Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parking brake temorarily unavailable

Views : 3746

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2020, 10:35   #1
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Default Parking brake temorarily unavailable

Warning on dash came on this morning, "Parking brake temorarily unavailable" I was stopped at lights when warning came on, with stop start activated selector in drive and auto hold on, car would not restart with throttle and I had to put car in park and start it with the switch.
At next set of lights same again so I had to turn off stop start and put selector in park at next stop, when I got home I checked the parking brake and it is working fine manually but auto hold is not working and the warning message is still on.
Anyone else had this happen and if so was it "temorary" or did it require service.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 11:30   #2
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Warning on dash came on this morning, "Parking brake temorarily unavailable" I was stopped at lights when warning came on, with stop start activated selector in drive and auto hold on, car would not restart with throttle and I had to put car in park and start it with the switch.
At next set of lights same again so I had to turn off stop start and put selector in park at next stop, when I got home I checked the parking brake and it is working fine manually but auto hold is not working and the warning message is still on.
Anyone else had this happen and if so was it "temorary" or did it require service.
I cannot remember seeing this as much of an issue on the forum over the year nu11eaf. If you search 'parking brake temporarily', there are a couple of posts (both of which you contributed to), but nothing on the remedy in either case I'm afraid.

I'd maybe try another journey, see if the error is still present, and if so get it booked in, or even use Volvo On Call to have it recovered.

Beware, on one post this error soon progressed to complete shutdown, including no parking brake and heavy steering, so maybe stay close to home until you know what it is.

:wq
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 13:09   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Thanks. It is now showing auto hold requires service as the message. Parking brake is working ok apart from auto hold. Looks like a visit to Stone acre to be robbed of £99 to plug it in. They say diagnostics is not covered by extended warranty.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Mar 12th, 2020 at 14:43.
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 13:18   #4
James77

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Thanks. It is now showing auto hols requires service as the message. Parking brake is working ok apart from auto hold. Looks like a visit to Stone acre to be robbed of £99 to plug it in. They say diagnostics is not covered by extended warranty.
That is absolutely theft. Ridiculous diagnosis is not covered under extended warranty even so plugging in should be £25 maximum.

I'd make that clear to them too...than pay the £99.
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 14:47   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
That is absolutely theft. Ridiculous diagnosis is not covered under extended warranty even so plugging in should be £25 maximum.

I'd make that clear to them too...than pay the £99.
That's Stoneacre for you, I will of course object strongly. But people in highway mans masks tend not to listen, since they took over my dealership customer care is the last thing they are interested in.
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 19:27   #6
MCV60
Master Member

From the FAQ’s of recent email from Volvo regarding extended warranty.

Quote:
What happens if I’m not happy with the service?
We hope you won't need to make a complaint, but if you're not happy with the service provided, you should call Volvo Warranty Administration on 0344 573 8014. Please quote your vehicle registration number to ensure your enquiry is dealt with promptly. We'll do our best to resolve your query straight away, in line with the complaints process outlined in the Policy Document. Should you not be satisfied with the initial resolution of your complaint, you will still be entitled to complain to the Motor Industry Codes Advisory and Conciliation Service or to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
May be worth giving the Volvo Warranty Administration a call. If covered by them?
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 12:56   #7
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Update:
I had the "auto hold service required" and "parking brake temporarlity unavailable" problem sorted out to with a software update, they tried to charge £99 for diagnostic check but after I complained about this excessive charge it was carried out free of charge.
I had a split power pulse pipe replaced at the same time, hoses are not covered by the extended warranty (which I knew about) but they rang Volvo UK who contributed to the cost.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 14:25   #8
MCV60
Master Member

Result.
Surely the diagnostic check is required as part of the fall finding. Therefore, a process they have to run through?
Obviously, they were trying it on. To the less informed this would have resulted in gaining revenue for the service department.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 15:04   #9
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCV60 View Post
Result.
Surely the diagnostic check is required as part of the fall finding. Therefore, a process they have to run through?
Obviously, they were trying it on. To the less informed this would have resulted in gaining revenue for the service department.
I agree, this outfit try everything they can to get money out of you, it was a great dealership before they took it over.

While I was waiting for my car to be fixed another customer was getting his car MOT done or worked on, he was getting text messages as this was being done, one of them was "your coolant strength is too low and requires changing", he told me that the same dealership had replaced his radiator less than a year ago and replaced the coolant then so he was not happy that they were trying to scam him.

I must add that the people at the dealership are really good but are obviously being told to upsell everything they can get away with by the company. Another they are now pushing is get your car sanitised for £29.99.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Mar 17th, 2020 at 15:15.
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2020, 04:30   #10
Abhi

Hi nu11eaf,

Update:
I had the "auto hold service required" and "parking brake temporarlity unavailable" problem sorted out to with a software update, they tried to charge £99 for diagnostic check but after I complained about this excessive charge it was carried out free of charge.
I had a split power pulse pipe replaced at the same time, hoses are not covered by the extended warranty (which I knew about) but they rang Volvo UK who contributed to the cost.

I am currently having the exact same issue, what was the software update they had carried out? My dealer here updated the generic software update for the vehicle and also BCM(Brake control Module) software update. The issue still persists. My dealer here is suggesting me to replace the brake assembly, which, in my opinion is a steal, as the brakes are working. I reckon its a software bug. Your input will really be helpful.
Abhi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Abhi For This Useful Post: