Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 T5 Performance

Views : 3929

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2007, 19:36   #21
Engineer
Rubbing son is racing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jod t5 View Post
whats that gary?, that you cant bolt a mbc on a me7?....i would say so cos bypassing the bcs on me7 will react badly....? that s what ive always understood....
cheers
jod
Torque demand not mbc

Well it is Christmas
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 20:33   #22
Nuisance
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
Ain't they all torque based control systems and it's just that Freds and his mates cars are easily fooled or am I talking motronic 4.4 only?

Been up the pub.
Well yes they are in a roundabout sort of way.

It's just that the ME7/9 works on an electronc "torque request" system. That's the only input the driver has to the engine. Where as the Motronic 4.4 has no control over the quantity of air entering the engine, as that's the drivers input. The 4.4 HAS to respond to the drivers throttle input, it HAS to fuel to match what air the driver is dumping into the intake it has no choice. So an MBC will force it to reply to the greater quantity of air.

The ME7/9 can do what it jolly well likes, because all it gets from the driver is a voltage. (from the potentiometer on the throttle pedal) It has 100% control of all engine functions, and can adjust them regardless of what the driver is asking for. So adding an MBC will not force the ME7 to fuel the extra boost, all it will do is close the throttle till the readings from the sensors are back in specificaion. The only way you can really up the boost on an ME7 is to change the specification.

That is how I managed to drive a car (not lightly) with a wastegate jammed shut for 10,000 miles without the slightest damage to the engine.
Try that on a 4.4......

To summarize:
It is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary:
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

To summarize the summary of the summary:
People are a problem.
Nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 19:56   #23
Engineer
Rubbing son is racing....

ME7 systems do indeed control the cylinder air charge which the Motronic 4.3 / 4.4 can’t do, however they are all torque electronic engine control systems and not sort of as you put it. Hence 90% the same engine control sensors.

So to quote that the latter can’t run an MBC because it is torque on demand controlled is therefore misleading hence my posts, for sure a jammed actuator could be catastrophic for these earlier systems but normally they don’t, the spring just suffers fatigue and gets loose thus loosing air charge pressure the diaphram failing is also rare they normally only become a problem when they have been badly adjusted / modified in this condition. Which is why, you should replace them.

I know you are really impressed with your control system J and rightly so but to put down pre-ME7 engine controls because of your experiences is unfair as properly maintained and tuned they are very reliable. It never ceases to amaze me that people tune high mileage cars and expect the secondary engine components to respond without complaint

Cheers