Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'03 V70 Intermittent no start CEM-E000

Views : 3087

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2020, 13:51   #1
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Default '03 V70 Intermittent no start CEM-E000

So, I am documenting this so hopefully Others can learn, Or someone might be out there to offer advice.
Dads 03 V70 with the d5 euro 3 lump.

Bought not so long ago. Weird thing was, when we test drove it it ran lovely. Then towards the end, It came up with "Brake failure, stop safely"
Anyway, long story short, we bought it, Whats the worst that could happen?

Yes,

Its now dead on the drive. Every so often itll throw that error message, with the dratted crank, no start. I found a dead in tank fuel pump. Replaced that and for a few weeks it would run nice. Then During random drives, It would judder then throw up the 'Brake failure' message. After that, it would refuse to start, Or start then immediately die. During that, we would lose all dash clocks apart from the fuel gauge.

CEM you say, DIM you say, Vida confirmed a CEM-E000 code.

Off goes the CEM to Lukas, He says its behaving... Send the DIM. DIM is now in Lukas' posession, I am not convinced he will find anything wrong. While removing the CEM, I spot a 'volvodiagnostic' sticker on it. (repaired already? F**k) Heart sinks, Then I remove the DIM. A different repairer label. (Double F**K!!!)

So, I am about to delve into canbus and wiring, A few pointers would be nice, Because I completely understand if the DIM and CEM come back as 'no fault found', and I dont expect Lukas to give me free phone advice. I have suspicions on:
  • BCM - Brake failure message after a juddering? Coincidence?
  • ECM - Weeks of reading that CEM could be getting hot?
  • UEM - Strange error code on vida - Noisy canbus?
  • Siren module - Bought with alarm service required, Noise on canbus?
Now, The questions.

Faultfinding on canbus, I read that a CEM-E000 could be noise on canbus line.
I will be unplugging modules. Is this advisable to help faultfind while battery is connected? I know it'll throw codes, I have VIDA to clear them.

Anyone run into this in the past? A good CEM and DIM, yet still issues with CEM communications?

Sorry for the long post. SWMBO is worried that I have been very quiet, staying up late, she thinks I am having an affair. No, this car is getting on my tits!
Old Mar 15th, 2020, 15:10   #2
oragex
Premier Member

How many miles? AWD ?

The DIM may go dead, but it should not affect in any way the rest of the car - at least in most cases. Check its connector behind to be sure - battery disconnected. I've driven even without the DIM in the car, of course you get the SRS message and light.

The CEM in 03 is not a problem because it's the old type of CEM - unless it's a very late 03 and you got the new style. See Youtube to get which you have

I'm thinking in the first place at some power ground or cable, around the battery (like the black box near the battery), engine bay at the fuses box or the small cable near the starter. Maybe even a BCM but I don't see how it would affect the DIM. Worth checking everything because it looks like a power problem which would affect several things at once. Of course battery and alternator check. Disconnect the alarm siren at the fuse panel on the side of the dash.
Old Mar 15th, 2020, 16:30   #3
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Its an early 03 model, 2wd.

I didnt think it was the DIM because the only fault that shows is the symptom of the 'brake failure' It was only sent at Lukas' request. According to various sites I've visited, thats also been their symptoms.

I have suspicions its the ABS/BCM.

The alarm module, if the battery had leaked excessively could also cause 'noise' on the canbus line and brick the system?
I read that the BCM is a canbus 'hub' and might also be bricking the system.
I assume you mean the black box by the battery, you mean the REM?
I do have a CEM-1C01 but I am putting it down to excessive cranking to try and start it. I wonder if that may be related to maybe a broken cable near the alternator? Is there a failurer point near that?
Old Mar 15th, 2020, 17:10   #4
oragex
Premier Member

The red + cable from the battery goes into a small black box behind the battery, a owner found the box to the completely corroded inside (water was leaking from above, from a small rubber seal from the trunk cables)

BCM could be faulty, but I haven't seen another situation when it would also cause judder, no start, stall etc. But who knows..

The alarm siren may only trouble electrics such as remote door looks, sunroof, battery drain

Too much cranking overheats the starter and may damage it. At the starter you got a small cable that may rot inside the plastic jacket right near the connection - a bit hard to access

May also search for the brake pedal position sensor and clutch position sensor if it's manual
Old Mar 15th, 2020, 18:09   #5
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Oh wait? You're Peppermint? I've trawled through most of your vids! Thanks for the help with those. Top man!

As for the contact box, All ok there. The only potential crusties I could find were on the towbar wiring. Same with water ingress on the lower taillight. Those are fixed now.
Will report back soon...
Old Mar 15th, 2020, 21:19   #6
oragex
Premier Member

Welcome! Maybe also worth trying on other forums for more answers, another one like https://forums.swedespeed.com/forumd...S60-(2001-2010)
Old Mar 27th, 2021, 23:17   #7
Dazvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
So, I am documenting this so hopefully Others can learn, Or someone might be out there to offer advice.
Dads 03 V70 with the d5 euro 3 lump.

Bought not so long ago. Weird thing was, when we test drove it it ran lovely. Then towards the end, It came up with "Brake failure, stop safely"
Anyway, long story short, we bought it, Whats the worst that could happen?

Yes,

Its now dead on the drive. Every so often itll throw that error message, with the dratted crank, no start. I found a dead in tank fuel pump. Replaced that and for a few weeks it would run nice. Then During random drives, It would judder then throw up the 'Brake failure' message. After that, it would refuse to start, Or start then immediately die. During that, we would lose all dash clocks apart from the fuel gauge.

CEM you say, DIM you say, Vida confirmed a CEM-E000 code.

Off goes the CEM to Lukas, He says its behaving... Send the DIM. DIM is now in Lukas' posession, I am not convinced he will find anything wrong. While removing the CEM, I spot a 'volvodiagnostic' sticker on it. (repaired already? F**k) Heart sinks, Then I remove the DIM. A different repairer label. (Double F**K!!!)

So, I am about to delve into canbus and wiring, A few pointers would be nice, Because I completely understand if the DIM and CEM come back as 'no fault found', and I dont expect Lukas to give me free phone advice. I have suspicions on:
  • BCM - Brake failure message after a juddering? Coincidence?
  • ECM - Weeks of reading that CEM could be getting hot?
  • UEM - Strange error code on vida - Noisy canbus?
  • Siren module - Bought with alarm service required, Noise on canbus?
Now, The questions.

Faultfinding on canbus, I read that a CEM-E000 could be noise on canbus line.
I will be unplugging modules. Is this advisable to help faultfind while battery is connected? I know it'll throw codes, I have VIDA to clear them.

Anyone run into this in the past? A good CEM and DIM, yet still issues with CEM communications?

Sorry for the long post. SWMBO is worried that I have been very quiet, staying up late, she thinks I am having an affair. No, this car is getting on my tits!

Did you find a solution for this please? I have the exact same issues including the buffering, brake warning and stalling and no restart (and also from Newport!)
Any help would be really appreciated it’s driving me mad! (Excuse the pun!)
Dazvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 12:26   #8
oragex
Premier Member

Which year and drivetrain is yours ?
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 10:24   #9
Dazvolvo

V70 2002 Diesel D5 manual.
Dazvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 15:14   #10
Hickop

anyone fondt it out???