Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heater Valve replacement - any tips?

Views : 1434

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2006, 14:25   #1
146ken
VOC Member

Default Heater Valve replacement - any tips?

Hi Chaps
I recently acquired my 1991 240 SE with a leaking heater valve. I have now got the replacement valve from Brookhouse ( £22.33 inc VAt, delivery, and two bits of hose), and ready to fit it. I have stripped out and dried the carpets and foam backed underlay*, and located the valve.
It looks a bit awkward to work on given my backs preference for avoiding twists and turns, but otherwise a simple plumbing job. Does the coolant need to be drained off before disconnecting, or will I be able to catch any minor leakage in suitable bucket? Any other tips or warnings would be gratefully received.
Cheers
146ken

*I am tempted to set up an owners club for the Hoover Aquamaster. 16 years old and still cleans/dries up anything I point it at from building rubble to 1/2gallon of engine coolant extracted from 240's carpets.
146ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 14:30   #2
alsner
In Volvo limbo

I had to remove one of these from a 7 series (not sure if same) but you will get leakage inside the car so I would have a container ready. Remove outside hose first.. If it is the same you will need to twist anti-clockwise to remove as the one on the 7 series had lugs that held it firmly!!!! in place. I can only comment on 7 series though so if I'm wrong I apologise.

Ali
I will return to the fold when the time is right.

It's Just a Ride
Bill Hicks
alsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 16:09   #3
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

If you take the glovebox out, you can then get the air trunking out of the way too, it just pulls off the vents and the heater outlets, which does free up quite a bit more space if you haven't already done this.
Don't have a fit at the amount of spagetti wiring in there tho!!!
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 16:41   #4
146ken
VOC Member

Default drain Hole?

Ive been looking all round the radiator and can't see any drain hole. haynes tells me to disconnect the lower hose connection to the rad, being careful to collect fluid and don't splash it around. From what I can see this hose is easy enough to disconnect but I'm blowed if I can see how to get a container in there to collect run off.
It seems to me that with the car facing down a slope the heater is well above most of the engine and rad and therefore I could just drain this rather than the whole system. Does anyone know how much coolant is in the system in total and how much of that is in the heater unit. I don't want to be searching for a larger container half way through.
Basic problems I know, but any help appreciated.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 16:52   #5
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

To get a container under the rad you have to take the bottom shield off underneath, can't remember how many bolts, but one thing to remember is the plastic shield tends to age harden, and a few big 'penny' washers are a good stand-by in case any of the bolt holes crack too much.
I think there should be a drain **** on the right hand side of the block, towards the back, but how turnable this is I wouldn't like to guess, and you still need to get a container under.
You can use 'G' clamps on the hoses either side of the heater matrix, so you would only have to contend with the water in the matrix itself. I don't know how much that would be, but I would think not more than a pint and a half.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 20:18   #6
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

It makes life a lot easier if you take out the passenger seat as a minimum and possibly the driver's seat as well. if you are large like me a makes a lot of difference and only takes a few minutes. Slide seat back and undo the two 13mm nuts in the runners. Slide back remove plastic cover and undo the back od the seat. Tip the back as far forward as possible and it will exit via the door. Refitting is the reverse procedure.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 21:56   #7
jacksonb123

I'm about to do my heater valve also so this is a useful thread for me.

On the radiator draining front though I managed to drain mine by cutting a large orange squash bottle in half & jamming that under the bottom pipe connection.

If I remember correctly it sat on the plastic guard thing that protects the underside of the engine.

When I spoke to CP Motors in Tamworth about fitting the heater valve their guy Colin told me it isn't a hard job, just a bit tricky. Mind you In my case I can guaruntee it will be a half day nightmare of messy carpet and swearing.

Regards

Ben
jacksonb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 09:05   #8
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

It's easiest just to disconnect a heater hose on the engine side of the bulkhead and direct it over a bowl under the car. Open the heater valve, and the pressure cap.
Take the opportunity to check all the hoses carefully, and the state of the metal double connector. Make sure the hose doesn't rub on the dipstick tube.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 09:43   #9
146ken
VOC Member

Default well here goes

Thanks for the advice. I'm just waiting for the latest downpour to pass over then its on with the show.
We can compare notes later Ben.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 10:22   #10
Steam hammer

Thumbs up Heater valve

I know nothing about the heater valve But willing to join the
Aqua Master Club

Nothing sucks like an aqua master sucks

Steam Hammer
Steam hammer is offline   Reply With Quote