Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Information regarding EGR related problems and solutions.

Views : 227006

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Did this eliminated your problem?
No 5 21.74%
Sort of... 2 8.70%
Not completely, some problems persist.. 6 26.09%
Yes, everything is working fine now. 10 43.48%
Other option 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 10th, 2015, 11:51   #31
Biotoxic
Master Member

Here is the video in 4k https://youtu.be/gbQgz-DZWbg just change the video quality playback on YouTube(the gear icon beside full screen icon on the lower right side of the video)
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 22:27   #32
V40DSE

Unhappy Oil leak behind the engine d40d

I am new to this so please bear with me.
I have just bought a volvo v40dse estate on a 2002 plate.
There is a lot of oil behind the engine block just below what I assume is the air intake.
It is the 1.9 turbo diesel Renault engine.
I have been reading the post on egr valves.
The large diameter pipe coming from the top of the intercooler is coated with wet oil and the hole above the egr valve where the throttle body joins is also gummed up with wet oil and carbon.
The car goes along and starts fine except for a bit of hesitation at around 2000 rpm the car seems to slightly speed up and then hold back but if you floor it then it goes fine.
Can anyone help me with where the oil is coming from and how it is getting into the intercooler and what I need to do to fix it.
And if possible what gaskets If any I would need If I have to remove the inlet manifold.
Thanks.
V40DSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 00:57   #33
jorgepinheiro

What are the differences between the 2 parts EGR and the "Welded" One piece EGR?

thanks!
jorgepinheiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 20:00   #34
Biotoxic
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgepinheiro View Post
What are the differences between the 2 parts EGR and the "Welded" One piece EGR?

thanks!
it comes in one peace instead of two. I would think that it would be a bit more easier to remove the EGR since there is lot of surface to grip it and remove it from the Air intake housing.
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 23:12   #35
mick rh

Default Volvo S40 2.0 Diesel EGR

Hi new to the forum today, need some help with egr on S40 2.0 diesel, seems very sluggish on pickup upto 2000 rpm, got manual for car saturday find it hard to believe where & how it tells you to remove the egr for this model.

Can someone shed some light on where the egr is on this model & confirm that it is fairly easy to get at ?
After reading the manual i was left bit confused, having done egr on a previous car i had proved to be quite simple.
mick rh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 22:54   #36
andyredz
andyredz - c30 r design

Default Thanks +1

Excellent and thorough. Although I have to admit, I'm all for blanking and doing the necessary ECU adjustments along with a bit of tuning... But I do realise that for many, cleaning and keeping the car original is a valid and good option.
andyredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2016, 12:10   #37
joiner Alistair

Default egr problems

hi new to this forum but here goes I have a 2006 d5 v70 engine system service light came on so the codes read egr valve not working so got garage to replace both the valve and the position sensor car drives ok till you let it drop back down to tick over then goes in to limp home mode any ideas would be great!!!!!!!
joiner Alistair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2017, 21:20   #38
amclellan

Default EGR valve removal after 225,000 miles (360,000 km)

My Volvo V40 1.9 Diesel 115 bhp, is drinking more fuel, accelerating less well and the engine is hesitating at around 2000 rpm. The car has a full service history, so what is the problem? Then I noticed this thing called an EGR valve, which Volvo neither service nor check.

Inspired by this excellent thread by Biotoxic I thought I would clean my EGR valve. All went well. The solenoid separated from the EGR valve. But the EGR valve was stuck fast in the inlet manifold.

So, lots of penetrating fluid, a wooden stick and a rubber hammer were tried, with no reward.

Then a cold chisel and steel hammer was tried. The EGR valve was bruised but survived unmoved.

I realised that less brute force and more brain power was necessary. I researched the idea of heating the manifold and made a bespoke tool to use as a drift.

I know nothing about the manifold's aluminium alloy, but realised that an oxyacetylene torch would not be good. I settled for a hot air gun (1800 Watt, 600 Centigrade).

My new tool was made from an old tyre lever and a M8 nut and bolt.

An appropriate weight hammer was selected

I applied the hot air to the manifold casting in the area of the EGR valve. After about 10 minutes the EGR area of the casting had reached 50 Centigrade. Then the new tool was engaged in the bolt holes of the EGR valve. A few light strikes with the hammer caused the first movement of the EGR valve. 10 minutes later it was out.

It was oily, sooty and black. I tried to clean it with kerosene, acetone, carburetor cleaner and a toothbrush. None were that helpful. More reading suggested that a ultrasonic bath would clean this valve. I prepared a cleaning solution from detergent 5 g, sodium hydroxide 5 g and water 1.5 l. Three sessions in the bath left only a brown varnish on the valve.

The valve was so clean it slid straight back into the manifold.

Last edited by tt82; Feb 15th, 2017 at 21:19. Reason: Adding photos
amclellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2017, 21:41   #39
Ian499

Default s60 petrol T4 model

can you tell me if the above model has an EGR valve. My D4 has and I am thinking of switching to the T4 to avoid this problem . Have you any idea?
Cheers
Ian
Ian499 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian499 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 23:50   #40
Snowball28

Wow what a great post, I don’t have a problem at the moment but will be definitely coming back here if I do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snowball28 For This Useful Post:

Tags
egr problems, hesitating, sluggish, vaiotag