Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Convertible roof and Gtechniq I1

Views : 520

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2016, 12:16   #1
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge
Default Convertible roof and Gtechniq I1

Well spring is just around the corner, supposedly. And time to do something (at last) about my C70 rag-top.

The plan is to have my very shabby, worn, stained and grubby convertible roof re-canvassed. It is completely beyond redemption. The mildew marks and calcified bird poo stains (some neglect in the car's past that I knew about when I bought it) have resisted all efforts (including a Water/Milton mix and much scrubbing with APC and proprietary cleaners). And, apart from which, some extreme wear to the canvas in the usual places has taken its toll. So a re-canvas is the answer.

Then... comes the care of the new one. Yes, I know AG do some very good products for canvas; but another forum member (Sasha) did hers with Gtechniq I1; and I have seen some good reports on it with a bit more research on the subject and might go that way forward.

But the question I have, is if I do use a nano treatment like that, how long does it last. Google searching seems to suggest up to five times as long as 'normal' repellents. Is it that efficient and long lasting?

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 12:40   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I use this stuff on the MX5 roof and it excellent though the beading of water stops after about 3 months at which point you simply reapply which takes 5 mins - the cleaning compound cleaned up the roof to pristine black and it was far from that when I got the car.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car...aintenance-kit

This stuff has also just been released and they say it works on roofs also http://stormsure.co.uk/default/storm...erproofer.html if it is as good as the rest of the Stormsure stuff then it will be good.

Should have said that the MX5 has a mohair roof - don't know what the Volvo has

Last edited by wimorrison; Mar 4th, 2016 at 12:42.
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 12:47   #3
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

You are best doing one roller coat of I1 and then one spray on one.

As durability it has lasted well inside my MX5 not on the outside but I would take the timescale claims with a pinch of salt as many of them are definitely shorter than what many advertise!
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 14:03   #4
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I use this stuff on the MX5 roof and it excellent though the beading of water stops after about 3 months at which point you simply reapply which takes 5 mins - the cleaning compound cleaned up the roof to pristine black and it was far from that when I got the car.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car...aintenance-kit

This stuff has also just been released and they say it works on roofs also http://stormsure.co.uk/default/storm...erproofer.html if it is as good as the rest of the Stormsure stuff then it will be good.

Should have said that the MX5 has a mohair roof - don't know what the Volvo has
When I first got the car, I used the AG stuff, and it was, basically OK. But with the unpredictability of UK weather, the thought of something longer lasting (albeit dearer) does appeal! BTW, the current roof is a canvas one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
You are best doing one roller coat of I1 and then one spray on one.

As durability it has lasted well inside my MX5 not on the outside but I would take the timescale claims with a pinch of salt as many of them are definitely shorter than what many advertise!
Interesting the thought of a roller application! I saw one video on youtube and the guy sort of 'forced' a coat on by rubbing it in with a soft cloth.

As the price of Gtechiq I1 isn't horrendously greater than other products to do the same job, the claims for it do sort of look good. Hence to question! Even if it were to make the long-lasting only twice as much, it would be worth it.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.

Last edited by christheancient; Mar 4th, 2016 at 14:06.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote