Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2011 V50 1.6D DRIVe problems finding first gear

Views : 2210

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 26th, 2017, 23:16   #1
spoonthief

Default 2011 V50 1.6D DRIVe problems finding first gear

Hi

I've had my 2011 V50 1.6D DRIVe SE Lux for about 18 months now, and I've noticed a problem finding first gear that seems to be getting worse.

This tends to happen having stopped, put it into neutral, and then when I go to set off again it just won't go into first and feels like it would do some damage if it was forced. This also seems to happen more after a long motorway drive with few gear changes, or if moving from reverse to first when parking. Rolling to a standstill it goes into first fine, and I'm just having to sit with the clutch down, otherwise I have to shift the gearstick around a bit to get things moving - it sometimes won't go into second either. Third is OK, but obviously can't be setting off in third too often.

I've asked a couple of independent garages: one said DMF (which seems unlikely?), another said it was a gearbox issue but they wouldn't be able to say exactly without taking it apart at great expense. They couldn't find any issue with the gearbox fluid, and they said the gear linkage was slightly loose but not enough to make much difference. I've also read that it could be the clutch slave cylinder, but the garage didn't seem to think so, although they couldn't find any evidence of anything wrong at all.

I've been considering taking it to Volvo in the hope that they will be able to identify the issue, but I'm guessing that would be pricey.
My other options are to replace the clutch and hope for the best, or get the gearbox inspected properly.

Any advice or ideas about what the issue might be would be really appreciated.

Cheers!
spoonthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 16:27   #2
Petey80
Premier Member

This sounds a little like the problem I've just had.

This video shows my issue - https://video.citnow.com/vtVL05_5JwS

Wednesday morning I drove the car up a dual carriage way [25 miles or so] got to a 2nd round a bout and changing gears was stiff as hell going into anyone of them.
Eventually I was unable to get it into any gear with the engine running.

Engine turned off it would go into any gear. Are you able to put it into any gear easily with the engine off?

It could be anyone of the issues highlighted in the video above on my car [1.6D D2, not sure if yours is the D2 or not. 5 or 6 gears?]

Since this I've been searching the net looking for info on DMF's. There's no real reason as to why they fail.
Some can fail in as little as 30k miles or can go on for over 100k miles.
I'm not finding any particular reasons for failure either, but things have cropped up like riding the clutch, sitting with clutch depressed at traffic lights, booting it at low revs, driving too much at low revs, the list goes on.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 22:30   #3
spoonthief

Thanks for your reply and for the video - didn't know they sent video updates on health checks!

Mine is the 6 speed gearbox, and yeah with the engine off there's no problem selecting any of the gears. It's really unpredictable, and usually rights itself after waiting a while - but obviously can't be doing that driving in traffic.

Maybe taking it to Volvo isn't such a bad idea.

Thanks again
spoonthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 22:47   #4
Petey80
Premier Member

No problem, happy to help.

I think I got the video due to needing it for a 3rd party warranty claim.
I have the pleasure of sorting it all out tomorrow.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 12:18   #5
Bloders2

if it goes into gear with the engine off its your clutch/DMF gone almost guaranteed IMO

does it go into reverse ok?
If it is clutch/DMF, Id expect it to crunch as there is no snchro on reverse.

with engine running and in neutral, with foot OFF the clutch (to make sure gearbox is turning etc) then press clutch and try reverse.
Bloders2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bloders2 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 19:30   #6
MacV50
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonthief View Post
and usually rights itself after waiting a while - but obviously can't be doing that driving in traffic
That's an interesting comment. Could simply be an issue with the clutch hydraulics. Might be worth a clutch hydraulic fluid change.

If it was a wear issue with the clutch or gearbox I'd expect it to be quite consistent
MacV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MacV50 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 00:45   #7
chillout

hello
did you managed to sort it out?
what was the problem?
I have exactly the same symptoms.
noticed it around 6 monts ago, but recently it got worse,
especially with cold engine i simply need to force in first gear
and add some force on second, rest of the gears works perfectly.
after driving for 15 min it gets noticeably better.
Regards Eddie.
chillout is offline   Reply With Quote