Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 top coolant hose popping off

Views : 2862

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2021, 19:02   #21
chunky2778

Today I started the car from stone cold with no rad cap on, and the level started to rise immediately, about an inch then levelled out.

I gently raised the revs to fast idle and the coolant circulated through the top hose straight away but was aeriated.

I can feel a pulse through the bottom radiator hose, (water pump or compression gases?) and the system is still getting air inside it even when hot and bled through.

The pattern seems to be to let car fast idle, air comes through expansion return hose then clears, if left to idle again stops circulating, when brought to fast idle it'll start bubbling again then clear.

Which fits in with the pattern of driving vehicle, usually dual carriageway or around town no problems, then when having to idle, ie traffic lights or drive-thru queue, hose pops off.

Reason I'm asking again is a) it should be self bleeding, I've never had this many problems bleeding a system with no air bleed screws that should basically bleed itself (even though I'm bleeding it daily at the moment), b) the fan cuts in now when the key taken out of ignition even if I've not been driving hard.

Today I made a trip I've made hundreds of times in that car and the fan has never cut in once after getting out of car, today it did. It's just been pootling round town, wasn't driven hard at all.
chunky2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2021, 19:43   #22
chunky2778

https://youtu.be/z28vjbBPhqE

https://youtu.be/ndBIy5Lvq-k
Old Nov 13th, 2021, 21:22   #23
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Hi.
This is a strange one...
The more i watch the vids the more i think the coolant is passing into the expansion bottle but is not draining fast enough through the return hose to the water pump.
At first i thought "yeah ,must be a blocked rad."
You`ve changed the rad so that rules that out. I think there`s a block in the metal pump return pipe. Probably one of the small spigots.
If it were me i`d have the small pipes at the back of the engine off and make sure all are clear. It`s a good oportunity to flush the water ways on the turbo , oil cooler and egr too.
It`s not unknown for pump impellers to fail on aftermarket pumps but never on a Volvo pump which are bomb-proof. I don`t think that is the problem here .
You`ve tested for head gasket trouble which is very unlikely on a D5 anyway .
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2021, 21:43   #24
chunky2778

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOBOY View Post
Hi.
This is a strange one...
The more i watch the vids the more i think the coolant is passing into the expansion bottle but is not draining fast enough through the return hose to the water pump.
At first i thought "yeah ,must be a blocked rad."
You`ve changed the rad so that rules that out. I think there`s a block in the metal pump return pipe. Probably one of the small spigots.
If it were me i`d have the small pipes at the back of the engine off and make sure all are clear. It`s a good oportunity to flush the water ways on the turbo , oil cooler and egr too.
It`s not unknown for pump impellers to fail on aftermarket pumps but never on a Volvo pump which are bomb-proof. I don`t think that is the problem here .
You`ve tested for head gasket trouble which is very unlikely on a D5 anyway .
Hi Volvoboy, thanks for reply.

I'll give it a go. The water pump is an aftermarket, it's a Gates with a metal impeller. I purposely fitted a good make one to try and avoid hassle.

I'll drain and flush the system again and have those pipes off, my only question being if that pipe down to the water pump was blocked, when I reverse flushed the pipes to the matrix it easily filled the expansion bottle from the bottom up?

I hear head gaskets are rare, and obviously I don't want it to be that, I'm just suspicious as to why the rad had a part of the neck blown off it already, and there was coolant spatters around the old aux belt tensioner from the thermostat housing.

I work on fleet vehicles and the exact symptoms of a Combo 1300 head gasket on its way are hoses blowing off, not necessarily overheating and air in the return hose which is why I'm a bit sketchy at the moment.

If I take the top hose off the thermo housing and wait to watch it open the coolant is aeriated.

When I start the vehicle from cold with the cap off sometimes the level rises, but tonight some what looked like fumes came out the bottle. It could also be steam but the car was cold.

Last edited by chunky2778; Nov 13th, 2021 at 21:51.
Old Nov 13th, 2021, 21:47   #25
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

The water pump is about the only thing that hasn't been cleaned, flushed, closely examined or replaced. I can't see any other reasonable course of action than to have the pump off for a look see.
Old Nov 13th, 2021, 21:52   #26
chunky2778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
The water pump is about the only thing that hasn't been cleaned, flushed, closely examined or replaced. I can't see any other reasonable course of action than to have the pump off for a look see.
Hi familyman, thanks for reply, it has been replaced about 6/7 months ago, it's a Gates one, but do you mean in the course of this diagnostic procedure?
Old Nov 13th, 2021, 22:23   #27
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Hi.
I take onboard everything you say and go along with it completely . I`d go for the easy options first and discount them once and for all. If all else fails then I`d have to start looking at head gasket failure.
I`ve put up some pics of the areas where i`d be suspicious of. Don`t know which pipe ( No. 7 ) you`ve got but the layout is generally the same.
I`d be suspicious of the return flange from the head to the pump being blocked or partially blocked.
Watching the flow into the expansion bottle looks to me as if the pump is working and that you can feel pulsing in the return. That sounds like the pump gulping .There may still be an airlock low down caused by a partial blockage.
When you drained down did you use the drain **** at the rear of the block or did you pull off the bottom hose ?
On these engines it`s much better to drain using the cocks and when re-filling to pour into the expansion bottle VERY slowly whilst squeezing the top hose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (364.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg coolant system.jpg (139.3 KB, 17 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to VOLVOBOY For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2021, 22:30   #28
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Sorry. Wrong pic. Should be this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dodgy areas.jpg (193.0 KB, 12 views)
Old Nov 13th, 2021, 22:44   #29
chunky2778

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOBOY View Post
Hi.
I take onboard everything you say and go along with it completely . I`d go for the easy options first and discount them once and for all. If all else fails then I`d have to start looking at head gasket failure.
I`ve put up some pics of the areas where i`d be suspicious of. Don`t know which pipe ( No. 7 ) you`ve got but the layout is generally the same.
I`d be suspicious of the return flange from the head to the pump being blocked or partially blocked.
Watching the flow into the expansion bottle looks to me as if the pump is working and that you can feel pulsing in the return. That sounds like the pump gulping .There may still be an airlock low down caused by a partial blockage.
When you drained down did you use the drain **** at the rear of the block or did you pull off the bottom hose ?
On these engines it`s much better to drain using the cocks and when re-filling to pour into the expansion bottle VERY slowly whilst squeezing the top hose.
Thanks again for reply.

The schematic helps explain things quite a bit better, thanks for going to the trouble of posting the pics.

I'll get out with a hosepipe and have that pipe off tomorrow weather permitting.

I didn't use the block drain no. I don't have access to a ramp and I'm limited for time, so once the rad neck had blown down to about the width of a jubilee clip I just did the rad and stat on my driveway, refilled while burping pipes, warm up cap off, burp pipes some more, take for run with cap on, leave overnight with cap off, top up level.

Next day system has air in it again.

Last edited by chunky2778; Nov 13th, 2021 at 22:48.
Old Nov 13th, 2021, 23:26   #30
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Hi.
These pics are not showing the EGR layout or the cooling pipes. There may well be an airlock / burping issue there so bear that in mind too.
The Following User Says Thank You to VOLVOBOY For This Useful Post: