Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parking brake help

Views : 901

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2020, 15:51   #1
moony123

Default Parking brake help

My 55 plate 2.4 163bhp XC90 failed its mot on a few jobs including the parking brake. I have done all of the other jobs but am struggling with the parking brake. I stripped it back and the on both wheels one of the parts where the retaining springs attach has come away so the brakes will not hold their position so the new shoes catch when driving and have very little grip at all. The old shoes where not even attached anymore. Is it a new backing plate I am looking for or something else before I concede and send it for spares repairs.
moony123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 16:02   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moony123 View Post
My 55 plate 2.4 163bhp XC90 failed its mot on a few jobs including the parking brake. I have done all of the other jobs but am struggling with the parking brake. I stripped it back and the on both wheels one of the parts where the retaining springs attach has come away so the brakes will not hold their position so the new shoes catch when driving and have very little grip at all. The old shoes where not even attached anymore. Is it a new backing plate I am looking for or something else before I concede and send it for spares repairs.
yes a new baking plate is the ideal answer unless you are handy at making up a suitable spring retaining shape to weld on .. you must get the spring retainers off before removing the shoes .
Use VOLVO shoes , the poor quality ones wont hold very well also new discs and make sure the expanders are free which the cable attaches to through the backplate . bed them in for a while by gently applying the brake at 30 mph for 30 yards or so release to cool down do it a few times ..readjust and see how it is it should hold on the 2nd click when all is properly adjusted and good .
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 18:22   #3
paddy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
[...]
it should hold on the 2nd click when all is properly adjusted and good .
That must be new, VIDA says four or five clicks, but IIRC there was a bulletin that stated six or seven would be better (to avoid these falling apart shoes).
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 22:06   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy74 View Post
That must be new, VIDA says four or five clicks, but IIRC there was a bulletin that stated six or seven would be better (to avoid these falling apart shoes).
All the xc90 parking brakes i have overhauled have stopped nicely on the 2nd or 3rd click when adjusted up and bedded in . so why would you want less reserve travel which the lever must have to pass MOT.
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 02:19   #5
paddy74

I don't want to, VIDA says it and that's why I'm asking.

As I said, I do remember something because of the falling apart of the brake shoes/pads. Something that more space between the pads and the disc would be better heatwise.

But that was more ten years ago, and my memory isn't that good any more...
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 10:47   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
yes a new baking plate is the ideal answer unless you are handy at making up a suitable spring retaining shape to weld on .. you must get the spring retainers off before removing the shoes .
Use VOLVO shoes , the poor quality ones wont hold very well also new discs and make sure the expanders are free which the cable attaches to through the backplate . bed them in for a while by gently applying the brake at 30 mph for 30 yards or so release to cool down do it a few times ..readjust and see how it is it should hold on the 2nd click when all is properly adjusted and good .
All of the above and you must check the surface in the inside of the drum/disc where the friction material comes into contact - if it’s corroded or has been corroded and it’s dull and shiny then they need to be changed as well. Polished rust is much more slippery than bare steel.

I’d also reiterate the point on genuine Volvo shoes, they’re not expensive and based on 6 years of reading about XC90 brakes on here you have a much better chance of success with them.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Nov 14th, 2020 at 10:49.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 11:40   #7
gmonag
Premier Member

I agree
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 17:18   #8
realslimshady

I also had this same mot problem, and saw online the adjustable spreaders that are available (on ebay) for about 15 quid. So I renewed the lot, discs, pads and shoes (eurocarparts I'll confess), and fitted the adjusters, and it is about as terrible as before. The garage managed to get it to pass-level efficiency, just, but it seems there's some fundamental problem, when every other car I've owned with this system hasn't had this issue...
realslimshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 20:16   #9
gmonag
Premier Member

Yes there is a fundamental problem, but I don't know what it is. The design seems to be the same as other Volvo models but the efficiency is only poor at best. However it does seem that it is vital to use genuine Volvo shoes to get any decent performance.
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 22:50   #10
realslimshady

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonag View Post
Yes there is a fundamental problem, but I don't know what it is. The design seems to be the same as other Volvo models but the efficiency is only poor at best. However it does seem that it is vital to use genuine Volvo shoes to get any decent performance.
might have to try that next year then!
realslimshady is offline   Reply With Quote