Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

It's not like me to moan about the Police but...

Views : 6015

Replies : 80

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2011, 21:42   #1
AcidicDavey
Younger Member

Default It's not like me to moan about the Police but...

Had loads of petrol so I went for a drive in the Brecon Beacons in my 480.

Driving on the A4507 I think when I drove past an undercover Volvo V70 whom was dealing with a crim on the other side of the road and then a couple of miles down the road they come into my rearview mirror at speed and I thought dam it! They're going to nick my for driving at 'X' speed and then they put their blues on and pulled over where they told me to.

They opened my driver's door and said "Excuse me sir, but are you the driver?' Seriously!! Why are you asking me this if you've just pulled me over?! Of course I'm guessing he meant to say 'Are you the Owner?' so I'll let him off. His colleague then started to ask the usual Qs about insurance etc and then said: "Did you know it's illegal to fit an exhaust to your car that increases the volume of the engine!"

I of course know this to be rubbish (Unless the law has just changed!) and he then pretty much clarified this by saying "We'd usually be giving you a £60 fine but we're only giving you a verbal warning". He didn't ask me to sort it, he just pretty much threatened me lol. They then proceeded to ask questions about the car like "What size is the engine?" and "How much petrol does it use?"

They then sent me on my way without asking to see my license or telling me to sort the motor out probably because I was of course polite as I usually am. My question though is do they really have nothing better to do than chase me down just to talk to me about my car? I personally think they just wanted a closer look at the 480!

Oh just to make it even more annoying when I drove off from where the pulled me over I was gifted by severe swaying to the left, so I pulled over to discover this:

They ordered me on to the stupid rutted entrance of a forest ground and therefore caused that damage. Oooor, you could look at it another way and say that's it a complete coincidence and they saved me from having a blowout or whatever.

Anyway it's annoying!

Rant over, for now.

P.S. the reason for all the damage to the Inside edge of the tyre was due to along left hander before finding a suitable place to stop!

Last edited by AcidicDavey; May 14th, 2011 at 21:50.
AcidicDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 21:49   #2
andy_d
Premier Member

get used to it.
for every good 1 theres 5 like that. thugs and bullies in uniform
for Gawds sake DONT take their numbers and report them unless you Want to be stopped every single time you go out for similar threats and worse.

and folk wonder Why the police have a bad name...
Old May 14th, 2011, 22:13   #3
scr8pdo
Premier Member

They asked me that once "are you the driver of this vehicle" I was on my own, I said I know its automatic but i got to effin be here
Old May 14th, 2011, 22:19   #4
scr8pdo
Premier Member

But seriously some of these are on a real power trip, big inferiorty complex me thinks, I can just see them at home dressed in stockings and sussies with the old women torturing them with a truncheon lol, you got to play the game with these, they are just waiting for an excuse to nick you, be over polite, and get away from them, that way they wont win, but dont tar em all with the same brush, they would be the first people you would call if something bad happened, its just got a lot of bad apples in it (Police force) as with anything.

I used to fight them when I was younger, but you will never win, its a quick Mayday on the radio and they storm you mob handed, believe me I got the scars on my head to prove it, then you realise you can never beat the system, get sick of rolling round on the floor, getting slapped up by 4 or 5 of em (aint nice) they will always back each other up, so best play the game and stay out there way

Last edited by scr8pdo; May 14th, 2011 at 22:24.
scr8pdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:21   #5
fungus

I've seen that type of tyre damage before it was caused by a broken coil spring cutting the side wall, quite common on Citroen Piccasso's apparantly.
Past: V40 2.0T Sport Lux Auto 2003 171K
Past: 340DL
fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:33   #6
Bigman1207

MMM Stocking and suspenders eh !

Good and bad in any job all over the world, Cops just get more negative press than most. Older ones are better I find and youngsters can be a little over zealous.

No need to ask for MOT and Insurance as they can be checked via PNC or ANPR, licence can be checked via a link on PNC so no need to produce it.

As for the exhaust....well he must be trying to give you an excuse to pull you over when in reality he does not need any excuse at all.

Polite works but not smarmy polite as it looks like you may have something to hide!

Cheers

Bm
Bigman1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigman1207 For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:42   #7
Speedy

I was going through Shrewsbury the other day and Plod was in front of me. It was quite amuzing to see the driver (only occupant) to be leaning towards the center of the car, like you see the boy racers doing nowa days. Either the seat is broken or he's the new generation that have made into the fuzz. I must be getting old
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:51   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungus View Post
I've seen that type of tyre damage before it was caused by a broken coil spring cutting the side wall, quite common on Citroen Piccasso's apparantly.
Indeed it is and citroens way of dealing with it is to fit a clamped cup below to the spring to catch it when it breaks rather than fit a pair of modified springs as volvo would do ...
Old May 15th, 2011, 10:11   #9
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Indeed it is and citroens way of dealing with it is to fit a clamped cup below to the spring to catch it when it breaks rather than fit a pair of modified springs as volvo would do ...
Rover 75's & Ford Mondeo's too

BTW, it is illegal to modify the cars exhaust system, and if you want to be really anal about it, you are meant to inform your insurance anytime you change any part of the exhaust, even in Kwik-Fit

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 10:15   #10
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigman1207 View Post
MMM Stocking and suspenders eh !

Good and bad in any job all over the world, Cops just get more negative press than most. Older ones are better I find and youngsters can be a little over zealous.

No need to ask for MOT and Insurance as they can be checked via PNC or ANPR, licence can be checked via a link on PNC so no need to produce it.

As for the exhaust....well he must be trying to give you an excuse to pull you over when in reality he does not need any excuse at all.

Polite works but not smarmy polite as it looks like you may have something to hide!

Cheers

Bm

As you say, most stuff can be checked directly nowadays, no more 7 day wonders, I used to have a few aliases but now there is no getting away with it, so I make sure iam legal or driving a legal car, too many cameras about these days