Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2006 d5 xc70 resonator box delete

Views : 1197

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2021, 07:52   #1
Tjoffroader

Default 2006 d5 xc70 resonator box delete

So I've suffered with the issues of the *turbo resonator rubber bungs splitting. I replaced them (not knowing of the delete and wanted quick fix) then a few weeks later the other went and I replaced that. Now the 1st has split again.

It drove home with the pipe off, I had basic tools in my boot so I got the undertray off and popped dit on but it wouldn't stay on. Could driving without the bottom pipe of the turbo cause damage else where? Because I stopped at the shop in my village and when I started it up and drove it did the bucking (ecu panicking with air fuel mixture?) then it basically wouldn't rev, I had to put it in 1st and roll it up the street to my house. It idled fine, no smells, no noises. I'm hoping it's just cos of the pipe and delete kit will be here today or tomorrow.

Pics are the delete kit on its way

Thanks in advance.

2006 xc70 d5 manual

Last edited by Tjoffroader; Dec 1st, 2021 at 08:30.
Tjoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 09:33   #2
John97Tdi
Master Member

I don't know if its because my XC is an auto or those photos were from a different D5 but there was MUCH less room to tighten the top jubilee clip on mine!
It required getting the clip in just the right position and using a 1/4 inch drive with 'bendy' extension and a lot of patience to tighten the top one.
I was about a quarter mile from home when mine 'popped off' about 2 years ago and it was an 'interesting' drive home. Once I fitted the delete pipe performance was back to normal, but I did change the pipe I got (I bought the first I saw in a bit of a panic) for a more substantial one because I was getting a bit more noise (resonance) and the pipe seemed 'thin' - if the red pipe is what you've ordered it looks thicker than the first one I got. New one fitted fine ( easier the second time!)and good as gold ever since.

John
John97Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 22:30   #3
Tjoffroader

Quote:
Originally Posted by John97Tdi View Post
I don't know if its because my XC is an auto or those photos were from a different D5 but there was MUCH less room to tighten the top jubilee clip on mine!
It required getting the clip in just the right position and using a 1/4 inch drive with 'bendy' extension and a lot of patience to tighten the top one.
I was about a quarter mile from home when mine 'popped off' about 2 years ago and it was an 'interesting' drive home. Once I fitted the delete pipe performance was back to normal, but I did change the pipe I got (I bought the first I saw in a bit of a panic) for a more substantial one because I was getting a bit more noise (resonance) and the pipe seemed 'thin' - if the red pipe is what you've ordered it looks thicker than the first one I got. New one fitted fine ( easier the second time!)and good as gold ever since.

John
I think it might be a bit of camera trickery because the top clamp is only possible to get to like you say, with lots of difficulty and in my case bruising all round the forearm from trying to force my arm up there. All I can remember is that it's 5 ply and 5mm thick. That's reassuring to hear it was resolved. I went through it twice already but didn't try to drive it so the "interesting" drive got me a bit worried. I'll update when done, the delete pipe is at home and I should be fitting it tomorrow.

2006 xc70 d5 manual
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 22:32   #4
Tjoffroader

Quote:
Originally Posted by John97Tdi View Post

John
*edit* I've looked at the pic and that must be from a different d5 because it's no way near that spacious for me too.
I think it might be a bit of camera trickery because the top clamp is only possible to get to like you say, with lots of difficulty and in my case bruising all round the forearm from trying to force my arm up there. All I can remember is that it's 5 ply and 5mm thick. That's reassuring to hear it was resolved. I went through it twice already but didn't try to drive it so the "interesting" drive got me a bit worried. I'll update when done, the delete pipe is at home and I should be fitting it tomorrow.

2006 xc70 d5 manual
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 06:18   #5
Ryanchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjoffroader View Post
So I've suffered with the issues of the *turbo resonator rubber bungs splitting. I replaced them (not knowing of the delete and wanted quick fix) then a few weeks later the other went and I replaced that. Now the 1st has split again.

It drove home with the pipe off, I had basic tools in my boot so I got the undertray off and popped dit on but it wouldn't stay on. Could driving without the bottom pipe of the turbo cause damage else where? Because I stopped at the shop in my village and when I started it up and drove it did the bucking (ecu panicking with air fuel mixture?) then it basically wouldn't rev, I had to put it in 1st and roll it up the street to my house. It idled fine, no smells, no noises. I'm hoping it's just cos of the pipe and delete kit will be here today or tomorrow.

Pics are the delete kit on its way

Thanks in advance.
Having done thus myself I'd recommend that you tighten the top bolt by reaching from the propshaft so back of car rather than straight up, you'll see what I mean when you're there.. Good luck!
Ryanchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 20:00   #6
Tjoffroader

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanchan View Post
Having done thus myself I'd recommend that you tighten the top bolt by reaching from the propshaft so back of car rather than straight up, you'll see what I mean when you're there.. Good luck!
You know what, I was going to check this forum before fitting it and I would have saved 45 minutes of trying different extensions and angles to get to it! Ended up going at it along exhaust and prop shaft from the back.

2006 xc70 d5 manual
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 06:39   #7
Ryanchan

Quote:
You know what, I was going to check this forum before fitting it and I would have saved 45 minutes of trying different extensions and angles to get to it! Ended up going at it along exhaust and prop shaft from the back.
If it makes you feel better I only discovered this the 2nd time round, the replacement hose wasn't tightened properly so came off again but this angle did the trick
Ryanchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 10:12   #8
Tjoffroader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanchan View Post
If it makes you feel better I only discovered this the 2nd time round, the replacement hose wasn't tightened properly so came off again but this angle did the trick
Suppose that does help hahaha. ive got some heavy duty clamps on the way so it'll be off and on again maybe today or tomorrow haha.

2006 xc70 d5 manual