Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Improving Fuel Economy

Views : 764

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2016, 11:18   #1
anotherv60
Master Member

Default Improving Fuel Economy

Hi All,

My V60 D2 is getting 54.3 MPG according to the trip computer, having started to log the fuel and milage use it actually is a bit higher than that at around 60 MPG (822miles on 62.2 L, 695 on 51.3 L & 804 on 61.5 L).

I'm actually pleased with the MPG although it is still lower than the NEDC claimed fuel economy.

The confusing thing is that when I fill the car the range indicator is always around 925 miles - anyone actually achieved this kind of range in normal driving (i.e. not a long motorway run at road work speeds).

Any Volvo tips on how to improve it beyond the obvious, minimise weight, high gear asap would be greatly appreciated. Ill keep you posted if I can improve the range and any comments on the above welcome.

thanks,

AnotherV60
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2355.jpg (223.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2356.jpg (174.9 KB, 9 views)
anotherv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 11:48   #2
Harvey1512
Premier Member

No one ever gets the advised economy so stop worrying about that. Frankly you are playing a blinder as it is. Sit back, enjoy it. Not many will be topping your figures.

The range figures are often a bit odd. They are computer estimates and change constantly. Don't get hung up about that figure.

To get more you could look at the eco tyre pressure settings, drive like a nun etc but from those figures I would guess you are already driving in a very economic way. Pat yourself on the back, be happy 🙌
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 11:53   #3
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
No one ever gets the advised economy so stop worrying about that. Frankly you are playing a blinder as it is. Sit back, enjoy it. Not many will be topping your figures.

The range figures are often a bit odd. They are computer estimates and change constantly. Don't get hung up about that figure.

To get more you could look at the eco tyre pressure settings, drive like a nun etc but from those figures I would guess you are already driving in a very economic way. Pat yourself on the back, be happy 🙌
This. Carry on, bank the savings, don't get obsessed, don't fiddle with tyres, you're doing great as it is.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 12:53   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post

They do actually , the government figures are only for comparing one make/model against another of course but i have seen several Driv e V50 averaging 70+ mpg on the fuel computer and a couple of V60 hybrids 130 + mpg ..
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 13:32   #5
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
They do actually , the government figures are only for comparing one make/model against another of course but i have seen several Driv e V50 averaging 70+ mpg on the fuel computer and a couple of V60 hybrids 130 + mpg ..
I always beat the S60's combined official by some margin, too. ee them were the days.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 17:32   #6
andyredz
andyredz - c30 r design

Quite a few of us use fuelly.com which is regarded as a bit more accurate than the in-car systems for measuring mpg. I find it interesting for the statistics it provides...
andyredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 17:55   #7
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherv60 View Post
Hi All,

My V60 D2 is getting 54.3 MPG according to the trip computer, having started to log the fuel and milage use it actually is a bit higher than that at around 60 MPG (822miles on 62.2 L, 695 on 51.3 L & 804 on 61.5 L).

I'm actually pleased with the MPG although it is still lower than the NEDC claimed fuel economy.
The confusing thing is that when I fill the car the range indicator is always around 925 miles - anyone actually achieved this kind of range in normal driving (i.e. not a long motorway run at road work speeds).

Any Volvo tips on how to improve it beyond the obvious, minimise weight, high gear asap would be greatly appreciated. Ill keep you posted if I can improve the range and any comments on the above welcome.

thanks,

AnotherV60
Keep breaking to a minimum during the journey, braking loses money as well as momentum.
Keep oil and filters really clean.
Windows shut air con off, what fun.
Tyre pressures at highest recommended pressures.
I find cruise control on motorways is better on fuel consumption.
Gentle acceleration.
Lower top speed.
Or, just nail it and enjoy!

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 18:51   #8
Jebus
VOC Member

The best tips for driving in general will also usually give you improved MPG,

First of all the car.

Keep it well maintained, keep the tyre pressures to the proper level, get the wheel alignment checked and set correctly, use good quality tyres, don't idle the car to let it warm up, keep the windows up and let the climate control take care of keeping the temp inside the car to the level you want and leave the A/C on, the impact it has on the fuel consumption, is minor keeps the system working and most importantly makes the environment inside the car nicer(adds onto later points)

How you drive

Look further ahead and plan the moves you are going to make better, see the lights changed let off the gas, and let the car slowly roll down to a stop if you can, changing down gears so that you are in the right gear to set off again.

Of course don't take the micky with it, its all about a few little steps that add up.

Stop things like crawling in stationary traffic, if you have stopped wait till you can actually continue, not just gain a few extra feet.

Pick the right gear, not always the highest gear you don't want to load the engine keep it in the gear that keeps the revs and the throttle opening low. Much better to let the engine rev a little sometimes.

Every now and again give the car a proper Italian tune up, use all the revs and generally thrash it it will help keep everything running more smoothly then never going over 1/2 max revs etc

You should also make sure that the driving position is nice and comfortable for you, you will be more relaxed, so inputs etc will all be smoother and will help with the mpg a tad.

Advertised fuel figures are for the most part not obtainable since the car that set them, was sat on a dyno in a lab, being driven by a computer over a very specific set of tests, its how the whole "dieselgate" thing happened, as the official emissions tests are done in a similar way and they were able to program the cars to recognise this and adjust the emissions in a way that would not happen in the usual day to day driving.
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel economy, v60