Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

steering rack - problems

Views : 1952

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2021, 19:04   #11
Mikemgs

Update for anyone interested

Spoke to a couple of really helpful people today - Mark at Volvo SAAB in Nottingham, spent a good 30 minutes on the phone with me trying to help, gave me alternative part numbers to try and locate a rack, also actually looked around himself but we didn't find anything.
He recommended me to a guy called Mike (good name) at power racks direct. I called him and we went through everything as earlier in my post and he was certain that he had a rack on the shelf that would fit, told me it should be 1100mm long and to ask my mechanic to measure the rack that was too long and send pics. I did this, and the rack we have is around 1093 long from end to end with the ties rods on and this was too long for my car, so all in all, the rack Mike has on the shelf cannot possibly fit either.

Everyone is now stumped. Mike at power racks said there's two lengths. 1100mm and 1115mm so how the shorter 1100mm one we have is too long is impossible.

I've asked the mechanic to put the very first recon rack back on and do what he can to make it work.

Seems like my car is the only one in the universe with the rack that was first on it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KeR...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Mikemgs; Dec 6th, 2021 at 19:05. Reason: pic
Mikemgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 20:39   #12
chunky2778

Can't you contact the suppliers he sent the rack back to and see if they still have your old rack? It might just be sat in a box somewhere waiting to be refurbed?

Is it worth finding out if the rack bodies are the same width and you could just fit genuine/correct length track rods and ends?

Why is your mechanic fitting parts and sending old ones off before it's even been checked it's the right one?
chunky2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 20:00   #13
Mikemgs

[QUOTE=chunky2778;2791131]Can't you contact the suppliers he sent the rack back to and see if they still have your old rack? It might just be sat in a box somewhere waiting to be refurbed?

Is it worth finding out if the rack bodies are the same width and you could just fit genuine/correct length track rods and ends?

Why is your mechanic fitting parts and sending old ones off before it's even been checked it's the right one?[/QUOTE

1: - tried to contact the rack people they said it was gone. No chance of getting it back - this was about 2 months ago

2: tried everything rack wise - everyone says the inner and outer tie rods are the same across all racks

3: Was a collection on delivery. The courier that dropped of the new rack had to collect the old rack at the same time
Mikemgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 18:40   #14
JunKie

Sorry I can't help you but I also had a nightmare with recon racks from Lion. Seems they did little more than paint them black, there was still rust inside and the valve drive pin was dangerous, with the car wandering all over the road. Had two from them before I gave up and sent one to Kiley Clinton in Birmingham, got it back in 3 days and all my problems are fixed, wish I'd gone with them to start with but they didn't have one in stock for a quick swap over....
JunKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 20:10   #15
chunky2778

Just seen there's a sticky at the top of this page about wheels rubbing the inner wing.

Looks like it's a common problem and wondered if you'd seen it?

I saw that you said earlier in the thread the rack seemed too short and the wheels were rubbing inner wing, seems someone fixed it with 5mm wheel spacers?
chunky2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 13:12   #16
MrJames

[QUOTE=Mikemgs;2791674]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunky2778 View Post
Can't you contact the suppliers he sent the rack back to and see if they still have your old rack? It might just be sat in a box somewhere waiting to be refurbed?

Why is your mechanic fitting parts and sending old ones off before it's even been checked it's the right one?[/QUOTE

1: - tried to contact the rack people they said it was gone. No chance of getting it back - this was about 2 months ago

2: tried everything rack wise - everyone says the inner and outer tie rods are the same across all racks

3: Was a collection on delivery. The courier that dropped of the new rack had to collect the old rack at the same time

It sounds like you're in a similar situation to me when I had issues with the C70, you need to push for the rack supplier to sort this, they either need to return your rack and refund you or they need to supply a rack that fits the car if they can't supply a refurb THEY need to go and speak to Volvo about a rack from them and pickup the bill and learn to keep track of core returns until the return period is over.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 20:40   #17
CricketyJimin

Quote:

IIRC the outer is indeed the same for SMI vs ZF, but the inner is not. Push fit is ZF isn't it?
CricketyJimin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 12:09   #18
AdamPJH

Default :confused_smile:

Did you mangage to get to the bottom of this?

I recently picked up my first volvo, a 2005 2.4 v70 SE. The thing is imaculate apart from the steering. Im changing the pump this weekend and fluid as i hope this will fix it. But im concerned it may be the rack (the steering wheel goes light and heavy/twitchy when turning at all speeds); so i've tried to find a replacement rack but it seems like a mine field....
AdamPJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 13:17   #19
abdiel
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamPJH View Post
Did you mangage to get to the bottom of this?

I recently picked up my first volvo, a 2005 2.4 v70 SE. The thing is imaculate apart from the steering. Im changing the pump this weekend and fluid as i hope this will fix it. But im concerned it may be the rack (the steering wheel goes light and heavy/twitchy when turning at all speeds); so i've tried to find a replacement rack but it seems like a mine field....

Just get yours refurbished if it proves to be causing your steering problems.
I believe the turnaround time is very short?
abdiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 00:43   #20
BathFS60

I'm having same problem with my S60. Mechanic trying to get a quote to do clutch, flywheel and rack. Can he get price for the rack? Nope, only from volvo and they aren't very forthcoming with part numbers and specs! I feel your pain!
BathFS60 is offline   Reply With Quote