Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone made a custom subwoofer for the rear passenger side?

Views : 644

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 15:01   #1
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Default Anyone made a custom subwoofer for the rear passenger side?

Watched a a few videos about the V70 Volvo subwoofer and it might have been good then... But todays technology means better can be had etc ! Also I dont like under seat types as they are not up to much .

so I looked at someone who had removed the rear passenger side of the truck . That covers the wheel arch etc .He was in there as you can pick up a power supply for a amp etc there .Also it means easy to tap into speaker wire fore a "line in "

There is enough room there for a small fibreglass backed enclosure and a 8 inch sub sealed . With a small Class D amp like "vibe" do et c. You could have a discreet subwoofer that has no impact on the internal space etc.And that does not need to be removed etc when removing the spare wheel .

Along the lines of this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXaHmnPnMX0&t=529s
JJD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 14:45   #2
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

seems we're the only two really interested in speakers!

I assume you mean in the boot space, passenger side? drivers side may cause issues because you might want to be able to access the petrol flap lock at short notice if you get caught out.

Wiring would be really easy seeing as it's literally next to the battery

also switched (sidelights) live can be patched into from the towbar connector plug hanging by the spare wheel

would be interesting to see it done but not sure how much 'box' space it'd give you, you can't come out too far from the side before you restrict the floor boards from lifting (unless you modify them which wouldn't be impossible I suppose) and you'd have to be sure not to obstruct or disturb the rear electronic module (relays etc) which I think is over on that side..

i've not taken that side panel off but maybe you could mount it in the metal work a bit like the door speakers

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Dec 3rd, 2021 at 14:52.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 15:16   #3
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
seems we're the only two really interested in speakers!

I assume you mean in the boot space, passenger side? drivers side may cause issues because you might want to be able to access the petrol flap lock at short notice if you get caught out.

Wiring would be really easy seeing as it's literally next to the battery

also switched (sidelights) live can be patched into from the towbar connector plug hanging by the spare wheel

would be interesting to see it done but not sure how much 'box' space it'd give you, you can't come out too far from the side before you restrict the floor boards from lifting (unless you modify them which wouldn't be impossible I suppose) and you'd have to be sure not to obstruct or disturb the rear electronic module (relays etc) which I think is over on that side..

i've not taken that side panel off but maybe you could mount it in the metal work a bit like the door speakers

Stuart . Using a slim profile 8 inch in a sealed enclosure .I would keep the grill flush with the outer fabric of that panel . to ensure its stealth and allow things to move as they should .With some good fibre fill to trick the enclosure and make the speaker think its in a larger volume etc .It would only take a few litres of volume and thats not a lot ! The speaker would be mounted in front of the electrics on the passenger side and go over the wheel arch . With a small mono Vibe amp . The level of bass is set correctly would be very "SQ" .

THis "yellow" amp sure was a good buy ! . I also thought a forum section for in car electrics such as hifi would be a good idea as its more "focused" .
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 15:32   #4
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

In fairness like I say I don't actually know what it looks like behind that panel, have you had it off? there might be bags of space

I was just wondering if the inner skin of the metalwork is literally just behind that panel then you might have to cut some away to make room?

my box being fitted so tightly across behind the seats means it isn't a quick easy job for me to pop the panel off and have a look

if you get a chance can you put up a picture with the panel off, others might think it's a good idea and want to do the same!

mini project - link
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 22:14   #5
JJD1
I've Been Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_98-fpKL2U
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 22:16   #6
JJD1
I've Been Banned

I will remove the panel and take pics next week . I use to do private installs and always kept them "stealth " and very SQ . I am 100% going to swap the door speakers over to Vibes .But still cap them off so they are not farting about with low bass . The sound will be improved .
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 23:34   #7
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Yeah I was playing with mine again today I found that with the crossover set to 100 it fades off nicely down to 50hz where it cuts out which is ideal, you still get a little bit of kick drum and some bass but not hard even when up reasonably loud

Then I just set the subs to crossover at about 120 so there's a bit of overlap and no gaps, it seems to work really nicely, for a wide range of styles and different albums

Fitted my front tweeters today and they sound alright as well I suppose if you like really high pitches lol main thing is they fit in the hole and they work

One random thing though, for some reason when fiddling with refitting the passenger side front door card that 6.5" just stopped working when I switched it back on. So I took the door card back off, and while running just gave the cone a gentle press. Jumped back into life. Weird. Only done it that one time, not before or since but will keep testing it every now and then. Not sure if just a random glitch or a sign of a duff driver

mini project - link
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 23:38   #8
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Overall the whole system sounds brilliant, crisp and clear, effortless big volumes without breaking up, for sure the best I've had in any of my cars so far. Although to be fair I thought that anyway before I upgraded the components

Obviously the bass is more than sufficient I only have it turned up about 60% on the amp itself, that's why I wanted twin 12s though I was fed up of previous ones burning out from being at max all the time

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Dec 4th, 2021 at 00:06.