Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Joy Of 240's, with issues...

Views : 57098

Replies : 272

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2020, 15:20   #201
CosmicBike

Been busy with house building, so Grace has been on the back burner for a few weeks. Finally got the drivers door trim sorted, so just some trim clips and that finished one side.
I've been debating a wheel change from the standard 14" Tors wheels. They currently have 175/65/14 tyres so the speedo is a mile off, and getting 80 profile tyres in a branded, non-van tyre is not so simple. I picked up a set of Draco wheels today, so a decent run for Grace of 130 miles round trip of mostly motorway. All the tyres are way too old to use, so having had a mooch I think a set of 195/65/15 will set the speedo about right. All in good time, for now, like most of the other bits, they will have to wait. Apparently having a kitchen is more important....
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2020, 18:34   #202
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBike View Post
Been busy with house building, so Grace has been on the back burner for a few weeks. Finally got the drivers door trim sorted, so just some trim clips and that finished one side.
I've been debating a wheel change from the standard 14" Tors wheels. They currently have 175/65/14 tyres so the speedo is a mile off, and getting 80 profile tyres in a branded, non-van tyre is not so simple. I picked up a set of Draco wheels today, so a decent run for Grace of 130 miles round trip of mostly motorway. All the tyres are way too old to use, so having had a mooch I think a set of 195/65/15 will set the speedo about right. All in good time, for now, like most of the other bits, they will have to wait. Apparently having a kitchen is more important....
The 15” wheels would be a really good idea - there is a really good choice of 195/65R15 tyres, I bought a complete set for the RB for £150 fitted.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 19:35   #203
CosmicBike

Still done nothing to Grace, but she's earning her keep. This afternoon I took the dog guard out, and the back seat. Picked up a 2m long sofabed, went in with the boot shut which I was quite pleased about. I'll admit I was few clicks further forward on the drivers seat but a short trip so no issues with that.
I think she's going on a car swap with my younger brother soon, he has nearly finished a house refurb so needs a big wagon for dump runs, he'd better look after her! I'll take the positive that I get a Peugeot 306 GTi6 to play with for a week :-)
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 23:15   #204
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Still done nothing to Grace, but she's earning her keep. This afternoon I took the dog guard out, and the back seat. Picked up a 2m long sofabed, went in with the boot shut which I was quite pleased about. I'll admit I was few clicks further forward on the drivers seat but a short trip so no issues with that.
I think she's going on a car swap with my younger brother soon, he has nearly finished a house refurb so needs a big wagon for dump runs, he'd better look after her! I'll take the positive that I get a Peugeot 306 GTi6 to play with for a week :-)

An excellent reason to own a saloon instead of an estate ....

My mistake was to acquire a driving licence. One still remembers my non-driving brother inviting me to hire a van and drive for his house move. Access involved a long high fire escape. His promised mates to shift heavy items were notable by their absence.

Then there was his move when a piano needed tzo be got out of an upstairs flat ... he had one mate that time.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2020, 16:38   #205
CosmicBike

Yesterday saw a 3 seater sofa on the roof and matching pair of armchairs in the back, helping with little brothers slow move into his first house. Rather annoyingly the plastic handle that releases the rear seat to fold has snapped, I guess 27 year old plastic won't last forever. A funny part really, and not one I'm likely to find, so I think a repair job in due course.
I did, finally, this afternoon get around to fitting the drivers door trim, along with fitting new clips to the same on the passenger side, so Grace looks better now.
The issue with the rear number plate lamps has also been resolved. The retaining metal clip on each was so far out of shape that it wasn't obvious that it served as a clip and lamp holder. 10 minutes with pliers and they're sorted.
Done just over 2000 miles in her since I collected on 4th January this year, and can't fault her. Some minor running issues from day one which have been resolved, and she's now my daily driver. SWMBO advised I will be keeping her, even after the new van comes in March, since decorating things won't be allowed in the new camper. Can't say I'm disappointed.
Old Dec 6th, 2020, 06:33   #206
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Yesterday saw a 3 seater sofa on the roof and matching pair of armchairs in the back, helping with little brothers slow move into his first house. Rather annoyingly the plastic handle that releases the rear seat to fold has snapped, I guess 27 year old plastic won't last forever. A funny part really, and not one I'm likely to find, so I think a repair job in due course.
I did, finally, this afternoon get around to fitting the drivers door trim, along with fitting new clips to the same on the passenger side, so Grace looks better now.
The issue with the rear number plate lamps has also been resolved. The retaining metal clip on each was so far out of shape that it wasn't obvious that it served as a clip and lamp holder. 10 minutes with pliers and they're sorted.
Done just over 2000 miles in her since I collected on 4th January this year, and can't fault her. Some minor running issues from day one which have been resolved, and she's now my daily driver. SWMBO advised I will be keeping her, even after the new van comes in March, since decorating things won't be allowed in the new camper. Can't say I'm disappointed.
Wonderful.
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 21:51   #207
CosmicBike

Rear seat base removed today, and a look at the release catch. Found a new one on ebay, but at £25 I figured I'd have a go at fixing the old one.
An hour later, the old plastic one glued back together, with a metal angle bracket to reinforce and M5 bolt through to hold it to the operating mechanism.
Works OK on the bench, time will tell when I get it back in the car later in the week...
Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 17:26   #208
CosmicBike

Toys. Out. Pram...

On a positive note, the rear seat release repair worked perfectly.

On the downside, the rear wiper has stopped working, unless the tailgate is open, which is really helpful. Having played with tailgate open and closed it's the wiring again, I guess the crap I found in the garage isn't flexible enough, so I'll grab some silicone wire and do it again, though I may well bring the cabling out of the hinges this time.
Old Dec 23rd, 2020, 19:56   #209
CosmicBike

Quote:
Toys. Out. Pram...

On a positive note, the rear seat release repair worked perfectly.

On the downside, the rear wiper has stopped working, unless the tailgate is open, which is really helpful. Having played with tailgate open and closed it's the wiring again, I guess the crap I found in the garage isn't flexible enough, so I'll grab some silicone wire and do it again, though I may well bring the cabling out of the hinges this time.
Since it was raining, I took shelter under the open tailgate and repaired the wiring, running it externally this time, out through the same grommet as the rear wash tube and into the hole by the hinges.
Working wiper, happy bunny.

One day I'll get some time on the Capri.....
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 05:38   #210
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Since it was raining, I took shelter under the open tailgate and repaired the wiring, running it externally this time, out through the same grommet as the rear wash tube and into the hole by the hinges.
Working wiper, happy bunny.

One day I'll get some time on the Capri.....
Well done. I find with Volvo wiring the best thing to do it replace the wire once it starts playing up, it was pretty poor quality back in the 80s (you may remember the engine compartment wiring loom I made for the RB?).

The Capri Laser? How is that coming along?

Alan