Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

looking for 1800es

Views : 856

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2010, 20:59   #1

Smile looking for 1800es

hi
looking for a volvo 1800es in fairley good condition.
How much are they going for? i live in the north east

Many Thanks chris
1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 21:36   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

Default 1800es

Hi and welcome.

Depends what you mean by fairly good.

£6000 should buy you a rust-free car in excellent all round condition. Some cars are advertised at £10,000 plus, but this is getting silly.

£300 will buy you a heap of brown dust!

Be warned that these cars have complex bodyshells that are prohibitively expensive to fix. And they can rust - mostly in places where you can't get to see until you strip out the interior. Interior trim parts are very hard to source.

On the plus side the engines and gearboxes are nigh-on indestructable, although the fuel injection system can be a total nightmare. It's the very early Bosch D-Jet. Most D-Jet parts are pretty much unavailable, and the set-up depends on 40-year-old electronics to make it work smoothly.

A manual gearbox suits the car better than an auto.

Having said I did own an 1800ES, and loved it. I was lucky with mine because the bodywork was excellent, but be warned unless you find one with no significant rust then you're heading for an expensive time.

Having said all that they are fabulous cars - head turners wherever you go - guaranteed!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 22:31   #3

Default still looking

Hi
Thanks for the info there is one on classic car web site i think it is too much they want £8995 and it has 60.000 around there its an auto any clues to find one.

Many Thanks Chris
1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 12:53   #4
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
Hi
Thanks for the info there is one on classic car web site i think it is too much they want £8995 and it has 60.000 around there its an auto any clues to find one.

Many Thanks Chris
It depends. A good ES is the sort of car that's worth whatever you want to pay. I guess one guiding principle is what would the car be worth if you tried to sell it tomorrow?

The Practical Classics guide price can be useful, which is I think £8000 for a Condition 1 1800ES. This means that it is in excellent all round order, with no defects, capable of passing an MoT and daily use. Not quite concours but not far off. Being an auto reduces that figure. I doubt that in reality there will be many ES cars around that truly meet that criteria.

If you're in the market for an ES the chances are that anything you look at will have been repaired at some time. You need to know it's been done properly. Mileage is almost irrelevant. 60k on a 40-ish year old B20E engine is not really too much to worry about, but you'll almost certainly find it will suffer from low use syndrome, and will spring leaks from seals - rear crank being a prime example. Also, you may find that the gearbox cooler will leak - and if water gets into the autobox you're in big trouble. All that said, all the oily bits from an ES are pretty much standard for all 140 and 145 cars of the same period, so even if the D-Jet fuel injection dies you can always convert to twin-carbs.

Many ESs are quite low mileage because actually they are not very practical, and often were not used much by their original owners.

If you're looking for a handsome and unusual classic car, that you'll drive only on special occasions, then the ES is a good choice. The key is getting one with totally sound bodywork. £9,000 is probably a bit much, but perhaps £6000 - £7000 would be reasonable for something really special.

Good luck

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote