Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 599470

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2019, 21:04   #2101
xwigny

Default Oil consumption

Dear,

It's my first question on the forum but I think I've read all this thread.

I've a V70 D4 181hp and I after having issue with the EGR 2 years ago, I'm now facing the second well known issue with this motor: oil consumption.

In november last year, the car (125000 km) start to ask for 0.5L every +/- 6000 km (before that everything was fine). I've now 155.000 km and this week she resquested again another 0.5L but I have only drive 2000 km since the last refill. I don't know when this increase of oil consumption will stop. My dealer said that for Volvo it's still normal oil consumption.

My car is under the Volvo Selekt warranty. What are the technical solution that Volvo can offer me to fix this issue ? Do they will open the motor and fix it or is it realistic to expect to have a new one ? Other ideas ?

Kind regards,
xwigny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 15:37   #2102
haverer

I bought a 2015 XC60 D4 8 weeks ago and my engine management light came on a fortnight ago. Turns out it was this issue with the EGR Valve and Cooler. As my used car warranty had expired I emailed Volvo referencing all the known issues with the EGR Valve/Cooker. Here is their reply:

Thank you for your email.
We appreciate your feedback here u Customer Relations, and I can confirm that this has been noted against your case file.
I can confirm however that there are on current recalls against your vehicle. As you bought the car so recently, your legal right of redress lies with the selling *dealer and we would therefore suggest you take this further with the car dealer.

My car is out of the returns period with the dealership - I called them to advise what Volvo has said but they weren't interested. I found a repair bill in the glove compartment showing that the EML had appeared last year showing the same fault. It was was taken off, cleaned etc so it has happened before. Not what I was expecting with a 2 month old car which has cost me £20k! I will continue to pursue Volvo, it's an absolute joke this model hasn't been recalled and they are burying their heads in the sand. At the moment I have a car I am scared to drive incase it goes into limp mode so am currently using public transport to drive the 110 miles return journey to work each day!
haverer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 15:52   #2103
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haverer View Post
I bought a 2015 XC60 D4 8 weeks ago and my engine management light came on a fortnight ago. Turns out it was this issue with the EGR Valve and Cooler. As my used car warranty had expired I emailed Volvo referencing all the known issues with the EGR Valve/Cooker. Here is their reply:

We appreciate your feedback here u Customer Relations, and I can confirm that this has been noted against your case file.
I can confirm however that there are on current recalls against your vehicle. As you bought the car so recently, your legal right of redress lies with the selling *dealer and we would therefore suggest you take this further with the car dealer.

My car is out of the returns period with the dealership - I called them to advise what Volvo has said but they weren't interested. I found a repair bill in the glove compartment showing that the EML had appeared last year showing the same fault. It was was taken off, cleaned etc so it has happened before. Not what I was expecting with a 2 month old car which has cost me £20k! I will continue to pursue Volvo, it's an absolute joke this model hasn't been recalled and they are burying their heads in the sand. At the moment I have a car I am scared to drive incase it goes into limp mode so am currently using public transport to drive the 110 miles return journey to work each day!
what kind of company gives a warranty of less than 8 weeks ? the work is not a recall anyway .... It needs to be diagnosed at a volvo dealer and they should take out the carefully defined procedure which volvo have laid out .
Old May 16th, 2019, 16:10   #2104
haverer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
what kind of company gives a warranty of less than 8 weeks ? the work is not a recall anyway .... It needs to be diagnosed at a volvo dealer and they should take out the carefully defined procedure which volvo have laid out .
Was purchased from Arnold Clark. My next step will be to take it for a Volvo Dealer but going from that email directly from Volvo I don't hold out much hope of a successful resolution.
haverer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 17:19   #2105
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haverer View Post

How do you actually know the problem is both the EGR valve and cooler?

As already said, there was/is no recall... affected vehicles are diagnosed by a Volvo dealer and then Volvo UK make a goodwill contribution if certain conditions are met. I had mine both replaced recently... 100% goodwill on the cooler but only 50% goodwill on the valve, so it still cost me over £300.

You need to either visit a Volvo dealer and jump through the hoops to get a contribution (actually pretty easy, despite my car coming from an auction) or - preferably - getting the work done by the garage who sold you the car as they are legally responsible... them having no legal responsibility after only 8 weeks is utter nonsense. Maybe get some decent legal advice and stop being fobbed off.
Old May 16th, 2019, 19:00   #2106
ChrisFromFrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwigny View Post
Dear,
I've a V70 D4 181hp and I after having issue with the EGR 2 years ago, I'm now facing the second well known issue with this motor: oil consumption.
Hello

According to Volvo, an oil consumption above 0.5 liter per 1000 kms is abnormal.

If I were you:
- Ask your Volvo dealer to weight the oil used during 1000kms
- even if the consumption is below 0.5/1000, you will have an paper with date and oil consumption, this can be helpful in the future...

But be sure that Volvo will ask you to make a leakage test at your fees (1000€) if the oil consumption is abnormal.

Then, if like mine, the leaks are located at the intake valves and the piston rings, they will ask you to open the engine to check the piston head and perhaps to remove the cylinders to check the rings.... at your fees .

Then, probably they will made an offer, but as your car has reached 155000kms, they will not pay 100% of the costs.

Usually before 100000kms => 100%
then -10% each 10000kms

100% should be possible if this oil consumption affect many customers and if we press Volvo as a group of customers.

Another point, if you haven't any written evidence that your engine burns oil, get rid of of your car, if not like me... your car worths nothing, and your car becomes unsailable.

Good luck
Christophe
Old May 17th, 2019, 07:21   #2107
xwigny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromFrance View Post
Hello

Another point, if you haven't any written evidence that your engine burns oil, get rid of of your car, if not like me... your car worths nothing, and your car becomes unsailable.

Good luck
Christophe
Thank Christophe for your reply full of very interesting informations and advices.

As many of us, I convinced that the situation is not normal and is the result of a wrong design of the engine. Hopefuly, I have extended the warranty period and I'm covered until end of february. This should ease the discussion with Volvo, otherwise I also have an insurrance that will cover any legal actions. As you said, curently my car worth nothing because I cannot sell it anymore. This forum is a proof that I was aware of the issue but anyway, I don't want to sell something that I know is not working as it should.

I think I will wait untill the car consume at least 0,5l/1000km (this should be the case soon) and at that time I will inform my dealer that I want to have a fix (for free). If they refuse, I will start a legal action. As the car is running, I have the time to do that. I will just buy 10 liters of oil to have a small reserve. In the worst case scenario, I will replace the engine with a remanufactured one (3200€ + workload) around 240000km instead of just the timing belt like any normal car.

I have 2 other questions:
- does someone already try to use another oil grade (0-30 for example). This should be less expensive and the oil will stay longer in the engine. The 0-20 that Volvo want us to use is really thin as water?
- what about the exhaust with all this oil consummed ? The DPF for example.

Regards
Old May 17th, 2019, 09:31   #2108
V A L I

Hi all, I have a problem. Maybe some of you solved it. My car, Volvo V40 D2 (2016 model , made in 12.2015, 185k km, D4204T8 engine code ) has the check engine light is on and the error (P04D900) seems to be from the EGR or EGR cooler (I have already read so many pages of this topic ).
The car doesn't has warranty anymore. I have asked a local dealer and he said they don't have a recall for this problem.

What I can do to solve it, beside changing it. Does any of you did EGR delete ? How is this affecting the engine?
V A L I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 09:56   #2109
ChrisFromFrance

I have also an insurrance with cover any legal actions and an insurrance with cover engine dammage.
These insurrances have maximum compensation amounts, and these maximum don't cover the fees you can have, mine is about 2000€ for legal action and 3500€ for mechanical damage.
Furthermore, they will consider the age and the number of kilometers of the car to calculate the compensation amount and of course they will ask you to make some test to understand the problem (leakage test, ....). These tests costs will use a part of the compensation.

Where goes the oil...in the DPF and the catalytic converter which will last less than expected for sure.
Old May 17th, 2019, 12:53   #2110
xwigny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromFrance View Post
I have also an insurrance with cover any legal actions and an insurrance with cover engine dammage.
These insurrances have maximum compensation amounts, and these maximum don't cover the fees you can have, mine is about 2000€ for legal action and 3500€ for mechanical damage.
Furthermore, they will consider the age and the number of kilometers of the car to calculate the compensation amount

The warranty that I have is a Volvo one. There is no limit to the compensation amounts. As I have an issue they have to fix it (open and repair the engine or change it). In this situation the age or the kms doesn't impact the bill that Volvo as to paid.

This is my point of view but I sure that this will not be as simple as I said. Nevertheless, currently I have no issue at all according to Volvo as my car consume only 7 litres of oil between 2 services...