Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60/XC90 T8 Recharge Extended Range

Views : 1207

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2022, 13:08   #1
sk546
Master Member

Default XC60/XC90 T8 Recharge Extended Range

I have recently managed to bag one of the last build slots for a MY22.5 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered Extended Range (in Thunder Grey) after initially thinking I had missed the boat as the Polestar Engineered cars will not be produced in MY23 form. My build is due to arrive around mid June.
I currently have one of the first MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered cars with the 87hp electric motor and 11.6KwH batteries.
I am looking to get any initial driving thoughts or experiences from any XC60 or XC60 T8 Recharge owners with the Extended Range options (145hp electric motor and 18.8KwH battery). The ICE for the new drive-train has lost the Supercharger and dropped approx 15-20bhp compared to mine but the increase in electric power and range should more than make up for that (I hope).
One of my main questions is, has the subtraction of the supercharger made much of a change to the engine sound? The Supercharged and Turbocharged engine didn't make that great a sound anyway but at least the supercharger added a bit of character.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 21:12   #2
philipe5

Default Xc90 t8 extended range

I picked up a T8 inscription Pro XC90 a week ago having previously had a 2019 model XC90 T8 R Design. Went for light leather interior as wanted change from dark interior in R Design. In fact the interior mood lighting is done a bit better than previous model where it was hard to tell if there was any to be honest.
The main difference is the car is actually drivable on electric only especially in pure mode as it does not kick over to ICE despite how hard you accelerate.
The car is not quick off line in electric only mode but has more get up and go and once you get to 30mph it is much more spritely than the previous model when you put your foot down. So easier to keep up with urban traffic.
It is also much more usable in electric mode on A Roads and dual carriageways as you can actually get up to speed limits very easily where as previous model I had to nurse car up to speed limits.
The electric range is much better and enables most of my journeys to be done in electric mode. I have done a few longer trips as well so last week I have done 300 miles with 50:50 electric and petrol with average MPG of 64MPG.
My previous model had average over 3.5 years of about 48MPG.
I have not driven car hard but had a quick go in power mode today and it certainly seemed quick especially given size and weight of vehicle.
I would say the engine noise is less intrusive than previous model and in last model it probably growled a bit more no doubt the supercharger so would put this down to better insulation/me not being too heavy footed yet.
Overall very pleased with car and build quality so far as good or better than previous car and despite having bigger wheels than my old model rides better over rough roads - I have had 4 C Suspension on both models,
Volvo have done some cost cutting with keys you get one normal key and a bright orange one. Previous car had 2 leather keys and a sports key plus no proper paper manual if that bothers you.
Hope that helps!
philipe5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to philipe5 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 23:33   #3
cvsmjd

I picked up my XC60 T6 R Design Recharge extended range, last week, so not done many miles yet. I ordered in November. Only driven pure electric so far and getting around 37 miles from full charge, Its happy to cruise at motorway speeds 70 mpg in electric mode. Drive is very nice and the times it's switched to petrol don't notice the transition.
Floored the accelerator up hill and felt the petrol engine kick in and the acceleration was very impressive😁, unfortunately you need to go back to the central Android screen to change mode back to pure electric. Also need to do this with every start car up, hope a future software update remedies this. One pedal driving is great and works very well, very easily to change degree of regenerative braking, with side movement of gear stick.
So far AAOS (1.10) working well (fingers crossed) and not had any of the issues raised on the forum.
Was disappointed that both charge cables come without carry bags not sure why Volvo would need to be penny pinching on this (??).
Not impressed with the Volvo app, very little detail given, appears to be a work in progress.
Anyway sure you will enjoy the car!

Last edited by cvsmjd; Mar 22nd, 2022 at 23:45.
cvsmjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cvsmjd For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 06:55   #4
sk546
Master Member

Thanks for the input guys, all very good to know and seems to be exactly what I was hoping to hear.
My current XC60 only gets around 21 miles on electric only so increasing this to 37-40 miles will be a big improvement.
Very much looking forward to the 1 pedal driving, we had a Mini Electric when our other car was in for some warranty work and the system on that worked very well so will see what Volvo's take on it is.
I'm sad to hear about the cost cutting that Volvo seems to be adopting, its not like these cars are cheap in the first place. The lack of a decent second key isn't a show stopper as I'm sure Volvo will be able to supply another key (albeit at a nice cost I assume!!) but the charging cable bag not being supplied seems like a cost cutting too far. However, when I bought mine, you only got either the type 2 cable or the 3 pin cable free, the other was an additional cost. These days, I believe you get both at no additional cost so win some loose some.
My Volvo dealership did say that the Volvo App for the AAOS cars was nowhere near as advanced as the Volvo App for the Sensus cars but this was constantly being improved so I am hopeful that by the time my car arrives, there should be more functionality.

As far as I can see, the biggest loss between my current car and the new car will be loosing the steering wheel pedal shifters (as I use these quite a bit when driving in PE mode) and the loss of the Driving mode rotary wheel on the centre console as this made changing driving mode very easy. The new cars have the drive modes selection hidden away within the menu's.
Overall, still very much looking forward to getting the new car!!

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote