Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

USB Bluetooth adaptor MY2011

Views : 1582

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 10:45   #1
andysausage

Default USB Bluetooth adaptor MY2011

I can hardly believe this actually worked. Bought a $1.88 USB receiver adaptor from aliexpress to plug into the USB socket in the glovebox. Had zero expectations.

Not only does it work, but the sound is perfectly adequate (Google Pixel 4xl). Steering controls work 'ok' with Spotify (don't have any other services or music on phone to test) - the only downside is the delay from skip track, it's about 3 seconds. Skipping tracks on phone in cradle is about 1-2 seconds.

Now I have proof of concept, does anyone know of a dongle that sounds good + quick response on skip track. for the avoidance of doubt, I'm connecting using USB, not a bluetooth dongle with 3.5mm out.

Last edited by andysausage; Dec 3rd, 2020 at 10:56.
andysausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 16:13   #2
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

I'm pleased you've achieved something, but I'm not sure what exactly...

Google Pixel is a phone, presumably with bluetooth, which could connect with bluetooth direct to the car. - Yes?

But you are connecting with bluetooth to an adaptor which is plugged into the USB connector in the glovebox. - Yes?

Rather than using a 3.5mm jack to connect to the socket in the centre console storage bin - Yes?

What I don't get is - why?

Just read your post again - are you using a USB cable from the phone to the USB connector in the glovebox via a "USB Receiver" (whatever that is)?

If so, I'm still not sure - why?

What am I missing?

Perhaps a pic, or link to the USB device, would help me to "get it".

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 06:22   #3
Jimmy90

Have you a link to what you bought.

I understand what you have achieved. My 2010 Bluetooth is for calls only. If I use the 3.5mm Jack the kids can't listen to the dvd player so I'm left with either the radio with horrendous reception or a cd which I have 0of. And as I use Android the usb socket has been redundant until now it seems. (I only use Amazon music so have no music to download into a usb drive)
Jimmy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 09:56   #4
andysausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Dave View Post
I'm pleased you've achieved something, but I'm not sure what exactly...

Google Pixel is a phone, presumably with bluetooth, which could connect with bluetooth direct to the car. - Yes?

But you are connecting with bluetooth to an adaptor which is plugged into the USB connector in the glovebox. - Yes?

Rather than using a 3.5mm jack to connect to the socket in the centre console storage bin - Yes?

What I don't get is - why?

Just read your post again - are you using a USB cable from the phone to the USB connector in the glovebox via a "USB Receiver" (whatever that is)?

If so, I'm still not sure - why?

What am I missing?

Perhaps a pic, or link to the USB device, would help me to "get it".

Cheers

Dave
No, my MY2011 does not have BT audio, just phone connectivity - I gather that was added shortly after this model year.

Yes, connecting to a 'USB bluetooth receiver dongle' which is plugged into the USB connection in the glovebox. The USB connection in the car was designed for MP3/iPod devices. Whist a modern iphone does connect, my Android doesn't. Still, even if it did work, I wouldn't want the wire trailing from the glovebox to the cradle anyway and the power is tiny to charge a modern phone efficiently.

Here's the device at aliexpress https://bit.ly/3g9BVnh

After using it for a few days, the sound 3-4 second delay is manageable if you're not flicking through tracks, I can see this being an issue for phone navigation though which I haven't tested yet. The sounds quality is excellent. No buzzing and a reasonable sound quality.

This device is Bluetooth standard '2', so going to look for a more up to date one to try and solve the delay issue. There really isn't much on the market though that I can find.
andysausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 14:56   #5
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Thanks for the explanation and the link

My confusion was because my 2011 (and 1/2) car has (as far as I am aware) BT connectivity for audio from the phone.

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 09:38   #6
Josh345

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, just bought a 2010 XC90 D5.
The stereo does not have any Bluetooth connectivity. However, it does have the USB port in the glove box as discussed in this thread.
Does anyone know is there a specific type of BT USB stick that you need to use on these (I.e. USB 4.0/5.0 etc etc) or will any of them work?
The old link to one on aliexpress doesn't work.

Kind regards,

Josh
Josh345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 06:25   #7
Jimmy90

I'm in the same position and can't afford a head unit replacement/upgrade currently for my 2010 rdesign.

With the kids using the rear dvd I'd be interested in this.
Old Oct 16th, 2022, 21:55   #8
Josh345

I bought one off amazon that I'm told should work. (Item number B099XB91V9).
It's not arrived yet, will update when it does 👍
Old Oct 29th, 2022, 06:58   #9
Jimmy90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh345 View Post
I bought one off amazon that I'm told should work. (Item number B099XB91V9).
It's not arrived yet, will update when it does 👍
Morning. How did you get on?
Old Nov 1st, 2022, 14:46   #10
Josh345

So, it just arrived.
Plugged it in, connected to phone easily and played music through the car.
Then I skipped track using steering wheel controls.
Hasn't worked since, phone connects but no sound comes out of the stereo.
When it was working the sound quality was pretty terrible too. I'll keep using the jack input. At least it didn't cost a fortune
The Following User Says Thank You to Josh345 For This Useful Post: