Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

steering rack - problems

Views : 1949

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2021, 18:40   #1
Mikemgs

Default steering rack - problems

Hi,
I have a 2008 S60 D5 185. The steering rack popped about a month ago, ****ing fluid everywhere. Managed to get it to a mechanic friend of a friend who said he'd get it done.... long story.

He ordered a refurb rack, which arrived, he returned mine off the car, without noting part numbers or checking it against the new one fitted the new rack only to find it was screw fix and mine was push fit. He then ordered a 2nd unit, which arrived, he fitted it and then realised it had no speed sensor. Ordered a 3rd unit, fitted it but informed me when I picked the car up he had to cut the outer tie rod to make it fit and get the wheels in alignment. I didn't think much of it, but a week later I had to replace the bottom ball joint on the off side, did this myself, took it for re alignment and the guy could not do it as he said there were no enough threads left on the tie rod. Also since this rack was fitted the wheels rub on the inner arches on full lock. I went back to the mechanic. He insisted the rack was right but it can't be, as why would you need to cut the tie rod?
I sourced a new / old rack from Volvo breakers Huddersfield which was send by DHL unfortunately they lost it. After 2 weeks of trying to locate it we asked for a refund and sourced yet another new / old rack from Volvo / SAAB Nottingham. This arrived and was fitted today........the mechanic calls me and says he cannot align the wheels, the rack is too long.
This is now 5 or 6 racks - all wrong for this car. How is this possible?
I have a friend who knows someone that works for Volvo and he supplied thi part number from their system - 36050379 - but I literally cannot find anything on ebay or from a breakers or anywhere that has this.
I can't pay a grand to volvo for a brand new part, the cars just not worth it as much as I love it. The needs a speed sensor and push fit hydraulics.
Can anyone help. Its driving us mental.

Update - been told its 11-1196r elstock

Now need to find this in RHD. Everywhere I find them they're LHD

Last edited by Mikemgs; Dec 4th, 2021 at 20:48.
Mikemgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 21:07   #2
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

No I can't help, but you have my every sympathy because I've been there and have the T shirt. Seems like a bizarre scenario but it's not unprecedented, sadly.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 21:26   #3
Mikemgs

Such a weird thing. How many racks did volvo make for a series of car?
I'll guess I'm gonna be looking for a while. I'll have a ring around Monday and hope I can find the right one.
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 21:34   #4
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Seemed to chuck them together in seemingly random combinations.

My mechanic told me I was an idiot and ordered up a rack himself.

Also wrong. Twice
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 21:36   #5
Mikemgs

In a way I'm glad to hear that. My Mechanic is so f#cked off. I don't think he'll ever do a Volvo again.
Thank you for the support my wrong rack bro!
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 00:40   #6
MrJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemgs View Post
In a way I'm glad to hear that. My Mechanic is so f#cked off. I don't think he'll ever do a Volvo again.
Thank you for the support my wrong rack bro!
I think the place I go to feels the same after the rack on my C70, 3rd rack finally fit then a week later dropped the fluid, supplier ended up paying for a rack from Volvo, think it was about £1500
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 18:28   #7
Mikemgs

I can't believe the only way to get the right rack is through Volvo but it is starting to look like it is.
I'm gonna spend some time ringing around tomorrow, but to be honest I think the people he got the rack from the first time, the ones who he then sent mine too should shoulder some responsibility.
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 18:50   #8
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
I can't believe the only way to get the right rack is through Volvo but it is starting to look like it is.
I'm gonna spend some time ringing around tomorrow, but to be honest I think the people he got the rack from the first time, the ones who he then sent mine too should shoulder some responsibility.
Take old rack off. Send to a refurber. Get it back in 48hrs. Refit. The end (IMHO, having been through it)
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 18:52   #9
Mikemgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Take old rack off. Send to a refurber. Get it back in 48hrs. Refit. The end (IMHO, having been through it)
I wish I could. The mechanic already sent mine back on exchange over a month ago. Sent it before he fitted the one they sent to him and realised it was wrong!
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 18:54   #10
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
I wish I could. The mechanic already sent mine back on exchange over a month ago. Sent it before he fitted the one they sent to him and realised it was wrong!
Doh! I couldn't do it either because my mechanic didn't want a lift tied up.

Would have been tied up for a much shorter time, as it turned out