Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Softening the suspension

Views : 3082

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2013, 17:36   #1
Derek Oliver

Angry Softening the suspension

We purchased an 07 2L diesel a few weeks ago my wife being the main user and she is delighted with it.

However being a long way past my sell by date with significant arthritis in the base of my spine I find the ride decidedly uncomfortable, particularly on the well potholed minor roads of rural Lincolnshire. Every small dip in the road gives me an unpleasant jolt.

The ride of the car I usually drive - a tatty 14 year old Pug 306 estate - by comparison is very comfortable along with nice handling. I would like to try and soften the jittery ride of the Volvo even if this takes the edge off the handling characteristics. At our age we don't tear about much !!

I suspect that much of this comes from the use of low profile tyres - 205/50 17 which will have little give in the sidewalls. There is plenty of clearance between wheel and brake calliper to change to 16 inch rims with a higher tyre profile to get roughly the same rolling radius. Not yet being very knowledgeable about the Volvo range can anyone suggest a 16 wheel that will fit. Or are the 5 stud PCD and offset the same as another make (Ford?)

Next will be to investigate adjustable dampers for the rear, but I would like to try the wheels & tyres first as 2 are due replacement soon anyway.

New to Volvo - 07 C30 2.0 L D
1972 MGB GT big boy's toy

Last edited by Derek Oliver; May 6th, 2013 at 17:38.
Derek Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 17:51   #2
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Oliver View Post
We purchased an 07 2L diesel a few weeks ago my wife being the main user and she is delighted with it.

However being a long way past my sell by date with significant arthritis in the base of my spine I find the ride decidedly uncomfortable, particularly on the well potholed minor roads of rural Lincolnshire. Every small dip in the road gives me an unpleasant jolt.

The ride of the car I usually drive - a tatty 14 year old Pug 306 estate - by comparison is very comfortable along with nice handling. I would like to try and soften the jittery ride of the Volvo even if this takes the edge off the handling characteristics. At our age we don't tear about much !!

I suspect that much of this comes from the use of low profile tyres - 205/50 17 which will have little give in the sidewalls. There is plenty of clearance between wheel and brake calliper to change to 16 inch rims with a higher tyre profile to get roughly the same rolling radius. Not yet being very knowledgeable about the Volvo range can anyone suggest a 16 wheel that will fit. Or are the 5 stud PCD and offset the same as another make (Ford?)

Next will be to investigate adjustable dampers for the rear, but I would like to try the wheels & tyres first as 2 are due replacement soon anyway.
The 5x108 pattern is a standard and the same as the Focus and all other Volvos (except some with 4). Even some Renault, Peugeot and Citroens have it...

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2013, 18:55   #3
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

My girlfriend had the exact same problem when she got he c30 r design on 17's she found the ride too hard especially on glasgow roads, we swapped to some 16 inch s40 wheels and she finds the ride much better although i find it a little to soft and preferred the ride on 17's
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 19:52   #4
GusGecko
from C30 to XC60

Aah jeez I won't take you for a ride in mine lowered and on 18's!!

GusGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 07:14   #5
MacV50
Master Member

Ran 16"s with winter tyres this year and they don't make much difference to ride quality. Was expecting harshness when I put the 17"s back on but really couldn't tell.

Think you'll need to investigate changing the suspension for softer units but they'll need to be well controlled otherwise the handling could turn bad
MacV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 15:23   #6
slingading

My V50 runs on 18" low profiles, and the ride was really harsh, too much so for my liking. It had a service, MOT and 2 x new rear tyres fitted last week and the ride is so much better now. The tyres that were replaced were probably what the car came from the factory with, Dunlop SP's I think, and I've now got Barum's on there, such a nicer drive now.
Old May 7th, 2013, 16:17   #7
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGecko View Post
Aah jeez I won't take you for a ride in mine lowered and on 18's!!
What should I say? Lowered, 19"s and very low profile tyres! Lower than th 18"s have!

But I like my comfortable ride on 19"s...

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 23:23   #8
niva441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
What should I say? Lowered, 19"s and very low profile tyres! Lower than th 18"s have!

But I like my comfortable ride on 19"s...

The quality of German roads probably help to make it a bit less of an issue than in the UK.

I was disappointed when I ordered the C30 that the 16" wheel option was no longer available. However as the 17" fitment was only a change from 55 to 50 I thought I'd give a try. However they only lasted a week as, in addition to all the ride issues they created, they also significantly increased fuel consumption. On the 17" wheels the car struggled to achieve 40 mpg, in conditions when I would have got approx 45 mpg from my similar spec (except 16" wheel) V50. Changing to 16" winter tyres the following week improved fuel consumption to 43 mpg, despite the normal impact of the drop in temperature on economy.

It's now running 16" summer tyres and is the refined, efficient vehicle it should have been all along. Given my C30 experience and the road noise that my V50 suffers with it's original spec tyres I'm come to the conclusion that Volvo either haven't got much idea about speccing tyres, or they operate to very distorted parameters.
niva441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 06:53   #9
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Oliver View Post

5x108

ET 52.5

Hub 63.4

dampers... best bet might be bilstein B4's as they will improve the damping quality significantly.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 07:00   #10
niva441

I replaced my 17" Spiders with 16" Clavas from the Volvo dealers. The main attraction, apart from their simple design, was that they were £75 cheaper than the other designs.
niva441 is offline   Reply With Quote