Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 600617

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 15:20   #2131
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V A L I View Post
Hi, Do you know if there is a DYI tutorial on how to clean the EGR valve on our type of Volvo?

Also, as I know the latest software update keeps the EGR Valve closed most of the time.
I have the ECM light on an I want to clean just the EGR (not the cooler) in order to see if it goes OFF.

P.S.: Also I want to know what is "snake oil" and how to use it.
Sorry, I've never seen a DIY tutorial for this. If you need to clean the valve then you probably also need to clean the cooler.

I doubt the latest software update keeps the valve mostly closed. That's more something that VW/Audi might do!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 09:12   #2132
V A L I

I was wondering if my EGR valve is only blocked.
To clean the cooler is complicated, because it can't be cleaned with invasive solutions because it will crack. It must be cleaned with ultrasounds.

Related to what I said that the latest sw update keeps the EGR mostly closed not to block the cooler, the parameters can be readed with VIDA before and after the update.

I want to use the snake oil ))

Last edited by V A L I; Jun 4th, 2019 at 09:19.
V A L I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 08:15   #2133
John90

Quote:
Originally Posted by V A L I View Post
Hi, Do you know if there is a DYI tutorial on how to clean the EGR valve on our type of Volvo?

Also, as I know the latest software update keeps the EGR Valve closed most of the time.
I have the ECM light on an I want to clean just the EGR (not the cooler) in order to see if it goes OFF.

P.S.: Also I want to know what is "snake oil" and how to use it.
The snake oils come in two forms a spray that you put in the intake or additives you add to the diesel.

I initially tried Redex as that was the only thing in the motorway services but the light came back on. Then used Wynns additive but light came back on. Then used Wynns spray but again light returned. Then tried Comma additive and the light didn't return during that tank of fuel. Then added Forte additive as I read positive reviews for other car brands and the light has now remained off for 4 tanks of fuel, so around 2500 miles. I only used Shell Optimax diesel while adding additives but have returned to using regular diesel from a variety of stations now.

The Comma was the additive that appeared to work, but it could have been a combination of the others too of course.

As I say I don't know if it was a cooler or egr issue, how bad it was or how clean it is now, but has cleaned something well enough to remove the error for 2500 miles so far. The car has only done 25k miles. It did 12000 miles of mixed driving in my ownership during the last year.

Last edited by John90; Jun 6th, 2019 at 08:57.
John90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 10:26   #2134
John90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Fortunately, warranty is irrelevant to the goodwill contributions. When I bought mine last year it was over 3 years old and came from an auction, so no dealer warranty.

A simple look at the underbonnet pipework will tell if you have the original cooler, as it tapped into the top rad hose... the later, improved EGR cooler tapped into the cooling system elsewhere to reduce the cooling effect. There are proper detailed explanations of this earlier in this thread.

What trouble codes were you previously getting?
Thanks, in that case it looks like I'm on the original cooler as my top hose has a t-piece in it.

The codes were always the same, forget the code ref now but the text was egr lower than expected flow detected
John90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 11:00   #2135
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John90 View Post
Thanks, in that case it looks like I'm on the original cooler as my top hose has a t-piece in it.

The codes were always the same, forget the code ref now but the text was egr lower than expected flow detected
Yeah, that'll be the original cooler.

The short OBD2 code for that problem is normally P04D9.
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 11:48   #2136
V A L I

Quote:
Originally Posted by John90 View Post
The snake oils come in two forms a spray that you put in the intake or additives you add to the diesel.

I initially tried Redex as that was the only thing in the motorway services but the light came back on. Then used Wynns additive but light came back on. Then used Wynns spray but again light returned. Then tried Comma additive and the light didn't return during that tank of fuel. Then added Forte additive as I read positive reviews for other car brands and the light has now remained off for 4 tanks of fuel, so around 2500 miles. I only used Shell Optimax diesel while adding additives but have returned to using regular diesel from a variety of stations now.

The Comma was the additive that appeared to work, but it could have been a combination of the others too of course.

As I say I don't know if it was a cooler or egr issue, how bad it was or how clean it is now, but has cleaned something well enough to remove the error for 2500 miles so far. The car has only done 25k miles. It did 12000 miles of mixed driving in my ownership during the last year.
My car har over 115 k miles (185k km). I think it has the original EGR+cooler. It's a D2 Volvo V40 from 12.2015.
I will try with an aditive, but if the valve is blocked I don't think that an Aditive could clean it.

Last edited by V A L I; Jun 6th, 2019 at 12:02.
V A L I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2019, 00:08   #2137
Jslim

Default Untrustworthy Volvo North London

I posted my experiences with VEA D4 engines before.
I dealt with Volvo Shrewsbury (who I bought the car) and Volvo North London (who I took in for repair).

As a conclusion,

I personally will never deal with any Endeavor Group, which includes Volvo North London and would not ever recommend anyone to deal with them.

To see what happened follow the link;
https://goo.gl/maps/oXMc589jmj8sqE6RA

Volvo North London is clearly trying to cover up for their errors as in the first instance I took the car for repair and they did NOT mention anything about 14 days period nor Volvo headquarters UK and Volvo Shrewsbury.

I called them all as soon as I left Volvo north London.

They clearly told me that my car is not under Selekt Warranty as Volvo North London is part of Endeavor Group.

Everything contradicts to what they responded to my review as the EGR was actually fixed by Volvo North London first time, NOT Shrewsbury.

In the response they try not to take the responsibility for the second repair after 3 months when they actually fixed the EGR initially themselves.

Even then, it should have be covered under Selekt Warranty BUT they told me that it is not covered under warranty as it is diesel engine and sent me the quote for further tests.

Shrewsbury Volvo took the car as Volvo North London didn't want to repair the car and Shrewsbury, the next day and gave me a courtesy car and the owner himself called directly to ensure everything was taken care of.

It is upsetting to see the untruthful, careless and uninformed response from the Head of Business at Volvo North London.

I personally will never deal with any Endeavor Group and would not ever recommend anyone to deal with them.

Please avoid at any cost!!!

Below is my review and response from the Volvo north London.

To start with conclusion based on my experiences with the Volvo North London, I will not ever go back to them and highly likely that I won't buy or keep my Volvo until I find another trustworthy Volvo dealer, who is accessible from London other than Endeavor Volvo, which includes North London Volvo.
I bought Selekt Approved Vehicle with national warranty for 12 months from Volvo Shrewsbury in 11/18.
Unfortunately, the day I bought the vehicle I got an EML on, on my way back to London. The DTC was directing to EGR, which is very common with VEA engines.
As it is Selekt car, I took it into a local official dealer, who was Volvo North London as it is covered by warranty.
However, Volvo North London informed me they DO NOT honor Volvo Selekt Warranty as they are part of Endeavor Group, which I though it is very odd as they also sell Volvo Selekt Warranty Vehicles.
They refused to do anything until I confirm that I will pay for all charges.
They were very clear that they are part of Endeavor Group and will not be honoring Volvo Selekt Warranty and they did not wish to speak to the dealer who sold me the vehicle.
I called on my personal phone to the dealer who I bought the vehicle from and put the service manager on to Volvo North London in order to get Volvo North London talking.
After few phone calls and Volvo Shrewsbury confirming to North London that they will cover any cost, Volvo North London started with the diagnostics and repairs.
This is contradicting on Volvo Selekt Warranty as the warranty clearly states
-“Should it be necessary to make a claim under this warranty, simply return the vehicle to the your nearest UK Authorised Volvo Repairer, who will complete the repairs and process the claim on your behalf.”-. As Volvo North London is official dealership and repairer who sells Selekt vehicles, they did not honor and serve either as official dealer and what the Selekt warranty states in their booklet.
Secondly, only after 3 months and about 3,000 miles of driving after the repair on EGR at Volvo north London, another EGR fault code appeared and I called Volvo North London for repairs.
Their stance has changed in 3 months strangely, as they said my vehicle will be honored Selekt Warranty.
Unfortunately, after dropping off the car, the customer adviser called to say that the problem needs cylinder head opening for further diagnostics, which will cost £1,520 just to open the cylinder and further charges will occur.
AND this will NOT be covered under warranty as it is a diesel engine.
Warranty is not covered on diesel engine? I do not understand why the warranty exists in first place and Volvo owners club has thousands of posts relating to common EGR problems, where most of the dealers offered free or made big contribution to repairs vehicles even without warranty.
The car sat in VNL for 1 week without any courtesy car when it clearly states;
"You are entitled to a like-for-like car for a maximum of 10 days, whilst your vehicle is being repaired..."
Volvo Shrewsbury stepped in again after hearing my story and immediately the owner of Volvo Shrewsbury called to say that they will pick up the car and left me with a courtesy car.
Just before Shrewsbury took the car, I called VNL and asked why it was not under warranty and the adviser said that she does not know why.
The repair was done in Volvo Shrewsbury promptly and returned in mint condition.
It is clear and obvious, over the two occasions that the Volvo North London is trying to avoid the repairs and dishonour the warranty program, which is guaranteed by the Volvo UK.
For this reason I will never go back to Volvo Endeavor group again and will never buy another Volvo until there will be a reliable dealership who is trustworthy that will honour their words within London.

Response from the owner a day ago
Dear Joseph,

Thank you for your review and we are saddened that you have felt the need to write this review… We’re passionate about what we do and knowing where we went wrong is important to us, as it allows us to correct our mistakes and make sure they don’t happen again. Unfortunately however, we have there were many circumstances in this situation that did not allow us to assist you as we would have wished. The decision to not undertake the repair under the Volvo Selekt Warranty initially was not our decision but was a matter between that needed to be addressed by the selling dealer as it was still within the initial 14 day period post purchase which did not cover the repair. This is why your vehicle went back to Shrewsbury for the repair as you had only just bought it from them. We did try to explain this to you and whilst I appreciate it may have seemed odd that it wasn’t covered by the warranty, at such an early stage after purchase, it is the selling dealers responsibility to rectify any concerns or faults.

3 months later when your vehicle developed a fault, taking in to account the above, we were of course then able to undertake the work to your vehicle as it was beyond the initial period of 14 days. Unfortunately, as the work was related to a previous repair (EGR Repair done by Shrewsbury previously), until we had stripped the cylinder head to identify what had happened, we were not able to identify who would be responsible for the costs and who would cover the time we would spend working on the vehicle you had purchased from Shrewsbury.

We are a reputable organisation who do things the correct way and whilst we do not always get it right, we believe that we have done all that we could in regards to you and your vehicle. Shrewsbury have sold you a vehicle and the concerns and faults you have had should be discussed with them in greater depth. Volvo UK Customer Service Team were fully aware of your case and we liaised with them throughout both visit of your vehicle to our dealership.

I am happy to discuss this with you directly in person or over the phone should you wish to do so. As your local dealer, we would like nothing more than to have a relationship with you and perhaps I can better articulate what happened with your vehicle than has been done previously. I am sorry that we have been unable to meet your expectations on this occasion and hope that we may be given an opportunity to put that right in the future.

Kind Regards

Fash Vaziri
Head of Business
Volvo Cars North London
Jslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2019, 00:16   #2138
Jslim

Default Untrustworthy Volvo North London

I dealt with Volvo Shrewsbury (who I bought the car) and Volvo North London (who I took in for repair).

As a conclusion,

I personally will never deal with any Endeavor Group, which includes Volvo North London and would not ever recommend anyone to deal with them.

To see what happened follow the link;
https://goo.gl/maps/oXMc589jmj8sqE6RA

Volvo North London is clearly trying to cover up for their errors as in the first instance I took the car for repair and they did NOT mention anything about 14 days period nor Volvo headquarters UK and Volvo Shrewsbury.

I called them all as soon as I left Volvo north London.

They clearly told me that my car is not under Selekt Warranty as Volvo North London is part of Endeavor Group.

Everything contradicts to what they responded to my review as the EGR was actually fixed by Volvo North London first time, NOT Shrewsbury.

In the response they try not to take the responsibility for the second repair after 3 months when they actually fixed the EGR initially themselves.

Even then, it should have be covered under Selekt Warranty BUT they told me that it is not covered under warranty as it is diesel engine and sent me the quote for further tests.

Unlike the owner said it was not even in discussion that Shrewsbury was responsible for the first fix.

They only said it was not covered as it was diesel engine, where I was dumbfounded.

When I asked them once again just before Shrewsbury took the car, they said the are not sure where they did not give a straight answer why it was not covered under Selekt Warranty.

Shrewsbury Volvo took the car as Volvo North London didn't want to repair the car and Shrewsbury, the next day and gave me a courtesy car and the owner himself called directly to ensure everything was taken care of.

It is upsetting to see the untruthful, careless and uninformed response from the Head of Business at Volvo North London.

I personally will never deal with any Endeavor Group and would not ever recommend anyone to deal with them.

Please avoid at any cost!!!

Below is my review and response from the Volvo north London.

To start with conclusion based on my experiences with the Volvo North London, I will not ever go back to them and highly likely that I won't buy or keep my Volvo until I find another trustworthy Volvo dealer, who is accessible from London other than Endeavor Volvo, which includes North London Volvo.
I bought Selekt Approved Vehicle with national warranty for 12 months from Volvo Shrewsbury in 11/18.
Unfortunately, the day I bought the vehicle I got an EML on, on my way back to London. The DTC was directing to EGR, which is very common with VEA engines.
As it is Selekt car, I took it into a local official dealer, who was Volvo North London as it is covered by warranty.
However, Volvo North London informed me they DO NOT honor Volvo Selekt Warranty as they are part of Endeavor Group, which I though it is very odd as they also sell Volvo Selekt Warranty Vehicles.
They refused to do anything until I confirm that I will pay for all charges.
They were very clear that they are part of Endeavor Group and will not be honoring Volvo Selekt Warranty and they did not wish to speak to the dealer who sold me the vehicle.
I called on my personal phone to the dealer who I bought the vehicle from and put the service manager on to Volvo North London in order to get Volvo North London talking.
After few phone calls and Volvo Shrewsbury confirming to North London that they will cover any cost, Volvo North London started with the diagnostics and repairs.
This is contradicting on Volvo Selekt Warranty as the warranty clearly states
-“Should it be necessary to make a claim under this warranty, simply return the vehicle to the your nearest UK Authorised Volvo Repairer, who will complete the repairs and process the claim on your behalf.”-. As Volvo North London is official dealership and repairer who sells Selekt vehicles, they did not honor and serve either as official dealer and what the Selekt warranty states in their booklet.
Secondly, only after 3 months and about 3,000 miles of driving after the repair on EGR at Volvo north London, another EGR fault code appeared and I called Volvo North London for repairs.
Their stance has changed in 3 months strangely, as they said my vehicle will be honored Selekt Warranty.
Unfortunately, after dropping off the car, the customer adviser called to say that the problem needs cylinder head opening for further diagnostics, which will cost £1,520 just to open the cylinder and further charges will occur.
AND this will NOT be covered under warranty as it is a diesel engine.
Warranty is not covered on diesel engine? I do not understand why the warranty exists in first place and Volvo owners club has thousands of posts relating to common EGR problems, where most of the dealers offered free or made big contribution to repairs vehicles even without warranty.
The car sat in VNL for 1 week without any courtesy car when it clearly states;
"You are entitled to a like-for-like car for a maximum of 10 days, whilst your vehicle is being repaired..."
Volvo Shrewsbury stepped in again after hearing my story and immediately the owner of Volvo Shrewsbury called to say that they will pick up the car and left me with a courtesy car.
Just before Shrewsbury took the car, I called VNL and asked why it was not under warranty and the adviser said that she does not know why.
The repair was done in Volvo Shrewsbury promptly and returned in mint condition.
It is clear and obvious, over the two occasions that the Volvo North London is trying to avoid the repairs and dishonour the warranty program, which is guaranteed by the Volvo UK.
For this reason I will never go back to Volvo Endeavor group again and will never buy another Volvo until there will be a reliable dealership who is trustworthy that will honour their words within London.

Response from the owner a day ago
Dear Joseph,

Thank you for your review and we are saddened that you have felt the need to write this review… We’re passionate about what we do and knowing where we went wrong is important to us, as it allows us to correct our mistakes and make sure they don’t happen again. Unfortunately however, we have there were many circumstances in this situation that did not allow us to assist you as we would have wished. The decision to not undertake the repair under the Volvo Selekt Warranty initially was not our decision but was a matter between that needed to be addressed by the selling dealer as it was still within the initial 14 day period post purchase which did not cover the repair. This is why your vehicle went back to Shrewsbury for the repair as you had only just bought it from them. We did try to explain this to you and whilst I appreciate it may have seemed odd that it wasn’t covered by the warranty, at such an early stage after purchase, it is the selling dealers responsibility to rectify any concerns or faults.

3 months later when your vehicle developed a fault, taking in to account the above, we were of course then able to undertake the work to your vehicle as it was beyond the initial period of 14 days. Unfortunately, as the work was related to a previous repair (EGR Repair done by Shrewsbury previously), until we had stripped the cylinder head to identify what had happened, we were not able to identify who would be responsible for the costs and who would cover the time we would spend working on the vehicle you had purchased from Shrewsbury.

We are a reputable organisation who do things the correct way and whilst we do not always get it right, we believe that we have done all that we could in regards to you and your vehicle. Shrewsbury have sold you a vehicle and the concerns and faults you have had should be discussed with them in greater depth. Volvo UK Customer Service Team were fully aware of your case and we liaised with them throughout both visit of your vehicle to our dealership.

I am happy to discuss this with you directly in person or over the phone should you wish to do so. As your local dealer, we would like nothing more than to have a relationship with you and perhaps I can better articulate what happened with your vehicle than has been done previously. I am sorry that we have been unable to meet your expectations on this occasion and hope that we may be given an opportunity to put that right in the future.

Kind Regards

Fash Vaziri
Head of Business
Volvo Cars North London
Old Jun 12th, 2019, 07:43   #2139
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslim View Post
I dealt with Volvo Shrewsbury (who I bought the car) and Volvo North London (who I took in for repair)...
Why did it have to be repaired twice? Was the cylinder head eventually removed for further diagnosis? Then what?

Why not take the faulty car back to the dealer who you bought it from? Surely that would always be the best approach, whatever the 'Selekt' warranty claims?

I have used Shrewsbury Volvo for repairs and servicing and have always been very pleased with them. But it's a shame they sold a duff car that had obviously not been properly tested before sale (even if it appears to be running well, the EGR system can be exercised and tested with dedicated diagnostic equipment).

This all merely confirms my opinion that paying the premium price for a Volvo 'Selekt' vehicle is a complete waste.
Old Jun 12th, 2019, 08:56   #2140
Jslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Why did it have to be repaired twice? Was the cylinder head eventually removed for further diagnosis? Then what?

Why not take the faulty car back to the dealer who you bought it from? Surely that would always be the best approach, whatever the 'Selekt' warranty claims?

I have used Shrewsbury Volvo for repairs and servicing and have always been very pleased with them. But it's a shame they sold a duff car that had obviously not been properly tested before sale (even if it appears to be running well, the EGR system can be exercised and tested with dedicated diagnostic equipment).

This all merely confirms my opinion that paying the premium price for a Volvo 'Selekt' vehicle is a complete waste.
Hi,

First time it was fixed by Volvo North London and second by Shrewsbury as North London didn't want to repair it under warranty and send me a bill for cylinder head opening.

First time it was the valve and the cooler. Seoncd time not sure.
I assume it had the original parts and never had updated parts fitted.
Second time I don't know if Shrewsbury removed head cylinder head but the car is now running well.
I will try to find the worksheet and keep you updated on what happened.

I am based in London so it was 3 hours each way to Shrewsbury, which wasn't ideal for me.
That's why I bought the Selekt, which covers nationwide, which seems very complicated depending on which dealer I have to deal with.

It would have been much better if I didn't have the egr issue but looking at this thread it looks I'm not alone on egr problem. I just hope there won't be any further problem after my warranty runs out in few months.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jslim For This Useful Post: