Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fault code EFI 716 717 on a V70tdi 1998

Views : 5879

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2015, 18:50   #11
Supercalm

Default Fixed!

For anyone with similar problem this has fixed this fault. Quite handy to know as there is no other info on this problem.
Supercalm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Supercalm For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 07:34   #12
bjorn17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercalm View Post
For anyone with similar problem this has fixed this fault. Quite handy to know as there is no other info on this problem.

Does anybody have a bit more info on this problem and resolve? I am having the same fault code appearing from time to time with no other problems or bad behaviour to speak of. Would like to get rid of the Lambda error that comes on the instrument panel whenever the code hits.

Just don´t get exactly what needs to be removed in the pump area and how it effects the problem or anything else for that matter.

Best regards,
Bjorn from Estonia
bjorn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 05:54   #13
bjorn17

Still trying to figure this out. Anyone?
Old Jul 24th, 2016, 14:04   #14
hal9000f

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn17 View Post
Still trying to figure this out. Anyone?
I have 11/1996 Volvo 850 TDI. Bought it back in 3/2004, so I'm the owner for almost 12 years.

First time I got "EFI 716 Quantity of fuel signal" error code was in 9/2013. It appeared after experiencing very rough rattling idle, and rough driving at slower speeds up to 40-50 km/h. Must add that it was strange that it took 2-3 days of such symptoms before the CE light lit up. It never stalled.

Google suggested to check the cables and connectors first. I had no knowledge about the fuel pump connectors at the time, so I disconnected only the 3 pin connector I could see and reach (I was away on holidays on a small remote island at the time so I had limited access to everything).

The idea was to disconnect and reconnect it repeatedly to scratch the metal pins inside and then I dried it with some paper and finally left it overnight to dry cause the area around was dirty and greasy or oily.

I connected it the next day and everything was fine! And it lasted for about six months. All in all it happened 4 times in the last 3 years, but I was never 100% sure, cause I had the car in the shop and besides cleaning that 3 pin connector they also cleaned few other connectors.

The 4th time it happened was 2 months ago, I was on holidays again, and also I had reconditioned the MAF before that, so while on the island, I was not sure what to blame...

Came back home and did some research on the pump connectors to see if I can find the link between the rough idle and the pins (signals) on the connectors.

So, there are 2 cables/connectors on the pump. One is the 7 pin, and the other is the 3 pin I am writing about. I found that one of the three pins is a power supply fot the "Fuel Shutoff valve (solenoid)", and the other two control the "Solenoid valve for start-of-injection timing".

So first I disconnected the 3 pin connector and sprayed it with proper contact cleaner and left it overnight. It improved, but it wasn't good. Then the following weekend when I had enough time, I checked it again and found it to be wet, probably it did not dry enough overnight. So this time I cleaned it and dried it very thoroughly.

That rigorous cleaning and drying was a month ago, and since then I drove more than 2.200 kms and everything is fine without the symptoms whatsoever!!! :-)

Hope it helps.
hal9000f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 12:54   #15
bjorn17

Thanks for the reply. I have tried to clean the 3-pin connector. I might have a go again since the error still displays at random times every few weeks or so. No other symptoms to be had.
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 17:56   #16
hal9000f

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn17 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have tried to clean the 3-pin connector. I might have a go again since the error still displays at random times every few weeks or so. No other symptoms to be had.
Just to let everybody know how this ended for me...

I have cut the wires and removed the 3-pin connector and connected the pump directly.

It was last summer (2017), and a whole year passed without any problems and the rough idle never happened again :-)
hal9000f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 16:08   #17
2valves

Very useful thread, I was getting the 717 code and lambda light on my S70 TDI. Cleaned the stop solenoid connector with deoxit and seems to have fixed the issue
2005 Renault Clio Rush dci 65 104,000 miles
2008 Renault Clio Campus 8V SOLD
2valves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2valves For This Useful Post:

Tags
v70 tdi fault code