Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2008 V50 D5 swirl flap actuator

Views : 620

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2020, 13:24   #1
Rob740

Default 2008 V50 D5 swirl flap actuator

Hello,

I have a v50 with the d5 engine. A while back I had it at w garage getting a new key and while sorting it they said there were fault codes for the swirl flaps. At this point I had no warnings or loss of performance.

A month or so ago I got the engine management light on and the car was real slow. The slowness comes and goes but the EML remained. I bought a VIDA/DICE set up and cleared the errors but they came back again. The codes did indeed point to the swirl flap actuator so I bought a second hand unit and fitted it and erased the codes again but the light had come back on after a couple of times starting the car. When disconnected, the linkage all seems to move freely as far as I can tell. Will I need to program the new unit in? Or am I going to be replacing the swirl flaps themselves?

Cheers

Previous Volvos:
1992 240 estate B230F
1989 740 estate B200E
Rob740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2020, 22:21   #2
Rob740

Had another crack at it this evening.

Managed to get a bit further with VIDA and ran the swivel channel adaption procedure to try calibrate the new actuator. Eml went out and I took it for a spin. It went three times of switching off and restarting before the light came back on.

The codes that came back were:
ECM-1000 Atmospheric pressure sensor - Faulty signal
ECM-1600 Boost pressure sensor - Signal outside its permitted range

Occasionally it comes up with another code that I can’t remember exactly saying something along the lines of that the swirl flap actuator is jammed.

I’m guessing that either the second hand actuator I bought is faulty or I’ll have to get the inlet off and replace the swirl flaps....

Any other ideas on this would be great!

Previous Volvos:
1992 240 estate B230F
1989 740 estate B200E
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 19:04   #3
Rob740

Well as expected, EML came back on today on the 3rd time the car was started.

Think I’m going to run the swirl channel adaptation procedure again, clear the codes then detach the swirl flap linkage. I’m hoping that if the actuator is functioning normally it should leave the light off and that would be the clear indication that the swirl flaps need replaced.

Previous Volvos:
1992 240 estate B230F
1989 740 estate B200E
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 22:54   #4
Mishac30

Hi,

I have the same engine at yours in my C30 and problem with swirl flaps error message.
ECM-1890 Swirl actuator control - Jammed that is the exact fault code in Vida.
Whenever I remove the code, it comes back after a while.
The swirl arm moves freely and is not disconnected. I also thought about getting another actuator, however this code has never given me an EML light on dash.
Some time ago I had a problem with pressure sensor on the intercooler (was damaged) and that gave a message on dash together with a limp mode.

Hope that helps a bit

Thanks
Mishac30 is offline   Reply With Quote