Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anti-skid temporarily off warning, quick question.

Views : 1283

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2021, 11:00   #1
chunky2778

Default Anti-skid temporarily off warning, quick question.

Hi all, I have the above message popping up on each start up, doesn't always log an error but when it does it's the C000E steering angle sensor internal error message

Is there a reason why it puts an error on the dash but doesn't show in the ECU?

Also, I've noticed the voltage drops to 8.6 volts when starting the vehicle then is battery voltage after, I've read about replacing the angle sensor and reflashing the software and I've tested the battery and it's showing ok.

Is it possible to fit a second hand angle sensor and hope that it's been updated, or do they have to be brand new? Is it the actual angle sensor software that's updated or another system that drives it?

On an 05 V70 it's all one unit on the column isn't it?
chunky2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 12:12   #2
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunky2778 View Post
Hi all, I have the above message popping up on each start up, doesn't always log an error but when it does it's the C000E steering angle sensor internal error message

Is there a reason why it puts an error on the dash but doesn't show in the ECU?

Also, I've noticed the voltage drops to 8.6 volts when starting the vehicle then is battery voltage after, I've read about replacing the angle sensor and reflashing the software and I've tested the battery and it's showing ok.

Is it possible to fit a second hand angle sensor and hope that it's been updated, or do they have to be brand new? Is it the actual angle sensor software that's updated or another system that drives it?

On an 05 V70 it's all one unit on the column isn't it?

What battery voltage do you have when the car has stood overnight and not been started and what battery voltage with the car running?

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 15:04   #3
chunky2778

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
What battery voltage do you have when the car has stood overnight and not been started and what battery voltage with the car running?
I'll check that at the weekend as that'll be my first opportunity, and report back, running the diagnostic tool was showing voltage at the ECU to be between 13.6 and 14.2 volts, ignition on 12.3-12.5, cranking it dropped to the 8.6volts, not from cold overnight but it had been stood for 4/5 hours.

On the way home today after deleting all errors it gave the anti-skid temporarily off message a few times, then anti-skid service required, which I assume if I rechecked for codes it will have returned.
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 18:12   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunky2778 View Post
running the diagnostic tool was showing voltage at the ECU to be between 13.6 and 14.2 volts, ignition on 12.3-12.5, cranking it dropped to the 8.6volts, not from cold overnight but it had been stood for 4/5 hours.
Change your battery.
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 18:35   #5
chunky2778

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Change your battery.
Thanks Cheshire, I did wonder at that but the Midtronics tester we have claims it's fine, before I changed it though I didn't know if the low voltage reading was something to do with why they needed new steering angle sensors and a software update, as I'd read the software update changes the parameters of whether or not it picks up an error or not.

It shouldn't really go any lower than 10-10.5 on cranking though should it?
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 19:25   #6
marcb
Master Member

You'll see dozens of threads about anti-skid and the two main culprits are the steering angle sensor and the reluctor rings on the axles.

With the steering sensor it's likely to get worse until a service message comes on as soon as you turn the steering wheel one way.

You can replace it of course - I think it may need programming on the 2005 models (which I have) and I don't know if a second hand one will be OK and a new one is costly. But it isn't an MOT failure or does anything to prevent the car from stopping so I've just left it and I press the info button to not see the several messages that now come up...

It may be something to do with the battery but I doubt it as it's common component error.
marcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 20:06   #7
chunky2778

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
You'll see dozens of threads about anti-skid and the two main culprits are the steering angle sensor and the reluctor rings on the axles.

With the steering sensor it's likely to get worse until a service message comes on as soon as you turn the steering wheel one way.

You can replace it of course - I think it may need programming on the 2005 models (which I have) and I don't know if a second hand one will be OK and a new one is costly. But it isn't an MOT failure or does anything to prevent the car from stopping so I've just left it and I press the info button to not see the several messages that now come up...

It may be something to do with the battery but I doubt it as it's common component error.
The reluctor ring one I've had already but I'm pretty sure that was an ABS faulty message, was a cracked OSF ring.

Yeah I've just been hitting the info button too but was hoping to try and fix it without paying £300 for a new sensor in case it affects the resale value.
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 15:02   #8
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

I was getting a log of steering angle sensor errors, on my XC70, but the battery was getting old, with cranking voltage at the battery well below 10.5V

after I replace the battery with a new one I have only had one such error.

So I would suggest your low battery voltage while cranking may have some thing to do with your steering angle sensor error.

It should log the error in the CEM if I remember correctly .

I would also suggest you try unplugging the wiring from the unit you will find it behind the steering wheel if you remove the column covers, and spray some contact cleaner on the pins/socket then unplugging/re-pugging several times.

I have cleared several intermittent electrical error like this , which I put down to poor contact causing high contact resistance.
XC70Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC70Bob For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 13:03   #9
Tomoose

I had similar issues and cleaning the SAS, (it consists of an optical sensor and decoding ring/plate) worked like a charm!

You have to be very careful to mark the rotating parts during dismantling for accurate reassembly.

I cleaned the decoding ring/plate with contact cleaner, and I cleaned the optical device carefully using a lint free camera lens cleaning cloth.

It's very sensitive and a tiny amount of dust can affect the sensor.

There are a few threads online about how to dismantle the SAS. This one helped, although my sensor has a different setup inside. https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...repair-104661/

The warnings went off after a short drive, and after clearing the codes in VIDA they haven't returned.

You can also use VIDA to graph the SAS angle, go from lock to lock and you'll see it flatline at the angle where the problem is... 🙂
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211209-091338_Photos.jpg (227.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211209-091350_Photos.jpg (367.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211209-091403_Photos~2.jpg (310.8 KB, 18 views)
2004/54 V70 D5 SE in Ash Gold,
2006 V70 D5 185 Ruby Red.

Last edited by Tomoose; Dec 9th, 2021 at 13:16.
Tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomoose For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 20:34   #10
chunky2778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomoose View Post
I had similar issues and cleaning the SAS, (it consists of an optical sensor and decoding ring/plate) worked like a charm!

You have to be very careful to mark the rotating parts during dismantling for accurate reassembly.

I cleaned the decoding ring/plate with contact cleaner, and I cleaned the optical device carefully using a lint free camera lens cleaning cloth.

It's very sensitive and a tiny amount of dust can affect the sensor.

There are a few threads online about how to dismantle the SAS. This one helped, although my sensor has a different setup inside. https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...repair-104661/

The warnings went off after a short drive, and after clearing the codes in VIDA they haven't returned.

You can also use VIDA to graph the SAS angle, go from lock to lock and you'll see it flatline at the angle where the problem is... 🙂
Thanks Tomoose, for the moment I've tried another battery and the electrical cleaner on the SAS.

As things stand I've not seen the light back on yet but if it does then I'll give your method a try.

Seems weird not having any dash messages, think I might miss it telling me about it's day every time I start it.
The Following User Says Thank You to chunky2778 For This Useful Post: