Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Touring with a Volvo.

Views : 950

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2012, 19:36   #1
jackd

Talking Touring with a Volvo.

Has anybody noticed the phenomenal difference in fuel economy that a warm engine delivers when compared to a cold one? I always knew there was a difference - but not on the scale that I measured today. Ordinarily I fill £25.00 of petrol (18.6L at today's absurd prices) and that would usually get me about 60 miles of motoring. Today I had the opportunity to make a 400 mile round trip. I followed my usual filling routine and was expecting to get maybe an extra 30 miles from my 18.6L. Turns out I got 160 miles. An additional 100 miles! I thought perhaps I had not done my calculations correctly and repeated the procedure twice again on the trip.

I always assumed the trip meter would read a tad optimistic but from what I have discovered today it needs an ego boost! It's being far too modest! I achieved a colossal 38.9MPG consistently over the whole trip. To put this in perspective I ordinarily achieve 13-15MPG on my short trips around hilly bath in this cold weather. I do drive with a gentle right foot but because the car is constantly on it's warm up cycle it makes little difference.

Fuel economy aside, perhaps it is my imagination but I feel as though my car is running a little better from getting a good rake up the motorway at high speeds. Smoother engine, gearbox shifting nicely and getting rid of all that damn water that builds up in the exhaust from short journeys. You would think my car was steam powered on a normal week with the amount of condensation I get from the exhaust.

I would love to know everybody else's experiences with regards to weather you notice a difference in your cars performance, economy or any issues that resolve or become apparent on a long run. I think these big Volvo's were really made for the longer journeys and I saw the character of mine show through a lot better today.

I plan on taking her on a 5000 mile round trip in Europe over the summer and this has made me look forward to it all the more.

Jack.

Last edited by jackd; Feb 16th, 2012 at 19:38. Reason: Typing error.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jackd For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 20:45   #2
Norwegian

Jup, I have the same experience (2.0LT, 175 PS).

On 50/50 mixed short trips/long haul I have 1,15-1,2 liter per 10 km (about 24 MPG). Short trips only (but engine heater and easy on the pedal) gives 1,35 /10 km (20ish MPG). Long trips sees me well under 1 l/10 km, maybe even 35 MPG.

This is on a 240 000 km engine in dire need of a stage 0, a PCV cleanup and an oil change, all of which it will get in two weeks time. I do hope to push towards 40 MPG come summer and no studded tires.

All values above from actual km recorded between full tanks, as I don't have a board computer.
Norwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Norwegian For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 00:08   #3
silestanix
Returning Member!

I've had the same thing Jack; I usually use the A406 - A40 - A312 - M4 to get to my workplace at Heathrow, so just 50mph roads really, with stop-starting in between; 2 days ago I had to use the M25 to get to work due to an accident on the A406...and I noticed that going home via my usual route having gone To work on the Motorway, the car shifted smoother and felt a Lot more responsive...

Project thread - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=330004 Closed - Sold.
silestanix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silestanix For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 10:34   #4
Steve1564

... A-Haa... The old Italian tune up!
Steve1564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 18:45   #5
jackd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1564 View Post
... A-Haa... The old Italian tune up!
The best kind. A good friend of mine is a trade driver for VW and he gives everything he gets in a really good Italian tune up! Anybody looking a tune, give me a shout. I can do a good deal on the Italian variety this month.

Old Feb 17th, 2012, 18:55   #6
mikealder
VOC Member

One thing to bear in mind though is when looking at the distance to go on the trip computer, following a long Motorway cruise the indicated figure will be quite high, switch to around town stop/ start combined with hills and this figure will plummet.
I have seen figures of 50 or 60 DTG at the end of a long trip, following morning driving the 10 miles to work can see this figure drop to 30 DTG within a few miles (DTG = Distance To Go to empty) - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 19:18   #7
jackd

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
One thing to bear in mind though is when looking at the distance to go on the trip computer, following a long Motorway cruise the indicated figure will be quite high, switch to around town stop/ start combined with hills and this figure will plummet.
I have seen figures of 50 or 60 DTG at the end of a long trip, following morning driving the 10 miles to work can see this figure drop to 30 DTG within a few miles (DTG = Distance To Go to empty) - Mike

Yeah I wouldn't trust the Trip computer at all. I do all my own calculations pen and paper. The DTG calculates using an average MPG from recent miles covered. Think it's 5 or maybe 15. Hence if your driving conditions change it's calculations will be perverted.

Tags
fuel consumption, fuel economy, gearbox