Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dash cam approved option for new Volvo?

Views : 30370

Replies : 118

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 29th, 2020, 20:23   #91
josel001

Default Dashcam reccomendations for 2020 volvo xc90

Hi all, I recently purchased a 2020 (70 reg) Volvo XC90 T8 r-design pro. I wanted to fit a dashcam onto the car as the dealership had said they will do it themselves. However, now they are saying that they won't fit now as having a dashcam interferes with the intellisafe and other safety systems. However, I asked some other friends who had dashcams in their new Volvos and they said its not much of a problem but I am not 100% sure. I recently booked a dashcam fit with Halfords but now they are also saying that it is more difficult to fit a dashcam onto a hybrid car as it could negatively affect the fuse and other technologies. The dealership recommended getting a dashcam without GPS. Does anyone know any good dashcams suitable for this or any people who could fit it on properly without any issues. Many Thanks
josel001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2020, 21:24   #92
Boatie
Master Member

I have a Thinkware F770 front & rear dashcam fitted to my V90 R Design. The same camera was fitted to my previous V90. (I removed it when the dealer said they would remove it as they were not permitted to sell a used car with one fitted) I have had zero issues on either car. It does have GPS. The camera fits onto a mounting plate stuck onto the screen with a 3M sticky. This pad is positioned 55mm to the left of the Intellisafe unit and 70mm down from the top of the screen. I know the measurements precisely as I took the camera off today, the car goes in for a new windscreen tomorrow.

Last edited by Boatie; Nov 29th, 2020 at 21:32.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 03:35   #93
destone

The challenge is balancing the "needs" of the Intellisafe unit vs. the UK law.

Given https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...7&d=1482489757 it is recommended that the dashcam is placed similarly as shown here https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post5739233 -- however, bear in mind https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/hub/w...t-my-dash-cam/
destone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 11:12   #94
JamesN7

Quote:
Originally Posted by josel001 View Post
I recently booked a dashcam fit with Halfords but now they are also saying that it is more difficult to fit a dashcam onto a hybrid car as it could negatively affect the fuse and other technologies.
I think that speaks volumes about how much trust you can place in Halford doing it. They might as well have said "We're not sure about doing it because the magic hybrid pixies might escape"

Quote:
The dealership recommended getting a dashcam without GPS.
That's nearly as bad. GPS receivers don't transmit signals (well, not GPS ones). The issue here is a wider question of EMC (Electromagnetic compatibility). All digital electronics emits a certain level of RF noise, which can in theory interfere with the ADAS systems. Same sort of thing as not using electronic devices on an airplane. Not placing a dashcam near the windscreen sensor pod reduces the risk of a problem (similar to turning devices off during take-off and landing...)

Seems like a reasonable precaution, if for no other reason than it might be an excuse for your insurance to not pay out...

J
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 10:07   #95
tsunamie

Quote:
Hi all, I recently purchased a 2020 (70 reg) Volvo XC90 T8 r-design pro. I wanted to fit a dashcam onto the car as the dealership had said they will do it themselves. However, now they are saying that they won't fit now as having a dashcam interferes with the intellisafe and other safety systems. However, I asked some other friends who had dashcams in their new Volvos and they said its not much of a problem but I am not 100% sure. I recently booked a dashcam fit with Halfords but now they are also saying that it is more difficult to fit a dashcam onto a hybrid car as it could negatively affect the fuse and other technologies. The dealership recommended getting a dashcam without GPS. Does anyone know any good dashcams suitable for this or any people who could fit it on properly without any issues. Many Thanks

I am in the same position. Is there really no official solution to this? I want a dashcam for insurance reasons. seems silly you can wire it into any of the cars 12v solutions.
tsunamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 11:52   #96
DG97

I have a Thinkware F770 2 channel set up in my 2019 S60. It is hardwired and does have GPS. I haven't had a single problem with Intellisafe etc since this was done and it has been on for 2-3 months now.

I think if a dealer is hesitant to have a go, finding a reputable auto electronics workshop is the way to go.
DG97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 12:45   #97
amadan

My last two cars have both had dashcams fitted by the supplying dealer (both cars were new).

BMW want to fit their BMW advanced car eye which wasn’t great but did the job (there’s a new version now which might be better).

The Volvo dealer I used told me that Volvo recommends Roadhawk (from memory) but they didn’t recommend it as it was, in the dealers opinion, not a brilliant camera and too large for the windscreen. They were happy to fit the camera I supplied (VIOFO a129 pro duo) with a hardwire kit.

The one thing that might be putting dealers off is that both times I’ve had cameras fitted the amount of time the sales guys have estimated has been well below the time they’ve apparently taken to fit (especially worrying with bmw as there was technical instructions from BMW).

As others have said - if your dealer isn’t playing ball try another or get an auto electrician.

I like the idea of factory fitted camera ala-tesla etc but not sure I’d want my insurance to know about it. I don’t declare my dashcam for the same reason I don’t declare my house alarm - if I forget to turn it on or it breaks it’s a brilliant get out attempt for insurance.
amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 13:15   #98
jotka

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadan View Post
As others have said - if your dealer isn’t playing ball try another or get an auto electrician.
they are not playing ball for a reason. If there's a serious crash because of the Intelllisense failure or inteference, who do you think will be asked about the dashcam?
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 13:20   #99
destone

On our XC90 we have a setup similar to this: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post5739233

It doesn’t interfere with Intellisafe and is UK compliant (40 mm-rule).
destone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 15:43   #100
Dannydude

Default Nextbase 522GW

If you are on a budget but still want a good quality dashcam, have a look at Nextbase 522GW with a rear view cameras, or a rear view cabin camera. You can find these at Halfords. I fitted one to my 2012 XC60 and happy for having done so.

Nextbase products have improved massively and their latest range and a viable option to the higher end dashcams.

Just remember that in some EU countries you can be heavily fined for having it fitted to your car, or how you use the recordings (forbidden for use on social media). Something to do with infringing upon another persons privacy in a public place. I know, go figure?
Dannydude is offline   Reply With Quote