Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Life with my 960 Estate

Views : 14319

Replies : 219

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 29th, 2021, 10:49   #121
kiloran

Ah, interesting, I find I get skipping at crawling speeds/full lock. Almost as if you're driving on ice. So is that purely down to alignment? From memory Luke said the spaceship bushes were in good nick (he'd checked things because there was a shimmy we ultimately put down to one of the steelies being buckled). Adharas now on and the shimmy has gone.
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 10:53   #122
griston64
Premier Member

Its a fact of most rear wheel drive cars. The rear wheels driving puts a sideways force on front wheels at a steep angle. Ie the angle is too steep for the radius they want to follow.
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 14:24   #123
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
Ah, interesting, I find I get skipping at crawling speeds/full lock. Almost as if you're driving on ice. So is that purely down to alignment? From memory Luke said the spaceship bushes were in good nick (he'd checked things because there was a shimmy we ultimately put down to one of the steelies being buckled). Adharas now on and the shimmy has gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Its a fact of most rear wheel drive cars. The rear wheels driving puts a sideways force on front wheels at a steep angle. Ie the angle is too steep for the radius they want to follow.
Like Mark says, it's a RWD characteristic, exacerbated by the tight turning circle of the 7/9xx models. Other things that can make it more obvious are wider tyres and lower suspension (altering the camber angle) and with a turning circle not much larger than the famous London Taxi and Triumph Herald, it's easy to understand why!

Other RWD cars don't suffer so much but then they can't turn so tightly either! If the alignment is out, it makes it much worse too.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 14:44   #124
kiloran

Ah, OK thanks. I consider myself educated
The only RWD things I've owned previously have been small and Japanese (MK1 MR2 & MX5) which are obviously very different to my Swedish luxobarge!)
940 has the best turning circle of any car I've owned, it's even better than my Mum's 2011 VW Polo which makes absolutely no sense, other than to illustrate the weirdness of modern car design.
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 15:08   #125
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
Ah, OK thanks. I consider myself educated
The only RWD things I've owned previously have been small and Japanese (MK1 MR2 & MX5) which are obviously very different to my Swedish luxobarge!)
940 has the best turning circle of any car I've owned, it's even better than my Mum's 2011 VW Polo which makes absolutely no sense, other than to illustrate the weirdness of modern car design.
The Polo is FWD, it's very difficult to get a FWD car to turn tightly, the driveshafts/CV joints won't normally give the angles needed to turn the wheels enough.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2021, 11:59   #126
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Well my big girl spent all of twenty minutes with Adam; from Adams Tyres and MOT Centre in March Cambs; before emerging with no issues!

Apparently there is a miniscule amount of play in the nearside track rod end but nothing to cause any worries and the tracking and alignment is spot on. Tyres have plenty of meat on them too!

And the cost for their time .. £ZERO!!!

I know where my next lot of tyres are going to be bought and fitted

Off to see a S80 4.4ltr V8 tomorrow ... maybe the next addition to my Volvo stable but my big green goddess will definitely not be replaced or relegated to 2nd place.

user222499_pic11633_1621640409.jpg
nemesisthewarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2021, 12:37   #127
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisthewarlock View Post
Well my big girl spent all of twenty minutes with Adam; from Adams Tyres and MOT Centre in March Cambs; before emerging with no issues!

Apparently there is a miniscule amount of play in the nearside track rod end but nothing to cause any worries and the tracking and alignment is spot on. Tyres have plenty of meat on them too!

And the cost for their time .. £ZERO!!!

I know where my next lot of tyres are going to be bought and fitted

Off to see a S80 4.4ltr V8 tomorrow ... maybe the next addition to my Volvo stable but my big green goddess will definitely not be replaced or relegated to 2nd place.

Attachment 138952
The tracking is the alignment. Good to hear it's as it should be though!

Always fancied an S80 V8, quite a machine! Check the service history paying particular attention to the gearbox ATF changes, should be done every 24k miles if memory serves. Let us all know how it goes!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2021, 15:41   #128
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The tracking is the alignment. Good to hear it's as it should be though!

Always fancied an S80 V8, quite a machine! Check the service history paying particular attention to the gearbox ATF changes, should be done every 24k miles if memory serves. Let us all know how it goes!
Damn it had to cancel the visit to see/drive/buy the S80 as my back up driver .. my brother is mixed up with Covid at work again and won't drive with me as my chemotherapy starts in January.

He won't risk potentially exposing me to any risk ahead of that.. Think I may book an overnight stay and go see it/drive it/buy it soon anyhow

In the meantime the 960 just gets better and better, shes driving like a rocket since I had all the fluids done ... great smiles per gallon fun ...

Anyhow will take my 960 for a treat and have her valeted tomorrow now and then we will see about that S80...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 20:48   #129
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

So I took some time out today to help a mate who is pretty ill and suffering from vitamin D deficiency.

On my way to his gaff I pulled out into the High Street and was quickly joined by one of the "your cars big bottom is so alluring I am going to sit on your back bumper brigade!"

Now I think my 960 has a lovely bum..

006_big_booty_2.jpg

Whereas the nose of the Scooby following me and sniffing my big girls rear was pretty fugly

Needless to say trying to "Scooby Snack" on my rear did not sit well with me... after a tootle through my village at 29.99 mph the fun began.

As the National speed limit was passed in "S" mode 3rd Gear I flattened the Fugly Scoob and quickly fractured the speed limited .. coff coff.. a quick dab on the brakes and the big girl whafted round the 45 degree bend at the end of the nice straight out of my village and we proceeded to engage warp drive leaving the shocked millennial in his Scooby far behind us.

I was laughing so hard I nearly had to clean the seats .. my god can she go and the sound of that straight six is heaven.

New filters and fluids have really transformed what was a fun car into something magical.

I can only wonder at the youngster telling his mates about the fat beardy old git in a 26 year old volvo estate that just flattened him... the legend of the big brick is safe for years to come
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 21:36   #130
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Nemesisthewarlock,

Wonderful! Not envious at all of you as I just bumble along in my 940 2.0 Turbo😀

Continue enjoying Volvoing

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post: