Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seat query

Views : 1324

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2021, 10:35   #1
volvocamper
Master Member

Default Seat query

I currently lease a 2018 XC90 R-Design Pro with the Nubuck/Nappa leather seats which are all Nappa leather sides etc (except the Nubuck areas in the centres of course). I liked the car so much that in October I leased a 2022 XC90 R-Design Pro for delivery in March and choose the same Nubuck/ Nappa seat option assuming it would be as per the 2018 car however, a bit more digging has revealed while the seats in the new car will be Nappa leather and Nubuck in the front seats, the side bolsters in the 2nd row seats are made from vinyl (and have been since March this year) as opposed to leather.
I am concerned the vinyl in the new car will make it feel lower in quality than the 2018 car so wondered about specifying the ‘Nappa soft leather upholstery’ for an additional £1000. The query is the dealer says that even if i do that, the side bolsters in the 2nd row seats will STILL be vinyl. I cannot see how Volvo can charge an additional £1000 for Nappa leather upholstery and then it not be all leather.
Has anyone taken delivery of an XC90 recently with the Nappa leather option and can confirm whether there is ANY vinyl in the 2nd row please?
volvocamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 12:56   #2
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

BMW are doing similar on some models now. Leather is one of the commodities in short worldwide supply.
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 13:54   #3
Dohnut

I was completely unaware of this but will you really notice the difference, though? Can't say I will.
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 14:18   #4
volvocamper
Master Member

May be i wont notice and indeed many who have Mar 21 on R-Design or R-Desigb Pro’s with the standard Nubuck/Nappa leather seats will be unaware re the vinyl element in their car but these cars are £70k. The irony is the leather saving in just the bolsters in the 2nd row seating seems such a small amount of leather saved that you wonder if it is worthwhile plus there is no mention of the vinyl in the Volvo specifications, it is only when you go into the on-line configurator that it is mentioned and i know it is true as have been and looked at a 21 MY car.
The steering wheel is also now covered in vinyl not leather and I guess the key-fob too. All these little things add up to make me wonder if this is going to be quite such a nice place to be as the 2018 car? Hence my look-see at the full Nappa seat version, which as above raised questions.
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 14:53   #5
Haldex
Premier Member

If it's anything like the new vegan-pleather steering wheel - you really won't notice the difference. As a matter of fact my '18 XC60 RD nappa-clad steering wheel was scratched by accident on its first service - replaced for free by the dealer - and it was a mere fingernail that caused it. I purposely tested scratching the new style pleather RD steering wheel while I was testing for a new purchase - and it seems to be resistant to much worse than nails - yet it feels equally soft in my arms. Not that I'm justifying Volvo selling vinyl as nappa - I get your gripe.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 18:30   #6
Dohnut

Tbh I’ve never really viewed leather as much of a luxurious material. It’s more a case of that’s what seats come trimmed in for me. And like I mentioned earlier I doubt I can tell the difference between real leather and leatherette in a car interior scenario.

Bit naughty charging £1k for nappa though if not all of the seats are covered in it. I guess you’ve got to read the detail!
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 18:58   #7
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohnut View Post
Tbh I’ve never really viewed leather as much of a luxurious material. It’s more a case of that’s what seats come trimmed in for me. And like I mentioned earlier I doubt I can tell the difference between real leather and leatherette in a car interior scenario.

Bit naughty charging £1k for nappa though if not all of the seats are covered in it. I guess you’ve got to read the detail!
I am a bit ‘old School’ and have always felt leather and its feel (and smell in the old days) in my cars lends an air of quality where as vinyl takes me back to the 1980’s.
I think I am looking at it all in too much detail - your car is exactly the same model and almost same spec as mine and guessing you are having the standard seats. The driver/passenger seats are great as the bolsters are indeed Nappa leather and i feel look nicer than the perforated leather bolsters (seat edges) in my 2018 so I am v happy with those but I just have to get my mind round the vinyl in the 2nd row. My wife thinks I am crazy as tbh the rear seats will hardly ever be used but still like to know they are leather (ideally). Ironically I prefer the Nubuck centres in the standard seats so if i pay £1000 extra for the Nappa leather upgrade, I will probably find the drivers seat less comfortable than the standard Nubuck - go figure!!! And if as dealer says, the bolsters would still be vinyl with the Nappa option I would be v unhappy hence the question.

2 people on here have now said they cant tell the difference between leather and vinyl on the steering wheel and it still feels ‘good’ and i can see it may be less prone to damage. The 23 model will all have vinyl steering wheels (except the Ultimate model if you specify the blond seats which will have a black/blond leather wheel.
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 19:26   #8
Dohnut

Maybe try and not think of it as vinyl. That does have nasty, 70’s, backs of the legs burning in summer (my day had an Alegro) connotations about it. I think the modern stuff is much more agreeable.

And yes, I’ve stuck with the standard seats as I don’t like the sagging leather look you get over time with full leather.
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 22:44   #9
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohnut View Post
Maybe try and not think of it as vinyl. That does have nasty, 70’s, backs of the legs burning in summer (my day had an Alegro) connotations about it. I think the modern stuff is much more agreeable.

And yes, I’ve stuck with the standard seats as I don’t like the sagging leather look you get over time with full leather.
Lots of cars now use an imitation leather for the sides of seats and armrests and such, visually it's almost impossible to tell the difference. Oh, and leather doesn't smell like leather any more 😥
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 06:43   #10
Wabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
Lots of cars now use an imitation leather for the sides of seats and armrests and such, visually it's almost impossible to tell the difference. Oh, and leather doesn't smell like leather any more 😥
It *should* if its actually leather though - I would assume the 'leather' you think it 'leather' is possibly not actually 'leather'.

Wasn't it much more simple when something had to be what it was sold as ....
Wabby is offline   Reply With Quote