Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starter motor won’t disengage and keeps turning

Views : 1644

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 19:42   #11
P1800 ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRA View Post
A couple of thoughts for what they are worth:

There's a thick (braided?) copper cable that goes from the solenoid to the field-coil of the starter motor. If that were in accidental contact with the trigger wire to the solenoid then once you'd triggered the solenoid the trigger wire would stay live and the starter would keep on turning.

The solenoid activates a plunger. The push end of the plunger makes the electrical contact for the starter motor. The pull end pulls a lever that pushes the pinion forward to engage. If there's too much friction in the mechanism the plunger may not slide back to the "off" position. The motor works on the bench when not under load, so maybe the extra friction of being under load is stopping the mechanism sliding back? Maybe some cleaning/lubrication around the bit of the mechanism that slides the pinion forward? Perhaps around the plunger too? The Haynes manual shows the lubrication points.

Lastly, when I fitted a later starter motor to my Amazon I initially couldn't get it to start at all. I found that the later solenoid had two similar-looking spade terminals and I'd connected my trigger wire to the wrong one. It might just be worth checking that your solenoid doesn't have an extra terminal that does strange things if connected in error.
Thanks. The braided link from starter to solenoid isn’t in contact with anything. I checked that today. All I can think is that there is extra friction when it’s engaged preventing the pinion from pinging back on its own, or there’s some kind of interference within the starter mechanism preventing it disengaging.

The new solenoid does indeed have two terminals. One is the trigger and the other becomes positive when the starter cranks. That must be for a later car that needs this functionality.

I’m hoping it’s just a problem with the starter unit and not within the bell housing as I’m ordering a replacement unit and feel hopeful that’ll fix it. I’ll be sure to update this as I go. Might be a while as it’s difficult to find time to get to the car and work on it currently.
P1800 ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 01:50   #12
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1800 ES View Post
The new solenoid does indeed have two terminals. One is the trigger and the other becomes positive when the starter cranks. That must be for a later car that needs this functionality.
On K jet and the later D jet equipped cars I think that 'extra' terminal was used to power up the cold start valve to apply extra fuel for starting.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2020, 08:17   #13
P1800 ES

Just thought I'd update this as I have now resolved the problem. I fitted a new starter motor unit yesterday and it works fine. Went for a borg and beck unit with m12/100mm/1.75 pitch bolts.

Spins up and performs fantastic. I also started and drove the car for the first time in 26 years. I'll post an update of that on the thread I have for the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to P1800 ES For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2020, 22:48   #14
142 Guy
Master Member

Good that it is fixed. By any chance did you ever figure out what the problem was with the original starter?
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 00:10   #15
thx569

Two things come to mind. The starter draws watts of power. Amps X volts = watts (power). Low voltage means higher amps to get the wanted wattage.

Low battery will cause excess amps to flow causing the plunger contact disc to overheat and stick (as in weld). This or just a bad solenoid.

If you have disassembled the starter, you might have the fork in backwards causing the bendix drive to push out too far hitting the drive end housing and causing it the jam up (stick in place while spinning thus holding the contact disc in closed circuit). Or maybe you have the fork behind the bendix and not in its intended slot Or groove. There should be about 1/16 or so clearance between the bendix and the end housing when engaged.

Or it could simply be the wrong solenoid. Usually but not always, the issue is in the starter assembly.

Death is nature's way of making it harder to get up in the morning.
thx569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 10:17   #16
P1800 ES

I haven't yet investigated the fault with old starter motor. On the bench the new solenoid had a reassuring thump, so I don't think it was that. It's all still a bit of a mystery.

All i know is the new starter motor works just fine. I'll keep hold of the old starter and if I find time I'll investigate further.