Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 T8 new owner questions

Views : 1066

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 11:09   #1
Smelly

Default XC60 T8 new owner questions

Hello,

I have recently brought a XC60 T8 and have a few questions about the car and how to get the best out of it.

This is my first PEHV so some things are new to me.

Is there any advantage in driving in the B mode (hybrid or pure) to regenerate the power from braking. Compared to driving in the charge mode?

Which one is more efficient? I’m currently getting about 50mpg driving around town which is short of the over 100mpg that Volvo advertise. I know the car is fast but I’m driving as carefully as I possibly can. Is this what people are getting? I’m driving in Pure mode and try quite hard in not using the petrol engine.

Love the car though and just need cheap off peak charging at home

Thanks in advance
Smelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 13:23   #2
Automatic Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelly View Post
Hello,

I have recently brought a XC60 T8 and have a few questions about the car and how to get the best out of it.

This is my first PEHV so some things are new to me.

Is there any advantage in driving in the B mode (hybrid or pure) to regenerate the power from braking. Compared to driving in the charge mode?

Which one is more efficient? I’m currently getting about 50mpg driving around town which is short of the over 100mpg that Volvo advertise. I know the car is fast but I’m driving as carefully as I possibly can. Is this what people are getting? I’m driving in Pure mode and try quite hard in not using the petrol engine.

Love the car though and just need cheap off peak charging at home

Thanks in advance
Charge mode is very inefficient as it uses the engine to charge the battery. It has virtually no practical use that I can think of... B mode makes sense around town a lot of the time - its mostly down to personal preference but I flick between the two a lot of the time trying to use B instead of the foot brake as much as possible.
50mpg around town isn't that great if you aren't running out of battery - the engine must be starting quite a lot? You do have to have a very light right foot - it only has 87hp on electric only so don't expect it to be quick when on electric power alone. Mash the throttle and the engine will start and the mpg will fall as fast as the car accelerates!
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 14:46   #3
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

It is cold.

You will be using a lot of fuel to heat the cabin.

You will only achieve the likes of 100mpg if you are constantly charging and only driving to the electric range (ie no more than 20 miles) oh, and with the heating off.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 11:58   #4
Smelly

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that in B mode it could act to almost replace the foot brake. Will give it ago.

I am trying very hard not to accelerate too much so that the petrol engine is not engaged. I do charge the car every night and for my daily commute 20 miles is more than enough.

Thanks for the advice
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 12:52   #5
Cull06
Master Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that in B mode it could act to almost replace the foot brake. Will give it ago.

I am trying very hard not to accelerate too much so that the petrol engine is not engaged. I do charge the car every night and for my daily commute 20 miles is more than enough.

Thanks for the advice
Pure mode gives you a little bit more forgiveness before engaging ice.

Since having the car I tried driving b mode. And found I actually prefer it. I now drive 100% in b mode.
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 18:18   #6
JohnnyNapalm

I also try to use b when out and about. I use is as a braking system most of the time. Cheers.
JohnnyNapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 20:00   #7
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:

Thanks for the advice
What age is your car? Was it a used or new purchase?
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 10:39   #8
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
What age is your car? Was it a used or new purchase?
Hi Phil sorry for the delay in replying. It's a 2020 model. I got it a year old.

Still trying to get used to the B mode as I prefer it without the resistive breaking

Noticed another issue. The app states the car is about 5 miles from it's actual location. I found a thread about disconnecting the battery for 30 mins to reset it.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 13:17   #9
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi Phil sorry for the delay in replying. It's a 2020 model. I got it a year old.

Still trying to get used to the B mode as I prefer it without the resistive breaking

Noticed another issue. The app states the car is about 5 miles from it's actual location. I found a thread about disconnecting the battery for 30 mins to reset it.
Thanks, just asking to determine if you have a fuel burning cabin heater or an electric one. For a 2020 car it almost certainly means you will have a fuel burning heater.

Battery reset does cure a whole load of problems so worth trying. In fact I think it was me which first mentioned this as it got my car going again when it broke down at 6 weeks old in April 2016......