Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starter motor sounds slow to disengage

Views : 701

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 08:18   #1
2011dandd

Default Starter motor sounds slow to disengage

Yesterday I changed the fuel filter on the 240. What an absolute pain in the arse that was. Looked like the original that was still on there.

Any way consequently on re starting the car I might have let the starter run for to long to prime it all up again. I’m thinking this because the starter now seems slow to disengage, only for a fraction of a second once started, but it makes a wish sound like it’s running on momentarily. Hope that makes sense.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Can it be fixed with a clean and tiny bit of grease?
2011dandd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2011dandd For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 09:01   #2
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Mine did that the other day, out of the blue, I hadn't touched anything.
I was just wondering what to do about it, if anything, but it hasn't happened since. I'm just sort of assuming/hoping it's gone away.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 09:15   #3
2011dandd

I changed the air and fuel filter, had a look under the dizzy cap and that was it did not touch anything else or fit anything incorrectly. I’ll see how it goes. Might coincidentally be time for a new starter motor
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 10:11   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011dandd View Post
I’m thinking this because the starter now seems slow to disengage, only for a fraction of a second once started, but it makes a wish sound like it’s running on momentarily. Hope that makes sense.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Can it be fixed with a clean and tiny bit of grease?
Quote:
I changed the air and fuel filter, had a look under the dizzy cap and that was it did not touch anything else or fit anything incorrectly. I’ll see how it goes. Might coincidentally be time for a new starter motor
It sounds as if the solenoid plunger and/or the splines where the starter pinon slides in and out of engagement with the flywheel are dirty.

The "whoosh" sound is that of the unidirectional clutch in the starter pinion operating because the engine is turning it faster than the motor can.

Two options, first remove the starter and take it to your local autoelectrician/parts factor and buy an exchange unit. With the autoelectrician you also have the option of getting them to test, strip, diagnose and report before deciding but you will pay for this, usually about an hours labour. For this reason most will simply advise that you fit a recon unit.

Second option is to remove the starter and strip, clean and inspect it yourself. If you're not good with fiddly and especially unfamiliar fiddly, probably not a good option to choose.

Also some Bosch starters of the era yours is likely to be had an adjustable throw on the pinion, get this wrong and you could end up destroying the pinon and possibly the ring gear on the flywheel or chewing the end out of the starter nose.

If your starter does have this adjustment, you will have to reset it after stripping it down. Also if you're not familiar with what to look for, you may only give the starter a temporary reprieve.

My advice would be to source a reconditioned unit, these are usually sold on an exchange basis so make sure the place you're getting it from has one in stock before removing the starter so you can take your old unit in and not have to pay the exchange surcharge which you get back when you return your core unit.

Given that the pinion drive is one of the tougher and more expensive parts of the starter, if it is giving trouble then the chances are the brushes are worn, the commutator will need to be skimmed and undercut, the bushes renewed and reamed to the correct size and several other tasks not normally within the remit of the home mechanic.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 12:04   #5
2011dandd

Cheers Dave

Certainly sounds beyond me, I’m not into things of that fiddly nature.
Ok so my options are source a recon one, get mine repaired by a chap in Southampton that I have used before (mike at just alternators and starters), by a Second hand one in unknown condition or get a brand new cheaper quality unit of questionable quality.

Might see how long the old one holds out for
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2011dandd For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 12:08   #6
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Interesting post David. Very different from "yesterday" when one took the starter to the best local parts and repairs shop in a tough old bag, asked about buying a bendix and they aid sure and to save you buying the tool we'll fit it for you now. Couldn't drive there. The district nurse had my own starter temp. fitted in her jam jar so she could go on her rounds. Ah, the days when cars were made by Hornby, Meccanno ...

I do obviously like and appreciate pre-engaged starters of course.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 12:40   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Cheers Dave

Certainly sounds beyond me, I’m not into things of that fiddly nature.
Ok so my options are source a recon one, get mine repaired by a chap in Southampton that I have used before (mike at just alternators and starters), by a Second hand one in unknown condition or get a brand new cheaper quality unit of questionable quality.

Might see how long the old one holds out for
Mike is pretty good, Hedge End/Botley if memory serves correctly? Also there used to be Lavers at Hedge End, hidden behind the Audi dealers (Peter Cooper) on the roundbaout but you had to use the service road to access them. Not sure if they're still there, i know the apprentice as he was when i was there now runs his own business from somewhere in the Portsmouth area as i've seen his adverts online.

If Mike can do you a simple repair then it'll get you out of trouble but i suspect he'll only confirm what i've stated above, if the pinon is giving trouble the chances are the rest of it needs overhaul/recodnitioning and it would be cheaper to buy a complete recon unit.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 14:29   #8
2011dandd

I had a tractor dynamo and starter motor repaired by mike, it was a blinking saga getting to Southampton from Northamptonshire for that poxy old banger tractor, delivered it the week before the first lockdown and only picked it back up a couple of months ago. Another project that has gone by the wayside.

I might look for a recon unit, have you got the Bosch starter part number by any chance?

Cheers

Dan
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 15:00   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I had a tractor dynamo and starter motor repaired by mike, it was a blinking saga getting to Southampton from Northamptonshire for that poxy old banger tractor, delivered it the week before the first lockdown and only picked it back up a couple of months ago. Another project that has gone by the wayside.

I might look for a recon unit, have you got the Bosch starter part number by any chance?

Cheers

Dan
I haven't, no - without trying to be funny, you're the best person to find the part number as it will be stamped on the body of the starter - should start "0 001" then two groups each of 3 digits afterwards. If you have a camera phone with flash, stretching down with it is an easy way to get the number.

Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 17:33   #10
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Just to be clear - is this now a permanent fault, happening every time, or a one-off?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post: