Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SC-805 Hack For iPod/ iPhone

Views : 15606

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 17th, 2012, 14:26   #1
960kg
Premier Member

Default SC-805 Hack For iPod/ iPhone

I have just done this hack but only applies to the SC-805 as the other models have the main amp the pickup elswhere, do not go to the tape preamp inside.

There are numerous threads about the different models but i will not comment on there contents.

When the unit is out the car and indoors take off the bottom plate held on by the 4 screws and you will see what looks the same as the pictures. If yours looks different then don`t attempt it as you will not succeed and my cause damage.

There is only room for the soldered wires underneath the plate when put back so the capacitors have to be outside the unit.

I have been repairing reel to reel tape recorders for some time now and also my colleague repairs old wireless sets and we are used to using all types of wireless components. The black type of Capacitors "Electrolytics" must not be used as if for any reason the alternator circuit malfunctions (surges) it may charge up these capacitors and when they let go there charge will take the ipod or £400 iphone with it and probably damage it beyond repair.

The type to use are these orange suitcase type called Polyester Capacitors and a good allround value you need is 2uf (microfarads) or the nearest i could get was 2.2uf @ 250volts (Maplins) or you can get 100volts it does not matter, the "uf" is the important bit as this controls the frequency let through the capacitor or what frequency it will absorb and 2uf will keep the frequencies correct as they are from the ipod/iphone, you can still use the equaliser settings in your device and they will sound as normally played through the device. They can be soldered in either way around and do not have a positive or negative.

The earths from the wires i soldered together to the aerial socket at the back of the 805 unit but you can also put the earths under a screw if you wish.

I also put a wire from the back of the player in the dash under the centre console and up into the console cubby hole with the lid on and my iphone is in there with a long enough lead to take it out to select what to play, you can sort yourself out where to place extra wires etc. for to connect to.

When all is back in place to try out you will need a blank tape cassette with the tape taken out, but leave in the reels, so you need the type with screws to remove etc.

With the unit turned on and it`s code put in the radio comes on press in the empty cassette and press the tape play button then turn on the ipod/iphone and select what you want. The auto reverse function still operates but so what!!

Because the connections within the 805 unit are on the volume main amp side and not the pre-amp side the quality is superb and the volume is as normal.

Best to check it all works before final fixing etc. as the wires are very small and fragile they are easy snapped and you don`t notice because they are small and you may just get one channel, this happened to me as i was a bit rough on assembly!!

Happy Listening
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6822.JPG (275.3 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Polyester Caps.JPG (46.4 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg Channels.jpg (388.5 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Soldered Wires.JPG (373.7 KB, 133 views)

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Last edited by 960kg; Apr 17th, 2012 at 14:54.
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 14:49   #2
gatos
Premier Member

Nice one Keith. Only if you could now find a hack for the HU-605. I can even send you one you can experiment with if you want......

PS. Title reads SC-850 instead of SC-805

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 14:56   #3
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Nice one Keith. Only if you could now find a hack for the HU-605. I can even send you one you can experiment with if you want......

PS. Title reads SC-850 instead of SC-805
Thanks for that gatos, i have changed it for you

Old Apr 17th, 2012, 15:25   #4
inchley313
Insane!!

forgive me for being ignorant but you said "do not go to the tape preamp inside", can I ask why? is it something to do with charging the ipod?

The reason I ask is I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone and have been using one of the old cassette tapes with a jack plug on the end to listen to my tunes on the phone and also it works great as a hands free kit and cuts the tunes out when using sat nav etc.!!

Ideally I would like to do away with the tape itself and hardwire a jack plug into the set, I cannot charge the phone from the headphone socket so wondered if there was another way of doing this?

Cheers

Ian

'01 V40 2.0 Ph2 141,000mi (lower than the last one)
'98 Honda CR-V 2.0 Auto (as this is the car I'm teaching SWMBO to drive in)
Previous:
'97 V40 2.0CD with 173,000mi on the clock and now sold!!
inchley313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 16:19   #5
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchley313 View Post
forgive me for being ignorant but you said "do not go to the tape preamp inside", can I ask why? is it something to do with charging the ipod?

The reason I ask is I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone and have been using one of the old cassette tapes with a jack plug on the end to listen to my tunes on the phone and also it works great as a hands free kit and cuts the tunes out when using sat nav etc.!!

Ideally I would like to do away with the tape itself and hardwire a jack plug into the set, I cannot charge the phone from the headphone socket so wondered if there was another way of doing this?

Cheers

Ian
I used to have one of those cassette thingys and very good as well but i never bothered to actually look inside it to see how it worked, but if you take your wires directly off the tape unit pcb inside the unit by the adjustable potentiometers the ipod will sound like a wasp in a bottle and very distorted. I went there first to see what would happen! these units are very complicated and the circuits intermingle. If the tape unit is removed the CD part will not function. This 805 is an Alpine manufactured unit and does have superb sound.

I have this unit in my V70 and the extension wires come back to the centre console cubby hole unit with the armrest on and on the other side of it is the rear cigar lighter so i just use my small charger which plugs in and the wire comes in under the armrest and plugs in to charge the iphone.

I can now have 30GB of music.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6834.JPG (282.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6833.JPG (339.3 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6830.JPG (250.0 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6839.JPG (314.5 KB, 74 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 16:42   #6
inchley313
Insane!!

Thanks for your reply, looking at the pictures it looks far too complicated for me to be getting involved with!!

As I don't use the tape player for anything else, I think I will carry on for the time being with the tape but will attempt to hide the wire behind the dash. I also need to fit a cigar lighter twin socket so I can run the kids headrest tv's as well as charge my phone so will try and hide all the wiring in the centre console and behind the dash all at the same time to get rid of the annoying wires that tangle up every where!!

I'm a veteran dashboard master these days after replacing the heater matrix so hiding a few wires shouldn't be hard!!

'01 V40 2.0 Ph2 141,000mi (lower than the last one)
'98 Honda CR-V 2.0 Auto (as this is the car I'm teaching SWMBO to drive in)
Previous:
'97 V40 2.0CD with 173,000mi on the clock and now sold!!
inchley313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 16:49   #7
leowyatt

Quote:
Only if you could now find a hack for the HU-605
Seems someone already has
leowyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to leowyatt For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 17:04   #8
gatos
Premier Member

what about the hu-1205? lol

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 17:24   #9
Dazza007
Dazza007

Sounds like a sledge hammer to crack a nut. Cant you just use airplay and send it via a FM radio station. Thats how i listen using my Nokia N8. The phone fits snugly into the pocket above radio for perfect reception.
Dazza007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 18:25   #10
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leowyatt View Post
Seems someone already has
It is up to the individual what capacitors to use but before you attempt this read my thread properly otherwise you do really leave your device open to destruction, not saying it will but it can!!

Quote:
what about the hu-1205? lol
There are so many models gatos that you have to more or less own each one to find out where the contacts are as the pcb boards differ so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza007 View Post
Sounds like a sledge hammer to crack a nut. Cant you just use airplay and send it via a FM radio station. Thats how i listen using my Nokia N8. The phone fits snugly into the pocket above radio for perfect reception.
If you haven`t tried the hack you cannot really comment or appreciate the quality of sound especially from an mp3 file!

I have one of those TuneBase thingys and that is what made me connect the wires direct to the unit. I would use my sledge hammer in a more worthy way and on the actual FM TuneBase Unit. The sound is not really good via FM because of background noise as well as your driving along other stations can cut in on your channel band which is annoying, i suppose each to there own, but i did put this How To up only for those interested in actually doing it. I do prefer things to be spot-on otherwise they are not worth doing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6841.jpg (296.4 KB, 32 views)