Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 Aftermarket Head Unit - What Options Are There?

Views : 19847

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2019, 22:12   #1
Jerry1975

Cool C30 Aftermarket Head Unit - What Options Are There?

Hi there,

The OE stereo on my 07 C30 2.0d S is terrible and I'm looking at getting a replacement head unit for it.

I've seen on here that a common unit is the Bluepower BLP-990 which people have had varied results with, but I'm intrigued by the numerous other head units on eBay for a much lower cost.

I'm sure some of them aren't great (though I'm sure they will be an improvement over the standard crappy thing) but my main query is if any of them will actually fit in the standard dash seeing as it isn't completely rectangular in shape (i.e. slightly narrower at the bottom).

The usual eBay fitment thing says that none of the models on there fit the Volvo S40 or C30 when you select specific model but it says they do fit either the S40 or C30 in general.

Has anyone bought one of these and can they be made to fit without having to chop lumps out of the standard fascia?

Here's a couple of examples..

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F173403635237

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123345241772

Any ideas??

J
Jerry1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 22:18   #2
Slackey
It's just a name!

Other than the Bluepower Unit I think you will find your options to replace are nil. The Volvo uses a very complicated system that uses, to the best of my knowledge, fibre optics. Basically you are stuck with what you have or go for the Bluepower....not a lot else I’m afraid

Previous: 2010 C70 2.0 SE Lux, 2004 V40 2.0 Sport Classic

Founder member of the X40 In Dash Cup Holder Owners Club 😋
Slackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 22:46   #3
Jerry1975

Question

Thanks for the reply.

In what way does it use fibre optics though?

The unit in my car is the poverty spec version and doesn't appear to be sophisticated (it certainly doesn't sound it )

Would a completely new aftermarket unit with it's own amp and wiring loom not do the job?

J
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 23:28   #4
Paddy94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1975 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

In what way does it use fibre optics though?

The unit in my car is the poverty spec version and doesn't appear to be sophisticated (it certainly doesn't sound it )

Would a completely new aftermarket unit with it's own amp and wiring loom not do the job?

J
You'll find it's almost impossible to wire up another stereo system due to how the climate controls and stock radio are one integrated system.
Paddy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 01:20   #5
Sysyphus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy94 View Post
You'll find it's almost impossible to wire up another stereo system due to how the climate controls and stock radio are one integrated system.
This...

and as if that wasn't enough, there really is physically no room for an industry standard unit in the waterfall without significant surgery... the waterfall is secured to the dash via two screws just behind the display... a regular unit would go too deep in... you'd have to cut the waterfall and find a different way to secure it at the top to prevent vibration... and then you have the problem of what to do about the climate and menu displays.

the Bluepower gets around this by mounting the display in the waterfall and the actual unit in the glovebox, and uses a ribbon cable to overlay the climate/menu display from the oem display on to their screen...

At the end of the day what you get with the BLP-990A is one of those cheap and cheerful Android units split into two along with a ribbon cable and an expensive wiring loom

Last edited by Sysyphus; Feb 5th, 2019 at 01:30.
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sysyphus For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 13:36   #6
Jerry1975

Cool

Hmm... plenty to think about then

Think I'll just upgrade the speakers for the time being and see how much that improves things, and then maybe try and find a Bluepower unit somewhere.

As ever, thanks for the feedback guys - very helpful!

J
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 16:43   #7
BigBlueFish
2012 C30 Drive

Default I know it’s a bit pricey

... but I was thinking along the same lines and saw this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-beD-_FTb0
BigBlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 07:45   #8
kodja

I am developing a center airvent replacement to install a single din with screen. Pictures on www.volvorsport.com 😊
kodja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kodja For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 10:14   #9
domhart10
Volvo S40

Not many options off the shelf with these cars unless you are prepaired to to payout the cost for the bluepower unit which have very mixed reviews.

I routed my USB & AUX under the centre cover to a tablet on the dash (I keep my phone connected with the bluetooth)

Its not the cleanest fix but its mega simple and easy to use. I used magnet mounts on the dash which allow me to drop and remove the tablet real easyily.

The tablet I picked up for £20 second hand, just a small samsung one with the option to tether to my phone if needed but also hold offline music.

When tethering I get the combined use of both Google and Alexa making it hands free for navigation and for my music. I used to have a bluetooth / Aux adapter but found it real frustrating to have to constatly connect the tablet to the bluetooth, so just running it straight into an aux cable is simple.

Here is what it looks like in the link below if that helps, I have moved it up a bit more to see the screen for other controls as well. I just have one magnetic mount with a big plate on the tablet to hold it, along with 2 pads at the bottom to stop any vibration noises.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...271945&page=19

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 17:45   #10
Spookym
Spooky

Default Head unit

Hi
I have given up on a head unit as there’s not much out there
Tried Bluepower but found it not good enough
But I have found thishttps://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=129253&stc=1&d=1594741 451
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 49588F77-619F-47A0-90A7-8D43774D0253.jpeg (29.1 KB, 154 views)
Spookym is offline   Reply With Quote