Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coolant steam coming out after fluid change

Views : 763

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2021, 19:16   #1
BertoneP

Default Coolant steam coming out after fluid change

Hi,
I changed the coolant fluid on my C70 2.0d MY2008 when changing timing belt and water pump.

After driving 20 minutes the temp gauge was at middle position, so all ok, BUT I noticed vapours/steam coming out from the area between the EGR cooler and the engiine top edge.

The problem is that I can't figure out were the leak is coming from. I can just pinpoint the area: between the EGR cooler and the engine block were there is a "black plastic lid' that sits across the engine.

Also the area were the injectors sits is all covered with coolant fluid.

I've marked the area in red colour in this picture where the steam is coming out from.
https://postimg.cc/Js036L1L

Any help is very much appreciated.

Last edited by BertoneP; Nov 8th, 2021 at 19:55.
BertoneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2021, 13:12   #2
BertoneP

I think I know the culprit

I have a leaking water pump gasket.

I changed the timing belt and waterpump a couple of weeks ago... I did not use the car but now that I have done it it started to leak refrigerant...and it is leaking more and more...even dripping all over the garage floor. So I suspect I did not install the waterpump correctly.

The strange thing is that the top of the engine it is soaked with coolant...

I will try to start all over again with the timing belt procedure and see if it really is the waterpump but it is very very likely...

I'll come ba k with more info when it is confirmed.

Guess I need to buy a new waterpump gasket...
Old Nov 13th, 2021, 08:48   #3
BertoneP

Dissassembled all again, including the cam belt.

Tested retightening the water pump bolts, and to my (not so big) surprise some bolts
were a bit loose. Specially those on the left side at the rear of the engine block.

So I think this is the cause of the leak. I did torque the bolt up thoroughly the first time but it seems I need to do this next time with even greater force.

Ordered a new gasket (6 EUR) from the Volvo dealer.
The old gasked looked fine but i rather not risk any new problems for just 6 euros.

I'll come back with more, hopefully good, news next week.

Cheers for now.
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 13:57   #4
BertoneP

Hi again,
So I think I solved one problem but still with another one unsolved...

Problem 1) loose water pump bolts causing coolant leaks.
So when I fitted the new water pump it seems I did not mount it correctly or I did not tighten the bolts enough.

So I removed timing belt and water pump for the second time and tightened them bolts very very tight together with the new seal.

Took the car for a ride....and no coolant leaks. GOOD !!!
So that problem fixed...however.....

Problem 2) smelly wapours still coming out from the top of the engine. OMG
In a desperate move, I went to a nearby mechanics and he told that most likely it was the nr 1 and 2 injectors leaking fuel wapours (I had to remove them when i did the cam belt the first time to re-time the engine at TDC...)

So what I thought was hot coolant smell was in fact hot diesel smell...how could I mistake them????? No idea...

Alyway, so I ordered 2 injector copper seals at Volvo (6 EUR each...not very cheap...)
Hopefully this will do the trick. I get the parts tomorrow.

This is what happens when amateurs like me try to tackle major league repair jobs.
The Following User Says Thank You to BertoneP For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 14:53   #5
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

On some bolts it is worth using a low torque thread lock:~
The above can be undone quite easily with normal hand tools- avoid the high strength type for this or similar applications as the bond will be very awkward to break.
One here https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p3...duct_info.html

Bob
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 17:26   #6
BertoneP

Yes, I put threadlock on the pulley bolt. According to the Volvo cam belt repair instructions, no other bolt needs it. But I guess that putting on some on certain bolts is a good idea.
Old Nov 20th, 2021, 14:35   #7
BertoneP

Installed two new copper injector washers, and this helped to get rid of the diesel vapours that were coming out as big smoke when the engine got warm from the engine top
.....BUT now I noticed that there is a small amount of diesel fuel leaking at the return line of injectors 1 and 2 (the ones I removed previously). This also contributed to the vapours but less that the leaking washers...

Will order 2 new plastic return line connectors at the dealer.
So hopefully this will solve the issue at last.

Keep you posted next week.
The Following User Says Thank You to BertoneP For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 13:02   #8
BertoneP

Had to order the complete kit with the 4 connectors and hoses....

Installed it and now it is not leaking from the return lines....HOWEVER now its leaking again from one of the injectors upper inlet port... this happened to me earlier and was fixed by re-tightening it.....but now its leaking again

Looked everywhere for a new original seal (10,5 x 6 x 1 mm) but it seem not to be available as a spare part...not from Volvo nor VDO/Siemens/Continental...Also the external diameter of the original seal (aluminium ?) is smaller than the orifice of the injectors so if you not center the seal correctly, there is a chance you install it off center and risk obstucting the 2 fuel inlet channels apart from also risking leakages..not a good design made in Germany...

So I bought a similar copper seal that I had to adapt and drill out the inner diameter to make it a little bit bigger...installed the injector seal and injector again and this seemed to fix all issues. NO MORE LEAKS (for now at least)...Hurray

Never thought these bl....dy injectors and its components were that delicate and prone for leakages. What a nightmare...luckily we had a happy ending !!!