Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Opinions on C70

Views : 700

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 17:05   #1
david480

Default Opinions on C70

Possibility of getting this C70 at the weekend:

https://www.adverts.ie/car/volvo/c70...to-run/6759877

I've never had a C70 before and was wondering what they are like to run daily? This one has LPG so I'm hoping decent economy. It also has a recent MOT and seems mechanically well sorted.

I was wondering if the saffron colour will make it more or less desirable as the years roll on? Does the colour really stand out in the metal as it does in pictures ? (Have never seen it up close)
david480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 18:31   #2
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Not had a C70, but on the basis that it shares most/a lot of its running gear with the V70 I'd expect it to be all right, although that one has the lpg and remap which would need to have been done properly.
Colourwise, I personally like the Saffron, don't know about the desirability in future but it was associated with the V70R which made it seem special to me.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 19:43   #3
ITSv40
VOC Member

Not sure if the car in the add is the very car you are possibly purchasing as when I open the link it shows the add has expired and listed four years ago.

Perhaps it is the same car, but an old add.

I've owned Volvos for 45 years, starting with a 145S and without doubt my C70 is the best and nicest model I have owned. Superbly put together and just has a quality feel about every aspect. The five pot growl is to die for. Whether coupe or convertible very capable cruisers and good ones are bomb proof.

The saffron colour was only produced on the '98? model - so quite rare and dates the car. Personally not my favourite choice but colour is very personal.

The car in the add has been extensively modified and not one I would be interested in - I prefer 'bog standard' factory spec. I would go for a 2.4 or T5 in standard spec, but again personal choice.

If the car appeals, go for it, C70's really are superb and very overlooked.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 21:24   #4
Dibble
VOC Member

I have a 2003, T5 convertible, 126,000 miles. Brilliant car but don't know how it would compare with the coupe. Extremely comfortable front seats (not been in the back). I am led to believe that they were almost hand built in a different factory in Sweden from Gothenburg. Performance and sound of the T5 is superb and, according to the info it managed an easy 33mpg. The car is manual.
A bit of scuttle shuttle but I have just replaced the front springs and shocks and considerable improvement.
Absolutely delightful machine.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 22:32   #5
Pete940
Ideal Volvo

I do enjoy my C70 coupe. The only point I'd raise is to frequently check over the LPG system. Considering that it has also been remapped, everything will need to be working perfectly or you'll have some expensive problems!
Pete940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 22:40   #6
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble View Post
I have a 2003, T5 convertible, 126,000 miles. Brilliant car but don't know how it would compare with the coupe. Extremely comfortable front seats (not been in the back). I am led to believe that they were almost hand built in a different factory in Sweden from Gothenburg. Performance and sound of the T5 is superb and, according to the info it managed an easy 33mpg. The car is manual.
A bit of scuttle shuttle but I have just replaced the front springs and shocks and considerable improvement.
Absolutely delightful machine.
Yes, all hand built in a dedicated purpose built factory at Uddevalla Sweden in partnership with Pinninfarina. When Ford took over Volvo they left C70 production alone, therefore the quality remained without Ford's cost cutting effects. The later Focus based Mk2 C70 was also built there.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 00:51   #7
Bashy
Aged Member

I had the T5 GT (auto) in the saffron gold colour, only thing i found was the handling a bit boaty, the Volvo OEM strut brace helped a little but i think my suspension was a bit tired. was a nippy car, my mates scooby couldnt leave me, i had to keep backing on on power, he wouldnt move over either. As for a p reg AMG 55, dont even bother entertaining lol
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 09:37   #8
happy diver
Active Member Moment

2.0L quite underpowered you'd wonder why they bothered installing gas

Don't buy cars from fiddlers, especially if they have installed K&N filters!

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile

Last edited by happy diver; Jan 4th, 2020 at 09:42.
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to happy diver For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 17:07   #9
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The 2ltr is a turbo engine and does go plently well enough.

I think they are a very underated car and not undertand why they are so unpopular.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote