Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine problem - Volvo V50 - Any idea?

Views : 792

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2020, 21:54   #1
shaft

Default Engine problem - Volvo V50 - Any idea?

Hey guys,

two weeks ago, when I was on the road, I want to accelerate (by stepping on the gas pedal), when I was driving and the car started to twitch. I switch to idle and drove to the parking lot. I turned off the engine and then it was impossible to start. More on video. Anyone have an idea what this could be?

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/5jbIlan8g48[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/k6sCEoZrHlY[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/hL5OfwyprAg[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks everyone
shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 19:50   #2
rich_f

My car has the same problem - I haven't been using it much recently because I've been working from home. I wonder if that is the reason...

Anyway, I noticed the same as you - when driving it would feel like it stutters but then carries on as normal.
Then one day last week a tried to start it and it just wouldn't fire. I noticed I huge air lock in the clear fuel line from the filter housing but when I attach a vacuum pump onto the fuel return hose, it sucks fuel out of the high-pressure pump and out of the clear line from the filter housing, but no more fuel comes from the filter housing - the air bubble just gets bigger. Weirder still there is a loud whining noise after I stop cranking that slowly raises in pitch and only stops when I cut the ignition. I hear a similar noise in your video but the pitch remains constant.
I have attached the vacuum pump directly to the filter housing and it does draw fuel out so I don't understand.

Have you checked your fuel lines for air gaps?
Old Nov 16th, 2020, 11:11   #3
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

A year and engine would be useful

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 12:46   #4
shaft

Default Egr

Thanks for reply, problem was a bad EGR. Solved.
shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 12:37   #5
rich_f

Can I ask how it was diagnosed? Like I said mine started to do the same thing before it failed to start - I managed to get the air out of the fuel line but it's still not starting.
Is there something I can try that will tell me quickly if it is a bad egr valve without simply replacing it? Hence the question - how was it diagnosed?

Tags
engine 2.0, volvo v50