); 3.The emergency lights do not flash ONCE when locking the car (they still flash twice when I unlock it; the car does not unlock itself so this is not an issue either). Please let me know if there are any safety issues that I am missing. And pleeeaaaasssseee, any ideas where to find a cheap latch? Any other Volovo models(maybe a list) that are interchangeable with mine??? Maybe I can look under another model???
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 00:22   #9
Simon Jones
Premier Member

As far as I know S60 & V70 units are interchangable, but mine is the 2002 version which is a bit earlier than yours. If you get some form of warranty from the breakers yard, then at least you have time to fit it & check it works for a few weeks.

I was lucky in that 2 came along on ebay with a few weeks, the first was used & then a new one came along & I got it for a bit less. Try calling round a few of the breakers who advertise on ebay - you should be able to get one for a fair price.

When mine failed, the alarm / central locking would automatically unset, so it mean't it would randomly unlock while parked! As a temp fix, I downloaded the wiring diagram & worked out which 2 wires from the unit were the switch & then shorted them together with a Scotchlok on the loom inside the door trim. This did the trick until I fitted the replacement unit.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 01:14   #10
24AB2

first : don't know what 54 S60 means
but I quess its either may 2004 or 2005 april

part nrs. for 2002 and 2004 are the same
only when you have "deadlock" locks the numbers are different
Attached Images
File Type: jpg locks 2 (Medium).jpg (72.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg lock 4 (Medium).jpg (72.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg dl (Medium).jpg (71.7 KB, 21 views)
24AB2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, message, open, sensor, warning