Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

It's not like me to moan about the Police but...

Views : 6017

Replies : 80

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2011, 10:47   #31
Bigman1207

"As a former RAF officer, I think coppers are just the chaff who weren't good enough to get a Full commission in the Forces so went for the easy option - even the Military police officers were looked down upon as the unfortunate! It was a prime 're-branch' if you fail your exams etc.. for your chosen branch they let you become a Copper instead as the soft option, as just about anyone could pass the exams and professional course. "

Thanks for that mate! love being called Chaff!
Bigman1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 10:51   #32
scr8pdo
Premier Member

As I said earlier, there are bad apples in all walks of life, ive had some horrible experiences with police and some fair dealings too, last time I was pulled over because my number plate was not spaced out right and the ANPR camera didnt recognise the plate, I was followed and pulled, brake light out too, that time I was dealt with professionally with manners, and was even thanked for stopping, he warned me to get the plate changed within 2 weeks and that was it, off I went, I was also polite answered his questions, job done, no problem.

You cant tar them all with the same brush, the time before I was pulled in Rochdale by 2 in a traffic car, I had my wife and a young baby with me, a car on the back, with the steering lock smashed off, no logbook, it wasnt stolen, i was collecting 3 cars off the same bloke and this was the first, he was gonna dig paperwork out on the next run, well the driver (copper) was a nasty, power crazed bully, the passenger was polite, understanding, I know they play mind games, good cop bad cop, this was one of those instances, he was gonna get my truck towed off because he reckoned I didnt have a licence, told me I was lying etc etc, I had a full Isle0of-Man licence, perfectly legal, insured etc etc, but this ar**wipe had it in for me, when I tried to explain, he spat "dont interupt me" "just listen to ME and you WILL learn" I nearly boiled over but I kept my cool, just to get away from that horrible BASTID!

Just ask yourself, who would you call if your house had been burgled, car been nicked etc, most police are there to genuinly help, but as I say there are a few who give the good ones a bad name, ive been battered by police for resisting arrest, had my head stamped on and jumped on, just for being strong and not letting them cuff me, now thats bang out of order, id of probably prefered a face full of CS gas than that beating
Old May 16th, 2011, 10:55   #33
Bigman1207

There is good and bad in every walk of life, it matters not what they wear or what they do..... I just dont like it when people generalise without knowing me...my history ...my job... one cap fits all... I think not !
Bigman1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigman1207 For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2011, 10:59   #34
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigman1207 View Post
There is good and bad in every walk of life, it matters not what they wear or what they do..... I just dont like it when people generalise without knowing me...my history ...my job... one cap fits all... I think not !

I take PEOPLE on face value, not what colour, creed or job they do nowadays, maybe in the past, but people are people as far as im concerned
Old May 16th, 2011, 11:04   #35
gulavelt
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr8pdo View Post
As I said earlier, there are bad apples in all walks of life, ive had some horrible experiences with police and some fair dealings too, last time I was pulled over because my number plate was not spaced out right and the ANPR camera didnt recognise the plate, I was followed and pulled, brake light out too, that time I was dealt with professionally with manners, and was even thanked for stopping, he warned me to get the plate changed within 2 weeks and that was it, off I went, I was also polite answered his questions, job done, no problem.

You cant tar them all with the same brush, the time before I was pulled in Rochdale by 2 in a traffic car, I had my wife and a young baby with me, a car on the back, with the steering lock smashed off, no logbook, it wasnt stolen, i was collecting 3 cars off the same bloke and this was the first, he was gonna dig paperwork out on the next run, well the driver (copper) was a nasty, power crazed bully, the passenger was polite, understanding, I know they play mind games, good cop bad cop, this was one of those instances, he was gonna get my truck towed off because he reckoned I didnt have a licence, told me I was lying etc etc, I had a full Isle0of-Man licence, perfectly legal, insured etc etc, but this ar**wipe had it in for me, when I tried to explain, he spat "dont interupt me" "just listen to ME and you WILL learn" I nearly boiled over but I kept my cool, just to get away from that horrible BASTID!

Just ask yourself, who would you call if your house had been burgled, car been nicked etc, most police are there to genuinly help, but as I say there are a few who give the good ones a bad name, ive been battered by police for resisting arrest, had my head stamped on and jumped on, just for being strong and not letting them cuff me, now thats bang out of order, id of probably prefered a face full of CS gas than that beating

Bang out of order my son, you were merely a strong lad "resisting arrest"( in i presume a peacefull and non violent manner) and some vicious thug in uniform gave i again presume as good as he got..... outrageous,
gulavelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 11:18   #36
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
"As a former RAF officer, I think coppers are just the chaff who weren't good enough to get a Full commission in the Forces so went for the easy option
I think that's very unfair. Let's face it, a lot of Officers, and others, in the forces and general government paid Civil services jobs are there because of Silver Spoon Daddies and who they know rather than what they know.

I KNOW, because my wife's daughter's husband is a Wing Commander in the RAF......and he's told us a thing or two about top brass!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Oilydad For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2011, 11:18   #37
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

I have respect for everybody. Until they prove otherwise!

Last edited by Oilydad; May 16th, 2011 at 13:37.
Oilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 11:37   #38
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Well - -

It seems the Construction and Use Regulations 1986 are not available online save by subscription. Good job that ignorance of the law is no excuse, eh?

I'll access them via lexis-nexis in due course.

Unless there is a specific requirement of disclosure in the policy document then (unless anyone can point to a different standard with reasons) it has long been the law that policies of insurance require material disclosure, that is to say things that a reasonable insurer (now there's a contradiction in terms) might reasonably wish to know as affecting his decision whether to accept the risk and if so on what terms. That (IMHO) would not extend to a pattern exhaust (or other part) rather than an OEM one.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 12:04   #39
stevo48
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
As a former RAF officer, I think coppers are just the chaff who weren't good enough to get a Full commission in the Forces so went for the easy option - even the Military police officers were looked down upon as the unfortunate! It was a prime 're-branch' if you fail your exams etc.. for your chosen branch they let you become a Copper instead as the soft option, as just about anyone could pass the exams and professional course.

When I quit, they asked me if I'd want to be a copper instead and stay doing something 'easier' - I said NO! and made my own way in life.
That is a terrible generalisation, and it comes across as extremely pompous and self righteous!!
Maybe the exams to some recruits are hard to pass but at least then those recruits are offered a chance to do the job they wanted allbeit in civvy street, it does not mean they any less worthy of the job than yourself or anyone else.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stevo48 For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2011, 13:17   #40
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulavelt View Post
Bang out of order my son, you were merely a strong lad "resisting arrest"( in i presume a peacefull and non violent manner) and some vicious thug in uniform gave i again presume as good as he got..... outrageous,
It was, basically I was pulled over, I had been rowing with my girlfriend and driving a bit erratic, he dragged me out the car telling ME I was p*ssed out of my head, big 6ft 4 tall guy just out for a row, then he snatched up my little puppy I had in the passenger seat, I was really wound up and this guy wasnt helping, just adding fuel to the fire, so I just turned around with my back to him and said "I dont need to hear your sh*t" next think SPG turn up, iam face down in the road and just locked my arms by my side, they tried bending my thumbs, knee right in my kidneys, but they were not getting anywhere, next thing I remeber was a white flash then coming around, sitting cross legged on the road with no boots on and blood pouring out the side of my head, I was told later by a witness (neighbour) how the big bully had stamped on my head, repeatedly, when I realised what had happened and I was in custody suite I was going mad at him cause Id put 2 and 2 together and he was grinning in the corner of the fingerprinting room, I did threaten him, and I refused a breath test at the station, I didnt know it was an offence not to not give one, he just said fair enough then slung me in a cell, my thumbs were numb for a month or 2 after that where the cuffs were so tight, 3 year auto ban (2nd drink offence) but I wasnt even drinking!