Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A different kind of perfomance mod

Views : 3016

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 11:48   #1
a15htn

Default A different kind of perfomance mod

Well I've finally found a performance mod that's yet to be discussed !!!

This was helped by the fact that the inside of my car reminds me of an Ikea livingroom setting...... the TV & DVD player is on order!

Anyone had any experience of portable DVD players ? How jumpy are they in super stiff cars ?? Are there any good ways round this ?? Anyone any suggestions where I might find a mounting bracket to mount the 5.5" screen facing back around the centre armrest / handbrake area (and still be removeable) - so the kids can see it !

Noiseboy.... I need some advice on cable type for the signals.... would CCTV suff be good enough ? Where can I get it cheap as I'm going to need LOADS !!! At high street prices I'll go banckrupt.
Also If It is to be fully removable some kind of 6pin plug/sockets will be needed.... recommendations????

:) Ahhhh, a good car chase film on in the back and a good car chase going on outside lol !!!!!!!

Jim,
'96 855-R (The Flying Wardrobe)
Old Jun 18th, 2002, 15:45   #2
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

Default RE: A different kind of perfomance mod

jim

have a quick look on at www.mp3car.com , there are a few gezza'a on there who have flat screen dvd's powered by a pc in the boot, might give you an idea

and stop kerbing those alloys :P

cheers

scott
GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2002, 21:53   #3
a15htn

Cheers Scott, I have a nosey !

I know.... the alloys were all shafted when I bought the car - hence it got bought for a lot less than book :) And one day..... when I stop improving on those scrapes (IE Parking slower and looking quicker) I'll have them refurbed & painted satin black I reckon }>

Jim,
Old Jun 18th, 2002, 23:39   #4
noiseboy
VOC Member

What cable do you need from my warehouse then??

Phil ;-)
www.t5r.org
noiseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2002, 01:08   #5
a15htn

Phil,

Nice offer mate but this little theory may test friendship alittle tooooo far (PS volunteering can be hazardous to your health !!! )http://www.usa.venus.co.uk/weed/agif...2/smileani.gif

The theory is looking like this: http://www.usa.venus.co.uk/weed/agif...72/1aco012.gif

A loom containing:
Power 12v (1amp ish i guess) to centre console & boot - switched from driver seat.
Vid signal from boot to centre console
Audio feed from boot to centre console
Audio (H/phone) signals from centre console x2 to rear door pillars
and for good measure feed a duplicate of the signals & power into the passsenger footwell so it can be re-sited for front passengers.......
All nicely 'connectable' at all ends with flush mount DIN type plugs or similar (For childproofness ! )

Screen Mounting:
On the backend of the armrest between the front seats (out of the small peoples foot range) so will need to devise a mounting 'strap' to clip on the armrest lid that'll come off with the screen. For the front passenger it could just be left on the open glovebox lid !

Now if your still feeling friendly..... when d'you fancy loading your car up and I'l arrange B&B and food for two http://usa.venus.co.uk/weed/agifs/images72/caveman.gif

PS all of this would have to be duplicated to fit in a certain Celica Convertible too

Phil?....... PHIL?????? Come back http://usa.venus.co.uk/weed/agifs/images72/runman02.gif http://usa.venus.co.uk/weed/agifs/images72/runman02.gif I didn't mean it......much http://usa.venus.co.uk/weed/agifs/images72/smallsmi.gif

Jim,
'96 855-R (The TV Shop )
Old Jun 19th, 2002, 12:34   #6
gareth

You can fit teh screens in the head rests.

I know a man who can perfectly stich them into the factory head rests. It could even me modified to be removable ones. This may take a bit more time and money though becuase my old S70's where ont removable..

It's the best place to put them for vision and to stop people fiddling.

The altertative is to have a roof mouted TV. You can fix this in the front (If you dont have a sunroof) or what other people do is fit behind the sunroof and add a second mirror in the back. Therefore when you look into your rear view mirror can too can also watch it. (When in traffic of course)...

G
Old Jun 20th, 2002, 21:22   #7
brainsaw

You can get the M-station things that have wireless widescreen little screens.... Does your LCD not come with a bracket?... not sure how you could mount it... but Velcro on a removeable perspex bracket springs to mind.... The one I have came with bracket and removeable plug... I have mounted mine to the left of the head unit... but if I have big people in the passenger side it tends to get in the way (and it can't be seen in the rear too well.)

[Link:www.n-wise.com/campics/2002-06-07/DCP_0530.jpg"|Pic 1] (I have improved the CCTV location now)
[Link:www.n-wise.com/campics/2002-06-07/|Other Pics]

Try maplin for cable
[Link:www.maplin.co.uk/products/details.php?CartID=020620220320144933&moduleno=120 &manufacturer=&modulecode=|This stuff might do]
... Which is also where i got the cold cathodes!

My head unit only does VCD instead of DVD (may get the latop to do that soon!) but it plays those better over the bumps than standard CDs

Remove as many earths asd you can... To remove the earth hum I have no earthing on any of my signal wires (still using screen cable tho) ... and everything else is wired after the supressors... Took a few wiring trials to get it best... but then again... if you ain't got an amp you'll probly find little problems

Which one you order anyway?

Andy.
Old Jun 21st, 2002, 00:19   #8
a15htn

The setup with a built in screen scares me as it would be a little to mobile for the kids kicking it off the seat in the back I think...... and a lot dearer than the current plan !

As for my screen it did not have a bracket....no comment

The plan is this: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/Dscf0005.jpg

With the player in the boot, the player in quetsion is by Nextbase and is only about £130 !

Putting the screen in the front is quite simple.... in the lap of the passenger ! or maybe velcro on the inside of the glovebox lid

Jim,
Old Jun 21st, 2002, 00:57   #9
brainsaw

OOOh... cream leather... nice... but you have to be extra neat with ICE installing!.. i have standard police spec interior so a misshaped bracket don't look 3 out of place!

is that a dvd that fits in the place of a standard head unit or a seperate box?
.. i was thinking of getting this as an additional box to mine http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=1891&
(made by the same peeps who make my current system)
but might as well just get a DVD for the laptop and use that... can use winamp then as it's better for MP3!

Andy.
Old Jun 24th, 2002, 01:02   #10
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Is this a general offer...?

Well....I guess I'll take 100m of Van Damme 48 pair multicore please :) (everyone except Phil wonders what the heck I'm talking about, while Phil himself prepares to give me a kick in the back side)

In all seriousness, Jim is worried about this being too much cable...as many of you know I am in (vaguely) the same business as Phil (albeit at a much lower level!), and we have a pair of lighting multicores that would fill the boot of an 850. So I'm sure he can spare you 5m of 75ohm Coax, which incidentally is what you (ideally) need for your video signal, as it has the best noise rejection, and I dont need to tell you what an electrically noisy place a car interior is :)

As Gareth rightly says, the headrests are the traditional (and very smart) location for dual rear screen systems, but I agree that they are a little daunting from the point of view of cutting up your car, and dont really work in single screen systems. The best I can suggest if this is going to be a rarely-used 'toy' for holidays, etc, is an arm which clamps onto one of the head restraint supports, and puts the display at roughly that height, but centrally. If this seems a bit spindly, you could fit it to the armrest / ashtray lexus style...but goodness knows how without actually looking at it.

Scott - interesting to see that you have found mp3car.com, as I have a friend who frequents that fine establishment! I still don't believe that he will ever finish his system....but never mind! Small world innit?

feel free to take all of this with a hefty pinch of salt, as its really quite late, and I am still recovering from out 6th form 'booze cruise' on friday. not through excessive alcohol consumption I hasten to add...oh no! Up and down the river Dart being pestered to play anything by abba, whilst the crew of the boat threatened to throw ~£5k of PA and lighting gear into the river when I couldnt get packed up in 2 mins. I bet Phil doesnt have this kind of trouble from those classical music fans...!?

cheers

james

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote