Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Center (waterfall) console

Views : 1596

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2020, 17:09   #1
Philbc

Default Center (waterfall) console

Hi,
I have a 2007, V-50 (now with just 61,000 miles) and a couple of the buttons in the centre console have stopped showing the white light behind the symbol(s). The function still remains (including an orange light to show "on") but at night I can't see where the button is.
I have enquired at Volvo and apparently bulbs (if that's what they are) are not replaceable …. just a new module at £704 + labour !!!
Whilst this is obviously prohibitive, I'm all in favour of a DIY fix if possible:
1). Has anyone ever carried this out successfully ?
2). Does anyone have a detailed photo showing the front of the module ?
3). Any advice, hints or tips gratefully received !
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 17:23   #2
ripstandem

At least a dozen on eBay, switch unit can be removed from console.
Pretty sure it is a straight swap.
ripstandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 21:53   #3
Philbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripstandem View Post
At least a dozen on eBay, switch unit can be removed from console.
Pretty sure it is a straight swap.
The man at Volvo warned me that "buying a used module will still need pairing by computer with my car by a Volvo dealer or it won't work" .... is that true or is it BS ?
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 22:28   #4
ripstandem

Sorry I don't know if true or B.S..
At the price of a used unit I think I would give it a go and see what would happen at several hundred pounds I would put up with a light out rather than pay the dealers.
A tough call to make, a light out like that would torment me.
ripstandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 23:51   #5
FracturedButWhole

Hi there,

I have a spare unit somewhere in the garage. You can have it, if you want, at the cost of P&P? You can try it and test before forking out some real cash. Let me know if you want it. Cheers.
FracturedButWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FracturedButWhole For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 07:53   #6
Philbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripstandem View Post
Sorry I don't know if true or B.S..
At the price of a used unit I think I would give it a go and see what would happen at several hundred pounds I would put up with a light out rather than pay the dealers.
A tough call to make, a light out like that would torment me.
As with you (and whilst I rarely go out at night) I find a light out really annoying but I'm obviously not going to fork out telephone numbers to rectify it. Even at £30 - £50 for a used unit I will have to think twice (especially if I would still have to pay dealer prices to get it programmed to work).

Looking back to my teenage years, a fault such as this was purely a matter of spending less than a pound to change the bulb - the world has gone mad !
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 08:02   #7
Philbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FracturedButWhole View Post
Hi there,

I have a spare unit somewhere in the garage. You can have it, if you want, at the cost of P&P? You can try it and test before forking out some real cash. Let me know if you want it. Cheers.
That's a nice offer, thank you (a man after my own heart) and worth following up. I know it's a minor niggling fault but I refuse to believe that it can't be fixed with a soldering iron and a little time.

Old Mar 12th, 2020, 11:39   #8
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Fairly sure they aren't paired. Just bear in mind there are different ones depending on spec and features, eg some won't have buttons for heated seats, phone etc.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 09:04   #9
Philbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
Fairly sure they aren't paired. Just bear in mind there are different ones depending on spec and features, eg some won't have buttons for heated seats, phone etc.
As in this case, the spare module is without the heated seat buttons so it's going to be a case of dissecting the spare module and transplanting the LEDs into mine.
Quietly confident that this can be done.
Old Mar 15th, 2020, 08:08   #10
iainmd

I'm pretty sure the centre console unit isn't coded to the car (rare for Volvo) so a second hand unit can be bought (from same vintage with same spec) and just plugged in.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v50 electrics, waterfall console