Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 1.6D No power

Views : 4754

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2020, 23:18   #1
arron9999

Default C30 1.6D No power

Hi all,

I have been searching google for help and have seen a few posts but nothing that I can 100% relate too. I have a 2008 1.6D C30. I have been having a few issues lately all related to performance. I was getting anti Skid warning & emmisions and was able to trace this down to a EGR fault. Have replaced with a 2nd hand unit and that problem has gone, i now have a issue where it feels like there is no turbo. It crawls to 70 and any sort of incline starts to slow down.

I have read the vehicle with Vida and have come up with 3 fault codes:

ECM-136F Mass air flow sensor - Signal too high
ECM-1507 Turbo Control - Too low pressure
ECM-2A40 Particulate trap - Signal too high

I have done some investigation on these:

MAF - at idle vida shows 23-24KG/h but reccomends 25-30. I have confirmed that it changes with acceleration, so checked the wires at the Maf disconnected these are 5-0-14-5 but once connected to the maf the 5-0-14-2.5 all with engine running. have cleaned the maf with carb spray and removed the air filter for test purpose but no change. also havent seen any split intake pipes.

Turbo control - only limited work done due to poor weather but loooked over vac lines best i could and can not see any broken/unplugged.

DPF - Checked pressure in Vida at idle and shows 19 not sure if this is high but guessing from the code it is. Checked ADM module and shows 15/15 i did fill this about 6 months ago but only a little went in so assumed it was already full so can not be 100% that this is accurate but did follow Vida instructions. Didnt want to run a forced regen yet as read it is limited to how many can be done and wanted to fix other issues first that could be causing this.

I have cleared the codes and straight away gone for a drive and i had boost (bum meter) but as soon as i got to 30 in 2nd it went slow again.

Any help or advice much appreciated.
Thanks
Arron
arron9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 20:35   #2
arron9999

Correction - ECM-136F Mass air flow sensor - Signal too low*
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 12:52   #3
arron9999

quick update, i have taken the car for a long drive with Vida plugged in. I have taken the maf to bits again and clean it a 2nd time and check the connections. It still reads low in vida but is not throwing any faults.
For the DPF i unplugged the pressure sensor connector and replugged back in and that seems to be working fine now???

ECM-1507 Turbo Control - Too low pressure -- this code is still causing me problems,im not able to fine any boost leaks/vac leaks. Do these control valves fail and is there any way to test them?
Old Feb 22nd, 2021, 23:13   #4
juanarriolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by arron9999 View Post
Hi all,

I have been searching google for help and have seen a few posts but nothing that I can 100% relate too. I have a 2008 1.6D C30. I have been having a few issues lately all related to performance. I was getting anti Skid warning & emmisions and was able to trace this down to a EGR fault. Have replaced with a 2nd hand unit and that problem has gone, i now have a issue where it feels like there is no turbo. It crawls to 70 and any sort of incline starts to slow down.

I have read the vehicle with Vida and have come up with 3 fault codes:

ECM-136F Mass air flow sensor - Signal too high
ECM-1507 Turbo Control - Too low pressure
ECM-2A40 Particulate trap - Signal too high

I have done some investigation on these:

MAF - at idle vida shows 23-24KG/h but reccomends 25-30. I have confirmed that it changes with acceleration, so checked the wires at the Maf disconnected these are 5-0-14-5 but once connected to the maf the 5-0-14-2.5 all with engine running. have cleaned the maf with carb spray and removed the air filter for test purpose but no change. also havent seen any split intake pipes.

Turbo control - only limited work done due to poor weather but loooked over vac lines best i could and can not see any broken/unplugged.

DPF - Checked pressure in Vida at idle and shows 19 not sure if this is high but guessing from the code it is. Checked ADM module and shows 15/15 i did fill this about 6 months ago but only a little went in so assumed it was already full so can not be 100% that this is accurate but did follow Vida instructions. Didnt want to run a forced regen yet as read it is limited to how many can be done and wanted to fix other issues first that could be causing this.

I have cleared the codes and straight away gone for a drive and i had boost (bum meter) but as soon as i got to 30 in 2nd it went slow again.

Any help or advice much appreciated.
Thanks
Arron
Hi there!

I am having similar issues since one crappy workshop overfilled with oil my c30 1.6d from 2008. The car also had its DPF blocked but I don't think this is related with the actual problem. Dpf was cleaned and new additif fluid (eolys) was filled in the car. The car went into limp mode because of that. But now, those errors are gone and it is fine now on that side. No more limp mode. The problem is:

Car has no proper power or boost.

The codes are:
136F Maf sensor signal too low
1507 Turbo pressure- actuator signal too low

The car drives apparently well till 2500 rpms where it should build up even more boost but it rests like a NA engine.

When connected with the scan tool, I can see how the MAF sensor "disconnects" from the ecu and the car starts using the default values for mass air intake when I give it a hard acceleration, even in neutral, car parked.

If I erase the error messages, I can feel the boost again, until I go higher in the rpms and then I let go the throttle. For some reason, MAF values are not good enough and it stays double than it should be when down to idle (200mg/H normally, 400mg/H when the problem arrives and the ecu puts its values)

I really think it is something related with the turbo cause I can hear some air going out when flooring it. The waste gate apparently works at idle and without load, the car still revving up. When running the car (load) I can't see it acting, may be I'll stick in the GoPro...

It could also be something with air intake that causes the turbo waste gate to open and prevent major failure, but the thing is only those two codes appear.

So far these have been my actions:
New MAF
New EGR valve
Check air leaks between Maf and intake butterfly/accelerator gate.
Check hoses from turbo to solenoid at the back of the engine (I will take it out and change kt to see if this electronic piece is working bad at higher rpms when load is applied)
New camshaft cover, the one with the oil cup and the pcv valve.

I am really struggling to guess what it is, I am 99.99% sure it is an electronic problem. But I can't find it.

Hope you guys had something similar in your experience/knowledge!

Thanks and Cheers

Last edited by juanarriolas; Feb 22nd, 2021 at 23:24.
juanarriolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 07:47   #5
David737

After changing my DPF I too am now getting these codes:
ECM-136F
ECM-1507
No power and a hissing sound from engine bay when trying accelerate. Did you resolve the issue jaunarriolas?
Anyone else have any ideas please
David737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 10:00   #6
iainmd

Hissing sound from the engine bay quite possibly a split intercooler hose. Look for a spatter of black oily residue near one of the intercooler hoses.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 16:01   #7
cancunia

My C30 had similar problems, it had no power above about 1700 rpm. It ran fine in town up to 30mph but on faster roads it struggled past 40 but would slowly get to 70 and cruise at that speed.

I found 2 problems after a lot of messing around:

1, The MAF was faulty
2, The turbo VNT nozzle ring was seized

Replaced both & things are a lot better.
cancunia is offline   Reply With Quote