Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

M90 Gearbox Ratios / ID

Views : 915

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 20:35   #1
Badger vs Bodgers

Default M90 Gearbox Ratios / ID

Hi all, here's a quick conundrum for the experts on here. The first 940 I bought came with a load of spares, including a spare red block M90 gearbox with no identification on it. From my research (and the engine) it should be an L1 or L2 version.

Checking the ratios on 5th to identify it, I get 0.76:1 rather than the 0.7 (L2) or 0.81 (L1). I've double and triple checked this, so I'm fairly certain in my results. Any ideas what I've got here?!

Last edited by Badger vs Bodgers; Dec 2nd, 2021 at 20:40.
Badger vs Bodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badger vs Bodgers For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 06:15   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger vs Bodgers View Post
Hi all, here's a quick conundrum for the experts on here. The first 940 I bought came with a load of spares, including a spare red block M90 gearbox with no identification on it. From my research (and the engine) it should be an L1 or L2 version.

Checking the ratios on 5th to identify it, I get 0.76:1 rather than the 0.7 (L2) or 0.81 (L1). I've double and triple checked this, so I'm fairly certain in my results. Any ideas what I've got here?!
Check pg 103 on this pdf for the correct ratios for the M90H and M90L as none of the 5th gear ratios you mention apply to any M90 listed according to Volvo.

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...DataPocket.pdf

Easiest way of checking it's an M90 is if reverse is right and back rather than left and forwards and if it is definitely an M90, i'd hazard a guess it is a prototype gearbox. It's not unknown for prototype boxes to escape into the world but obviously very rare. It could also be a box built for motorposrt use by Volvo that has escaped.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Dec 3rd, 2021 at 06:29. Reason: Forgot link........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 08:38   #3
Badger vs Bodgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Check pg 103 on this pdf for the correct ratios for the M90H and M90L as none of the 5th gear ratios you mention apply to any M90 listed according to Volvo.

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...DataPocket.pdf

Easiest way of checking it's an M90 is if reverse is right and back rather than left and forwards and if it is definitely an M90, i'd hazard a guess it is a prototype gearbox. It's not unknown for prototype boxes to escape into the world but obviously very rare. It could also be a box built for motorposrt use by Volvo that has escaped.
That's a useful resource! I was going off what I found on Wikipedia and turbobricks, which always has the chance of being a bit flakey to be fair.
All the gears are in the correct place to be an M90, but the only identifier on it is the number 1023650-12, which I can't seem to match up to anything. :

Maybe it's a prototype then? I'll check the ratios of the other gears when I get the chance. The engine it came attached to is of unknown providence, but is a B230FK.
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 09:04   #4
baggy798
🤍💙💗

How are you measuring it?

You could use a degree wheel. 0.70 is 252° and 0.81 is 292°.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/65/41...e5ddd4f67c.gif

Turn the input one revolution and see how far the output moves, that'll be easier to see. 360°+70° = L1, 360°+110° = L2.
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 09:04   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger vs Bodgers View Post
That's a useful resource! I was going off what I found on Wikipedia and turbobricks, which always has the chance of being a bit flakey to be fair.
All the gears are in the correct place to be an M90, but the only identifier on it is the number 1023650-12, which I can't seem to match up to anything. :

Maybe it's a prototype then? I'll check the ratios of the other gears when I get the chance. The engine it came attached to is of unknown providence, but is a B230FK.
I've found quite a few "incorrect facts" on both turbobricks and Wikipedia - i used the quote marks round the words as they may actually be correct in the country where the person added that information lives just not for here.

I would think the 1023650-12 number is the complete assembly part number for the gearbox, especially if it's on the label underneath the box. However, searching gcp.se and volvopartswebstore.com doesn't bring anything up but in fairness the M90 gearbox doesn't have a listing so is presumably NLA.
Someone like Luke may be able to confirm the part number if he has another M90 floating around and can look, that said i wouldn't be surprised to learn the last 2 digits are different which would be down to the odd ratios. In my theory at least!

The main thing is the condition overall of the gearbox and if it's worth your while keeping it as a spare or polishing to put on the mantelpiece as an ornament?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 12:54   #6
360beast
Go redblock or go home

The weak point is the 3rd gear stop ring, it can go beyond where it is meant to so you lose 3rd gear. The solution is to weld it in place and is what is needed for high power applications, I need to do it for my 940 when I get my spare engine built up with the Holset turbo etc.

I've whatsapped Ben about this.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 17:47   #7
Badger vs Bodgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
How are you measuring it?

You could use a degree wheel. 0.70 is 252° and 0.81 is 292°.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/65/41...e5ddd4f67c.gif

Turn the input one revolution and see how far the output moves, that'll be easier to see. 360°+70° = L1, 360°+110° = L2.
I basically did the latter version - I marked up input and output, then turned the input 5 times. Should have been a little over 6 if it was a 0.81, a bit over 7 if it was a 0.7.

Of course it came out at a little over 6.5 turns... lovely.

Looking at the pictures and talking to Luke, it's definitely an M90 of some shape or another. It seems to be in good nick, but of course it's very difficult to say without putting it behind an engine!

I'm going to count the ratios on the other gears to see what they're like, and if it's favourable consider swapping it into mine. I'll crack it and eyeball the inside before I do that - at least with a borescope to check for signs of damage.

Thanks for the help guys