Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cam Gear Nut loose and Gear Moves

Views : 1905

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2020, 15:47   #21
tdz840
VOC Member

Are you running points or electronic ignition? What setting at idle, perhaps something conservative at this stage?
Sounds to me from the little information given it’s a combination of cold start and perhaps advanced ignition.
If you have set to a conservative number (say 8Deg BTDC) look to set your carbs for idle next.
Are you running twin SUs and all the basic initial settings have been checked including syncing carbs, centralising needles, pairing dash pots, springs and damper oil. Are your ign cable good, damp can affect them and often exacerbated at low idle. If it’s dark in the garage you may be able to see arching if not. Check the primary and secondary resistance of the coil and check with specs
I’m sure I’ve missed something but all appears well and a symptom of first start, basic settings and the need for a tune up on a warm engine
Good luck
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 16:35   #22
gothamus

Default run through

It's a former B20e - fi removed and twin SU-HS6 in place. 123Ignition
She was tuned and running fine before- except the sound that started this. Adjusted carb jets for winter, gave filters a good cleaning.
Tuned to specs in manual for '74 - B20e- that's about .40-.45 instead of .50-.55 (exact not in front of me, but it's .10 less from B20b).

I had my nightly 4am wake up to lie in bed pondering. A thought sprang- what if there is something wrong with the pulley fitment? Slightly crooked for some reason. If one was not flat and parallel with others, maybe, it might result in a wobbling engine? Worth a check, no pain in it.

Checking distributor positioning and valve lashing and on from there. It may be distributor position is slightly off. Twice yesterday I started and it backfired once, which never happens. Perhaps she needs to run and get warm too.
gothamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 17:21   #23
arcturus
arcturus

Check the center contact inside the dizy cap hasn't broken . I have had two break giving similar results. rough running.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 18:09   #24
gothamus

Default Good Good

It’s all good. Did a general tune up. Oil needing topping up. Slight adjustment to valves 1,2,3 and 5 matched them exactly to the rest. Small amount of oil to dash pot and increase idle 100 rpm. Maybe I was being skittish. That’s better than the opposite. Too many experiences where I went a step backward than forward!

Much better feeling. And quiet and steady sound. Thanks again!
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 21:31   #25
Derek UK
VOC Member

If your engine is full B20E spec but with carbs it will have a D cam and 10.5:1 compression. Both D and K a bit lumpy at tick over but F.I does help with that. B20F with K cam went down to 8.7:1 and that is better with lower octane gas. The B20E really needs the best Premium you can find in NY. If the local gas gets winter additives that can lower the octane too. E gas best avoided if you can.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 03:09   #26
gothamus

Thumbs up Gas and car

I always put in BP Premium (that’s what they call the most expensive, right). No loyalty to BP. They are all over my area and the rest are independent with no benefits like no ethanol or what-not.

What you say resonates. I’ve still had some performance inconsistencies. Not what started this post. Today I went ahead and removed my SUs to give a cleaning and inspection. There was enough trash in the bowls that one of them could have been clogging. I’ll be pulling my fuel filters. With 2 filters and a 5 year old tank I wasn’t expecting what I found. This might explain some performance inconsistencies I have been tracing down.

Thanks All!

Tags
b20e, cam gear