Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Last chance saloon

Views : 1368

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Dec 26th, 2023, 15:25   #1
7 Seat Sports Car

Unhappy Last chance saloon

Hi all,

My ME7 V70 T5 is running rich all the time and I'm looking for some advice on what else I can check as it's going to fail it's MOT on emissions and if so it's getting crushed! I'm at my wits end.

I've gone through Vida and looked at resistance and voltage figures for both O², MAF, ECT, IAT, MAP, PTC TCV and evap purge. I cannot find anything wrong or out of spec. I've had all the induction pipes and intercooler as well as intake manifold and throttle body off and checked for leaks, nothing. I've double checked all the vacuum hoses, again, fine. I've had the exhaust off and found a few pinholes in the work experience welds on the aftermarket replacement Cat which I've gummed up but that had no effect. Not taken exhaust manifold or turbo off though.

At idle I'm reading approx 14kg/hr maf, 2ms injector pulse time, 6° btdc ignition angle (hunts about a little but generally there). All temp sensors agree when stone cold. I've done the Vida thermostat test and it's good. Will climb to 105 then fans bring it down to high 80s. I'm getting 0.8-0.9V on rear O². From front O² I get a random selection of either ECM-280A faulty signal or ECM-2810 faulty signal. Both O² sensors were new 2 years ago with the new cat. I've put 2 other new ones in and codes come back instantly. If I disconnect rear O² the car doesn't always throw a code for the front sensor and drops into closed loop when short term fuel trim climbs to +25%! Long term gets as far as +15% then stops. If I disconnect all sensors except maf it stills runs rich. I have a cloned ECU and it's exactly the same with that one too.

5 new coil packs put on and plugs are 8-9k old and gaps are good. All new stuff is Bosch by the way. This includes my replacement maf and O²s. Also replaced fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump and injectors.

I've had the engine bay loom out of its conduit and checked all wiring for damage, none that I can see. No shorts to anywhere or open circuits on anything to send from the ECU box connector.

Cylinder compression seems ok, warmed up dry/wet figures are 165/195, 160/180, 150/170, 160/180, 160/180. Is cylinder 3 too low in comparison or passable because it's at least 150?

Pulling 15 to 16 inHg from intake manifold brake booster port but it takes a while to get this high, starts around 13/14. Needle fluctuates ½"Hg at slow and steady rate.

Car has 239k on it. Is it time to say goodbye? Or does anyone have any other ideas that don't involve throwing more money at it. I'm happy to spend time testing and if I find a hard fault I'll pay to fix it but won't spend on a whim.

Thanks in advance.

Drew

Last edited by 7 Seat Sports Car; Dec 26th, 2023 at 15:31.
7 Seat Sports Car is offline   Reply With Quote