Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Remote start and heating question

Views : 6547

Replies : 85

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2016, 09:53   #11
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quick Remote Start tip for iPhone 6S and higher users: Firm press the VOC icon to access remote start directly. It immediately loads the app and starts the remote start procedure, a quick fingerprint touch to authenticate and you're away.

Screenshot attached.

:wq
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0417.jpg (146.3 KB, 32 views)
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 10:08   #12
Lexman8
Premier Member

And for Android users there's a Remote Start widget available. See attached.
_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20161116-101931.jpg (145.5 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Lexman8; Nov 16th, 2016 at 10:18.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 15:30   #13
familymangreg
Premier Member

So must tried this before driving off in the car. I think its going to need a bit more working out. After the remote start and then switching on the ignition, heads up display was not in the correct place, auto seats and steering wheel heating were switched off and climate setting weren't as they were last left.

I thought the head up display position had been saved in the profile, but I could be wrong. As for auto seat and steering wheel heating, these have been switched on for the past few weeks and never deviated.

So not sure which saved setting the remote start is picking up. I'm assuming it can't really be profile related, as at the point of remote start, the car doesn't know which profile will be used next. Having said that, I only have one profile setup and associated with both keys.

Might have to resort to the manual!

Old Nov 16th, 2016, 15:40   #14
Ctpurley

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
So must tried this before driving off in the car. I think its going to need a bit more working out. After the remote start and then switching on the ignition, heads up display was not in the correct place, auto seats and steering wheel heating were switched off and climate setting weren't as they were last left.

I thought the head up display position had been saved in the profile, but I could be wrong. As for auto seat and steering wheel heating, these have been switched on for the past few weeks and never deviated.

So not sure which saved setting the remote start is picking up. I'm assuming it can't really be profile related, as at the point of remote start, the car doesn't know which profile will be used next. Having said that, I only have one profile setup and associated with both keys.

Might have to resort to the manual!

I'm glad someone else has experienced this, thought it was just me. My HUD did the same thing, pretty much went to the top of its screen, however when I pushed the seat memory button it went straight back to its correct position. I also found that the wheel and seats did warm up but on the central screen you couldn't see them on.

I haven't worked out if this is linked to the VOC start yet, or a by product of the profile lock change. Either was, it needs more testing. For the time being, I've turned off the profile lock as I think that's the issue.

One other weird side effect is the temperature in the car keeps on changing to 27 on the driver side and 22 on the passenger side, when the engine is restarted!?! This stopped after I removed the profile lock.
MY17 XC90 D5 Powerpulse Inscription, Onyx Black, Charcoal Nappa, Dark Flame Birch Inlays, Dechromed, Dynamic Pack, Winter HUD Pack, Xenium Pack, BLIS Pack, Subwoofer, CarPlay, Privacy Glass, LED Running Boards
Ctpurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 15:47   #15
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctpurley View Post
I'm glad someone else has experienced this, thought it was just me. My HUD did the same thing, pretty much went to the top of its screen, however when I pushed the seat memory button it went straight back to its correct position. I also found that the wheel and seats did warm up but on the central screen you couldn't see them on.

I haven't worked out if this is linked to the VOC start yet, or a by product of the profile lock change. Either was, it needs more testing. For the time being, I've turned off the profile lock as I think that's the issue.

One other weird side effect is the temperature in the car keeps on changing to 27 on the driver side and 22 on the passenger side, when the engine is restarted!?! This stopped after I removed the profile lock.
Thanks, will have a play later. This article doesn't give much away, other than:

Engine remote start (ERS) means that you can start the vehicle's engine remotely to heat up or cool down the passenger compartment. During ERS, functions such as seat heating, heated door mirrors and rear window are also activated (if selected in the center display).

Quite what 'if selected in the centre display' means I don't know!

Also, to quote from the bottom of this article:

Engine remote start (ERS) is available on the following markets: Belgium, Brazil, Denmark, Finland, Italy, Canada, China, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden and the USA.

I still predict the function will disappear again here in the UK. I also wonder if the above is related to the fact its not quite working as expected with reference to settings, maybe is been incorrectly enabled for UK via VOC, but our cars aren't properly configured for the function.

Old Nov 16th, 2016, 16:08   #16
familymangreg
Premier Member

Ah, maybe I shouldn't be so sceptical. I've just received an email from Volvo UK,

Subject "Start your engine remotely with Volvo On Call"
Main content:
Volvo On Call now includes Engine Remote Start

With the new remote start function you are able to start your car's engine remotely to let the climate control system run for up to 15 minutes. Your Volvo will be cooled or heated according to the last settings made in the car – so you can begin every journey
in comfort.

To access this new functionality, and an explanation of how you can use it, simply download the latest version of the Volvo On Call app today.

If you would like to learn more about all the features of Volvo On Call, you can access our new digital brochure and explore all the benefits in detail from our website

So, looks like it is an official feature! Yippee!

Old Nov 16th, 2016, 16:17   #17
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Yes I know but very few people myself included did not know we had this upgrade, when I read the thread I thought he had this as part of pre-conditioning option. It was not until the evening that I realised there had been an upgrade on volvo oncall. The initial posting did not mention this, so I thought it a good idea to mention that it is now on Volvo on call for everyone.
I can't see an updated app.
This is very very handy for summer. For winter it's pointless for aux heater crowd but gives the functionality to those who saved on heater.
Deman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 16:24   #18
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
I can't see an updated app.
This is very very handy for summer. For winter it's pointless for aux heater crowd but gives the functionality to those who saved on heater.
The feature appeared in my app without an update.

In fact, have just checked in App Store an latest version for IOS was 12th September.

Might not be completely pointless for aux heater crowd (efficiency argument aside), as with the engine running you can in theory have heated screen, mirrors, seats and steering wheel too.

Old Nov 16th, 2016, 16:29   #19
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
The feature appeared in my app without an update.

In fact, have just checked in App Store an latest version for IOS was 12th September.

Might not be completely pointless for aux heater crowd (efficiency argument aside), as with the engine running you can in theory have heated screen, mirrors, seats and steering wheel too.

Thanks. Very handy info in the start screen under "about this function". I guess I would only use it in winter if I parked the car nose uphill somewhere. Aux is so effective I never had a need for remote start.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 16:32   #20
Deman77
Master Member

In summer - yes. After a round of golf to get into a cool car - nice.