Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 vs t5

Views : 2393

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2020, 23:58   #1
Coundz

Default D5 vs t5

Hi everyone . I currently have an 08 D5 v50 r design manual and am on the search for a v50 t5. I’m just wondering if anybody could shed some light on this topic as to whether there is a big difference in these two cars? Is there a noticeable power difference? Are the t5s noticeably more fun to drive? Etc . Or should I just stick with my D5? any knowledge would be a great help . Thanks everyone .
Coundz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 07:08   #2
Brimfull
V50 R-Design SE T5 baby!!

D5 will be cheaper to run.

T5 will sound better, well it does in my opinion as I have never been a fan of diesels.

D5 may feel quick when be pushing due to the torquey nature of a diesel but side by side on the road the T5 will pull away from a D5.

Decent t5 are rare to find. I have been looking for one for over three months.

I only do 3k miles a year so a diesel is pointless for me but if I was looking for a diesel it would be a bmw 335d.

V50 T5 R-Design SE
Brimfull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brimfull For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 08:55   #3
Welton
Premier Member

I've had my T5 for nearly 12 years.

My very first impression on the test drive was that it drove like a big diesel! that's no bad thing as it can mostly perform like a lazy torquey lump and haul you around from very low revs. Max torque is delivered at 1500 - 4800rpm and max bhp flat lines at 5000rpm - it's not an engine to 'thrash'.

I think the main differences would be that the T5 will continue pulling hard after 100mph where most dizzlers start to hit a 'wall' at that speed. In-gear acceleration for overtaking is very brisk and confidence-inspiring.

The T5 is quiet generally and clean but you will become friends with the Petrol Station staff!

My long-term daily use ownership has proven that it's very easy to live with and has no real problems to worry about.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 13:23   #4
Coundz

Thank you for your post mate . How much difference is in the pick up of acceleration in the both? I’m just trying to work out if it’s worth the switch for acceleration or if my D5 is pretty similar and not worth changing? Thanks
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 13:31   #5
V8XCV

T5 wins every time

What I loved about the T5 (apart from the great sound) was being able to leave it in gear for a whole rev range without losing out, so 2nd gear was good to almost 70mph and 3rd was good for a hundred, made overtaking very easy.

Maybe it lacks the very low down torque, but from 2000 rpm it just keeps going!

The fuel consumption was awful, at least twice what the D5 uses.

V70 T5 (1996)
V70 P2 D5 EUIII (2002)
XC90 V8 4.4 (2007)
V8XCV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V8XCV For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 13:38   #6
Coundz

Thanks for that mate . I do like them in fairness . There’s something about it being a bit classic and nippy. I think I’m going to be on the prowl for one now, although they are not easy to come by. I currently have a v50 d5 manual r design and that wasn’t easy to get . Thanks for your help lads
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 14:14   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coundz View Post
Thank you for your post mate . How much difference is in the pick up of acceleration in the both? I’m just trying to work out if it’s worth the switch for acceleration or if my D5 is pretty similar and not worth changing? Thanks
I think you will be happy sticking with the D5 , its not as if you will be pressing on trying to beat someone else at well over over 100 mph is it ...
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 14:18   #8
Markos01

Noise is a big factor, although a different exhaust is needed to really hear the T5 noise.

Not driven a D5 but not sure if there's a huge amount of difference in terms of driving feel or acceleration... not totally sure you might think the change was worth it?

I've never been into diesels and never done the mileage to warrant one – plus I live in London – so I would never look at diesels. Also back in 2007/8 when I had my 1999 3.0 V6 Alfa GTV I developed a hole in the mid-pipe section and WOW the penny dropped in terms of the noise available from a good engine with an exhaust swap. Since then I've been into the noise a car makes just as much as the performance, in fact I went for the Volvo C30 T5 over other options purely to enjoy that 5 cylinder noise.

As for actually finding a nice V50 T5... if you're fussy you will be waiting for ever as really nice ones come up like once a year.
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 14:19   #9
Coundz

That’s very true , not going near that speed . For acceleration purposes only.
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 14:20   #10
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

The T5's the nicer drive. It's ridiculously inefficient, even if you try to drive with economy in mind. The D5's good for a diesel in terms of is character, and reasonably economical, and does respond to efforts in that regard.

Both are at their best just cruisin'

If you have a good D5, keep it.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post: